Bareback pad question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamondinmypocket

Reaction score
Ok my 2 year old loves her pony Diamond. She rode her once bareback with 2 people on each side and a leadline. Diamond did a quick sidestep, she lost balance, slipped out of my grip and ended up on the ground. (dad still had her but he was caught off guard.) She cried, got over it and was loving on diamond the next day. But we have kept her on the ground since then while we try to figure out a safe plan to get her back on. Helmet, check, solid bombproof mini, check, experienced trainer and riders, check, but no conclusion on saddle vrs. Bareback pad. I feel if a child learns bareback first, a natural seat and balance develop better. If she has a future in horses, she will be hunter/jumper.

I would like to start taking walks with Diamond and claire, and I am thinking about a bareback pad. Can someone guide me on what I need to look for, where I can find one (used hopefully) other than craigslist and how much I can expect to pay? Even ebay seems short on used stuff but maybe after christmas it change.

And I have to add this... Claire has starting bringing her stepstool next to our lab, puts her lovey blanket on her back, and tries to climb on. Poor Dakota... Shes an awesome dog! But not a pony! ;)

Go with a basic leadline saddle over a bareback pad. I have never found a decent bareback pad that wouldn't slip or cause issues that might get someone hurt. Once she's a little older and has better balance in general, then feel free to go back to bareback for learning better balance on horseback

I did find a "Tough-1" denier bareback saddle that is more like a saddle, and I am wondering if anyone has used one. I too do not like the slipping of a regular bareback pad. I want a front and rear support for her, it's really about riding without stirrups that I want. Growing up on big horses, I was too short to use stirrups and I feel it helped me when I first went into english riding, and I spent many hours walking and trotingwithout stirrups in lessons. I have been seeking online for one, and I know it can get much use around here, but even used ones are priced high and until I have my garage sale I am stuck. So I would love advice and personal experiences on ones out there. Even on saddles as it is also a thought. This is for home use only so I do not need anything fancy.

default_smile.png

Skip the bareback pad. They slip and u cant feel the horse worth anything. Those with stirrups are downright dangerous. Go for a nice close contact english saddle or go fully bareback. Practice centered riding techniques for balance. Best wishes..Ps.. cant beat a nice soft used saddle. I sold one for $75 not long ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ps..two year old kids are "head heavy" and they tend to fall like darts..head first to the ground. Hope u have a very nice helmet for your baby. Go slow have fun.

I have been in a saddle since your daughters age. I would say either an actual saddle or bareback, no bareback pad. They are notorious for slipping, sliding and getting caught up in the stirrups. To this day, I only go out saddled up or bareback, never a pad. Balance will come with time, let her feel secure, find her center of gravity and focus on being comfortable. I would say 5-6 is a great time to start independantly bareback riding. Good news is, once a girl in love with horses, always a girl in love with horses
default_smile.png
I am sure many of our husbands can verify this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great advice! I wish I had a good riding big horse around here. It was how I started my first daughter. Someone would ride with her in front being held. We had really hard ground then, and even the best helmet can't erase the accident risks of just not riding prevents.

I think this summer will allow for more time. (as well as extra hands lol) And it will be then that riding gets to happen. There is only enough time now for her and I to clean and feed, and she is still happy to just love on Diamond. She will be 3 late in the summer, there hopefully be a couple of riding horses here so she can start learning to ride. ( I do have a instructor/trainer on site)

It would just be nice to be able to lead her around on a walk so we can go out and about.

And yes a girl who loves horses at an early age always will! If my daughter wasn't so talented in cheer, and if she wasn't more boy crazy than horse crazy, I would be broke! Lol!

I also would not go for any bareback pad.

I would also want a property fitting saddle and teach her to use her feet in her stirrups property. That will also not just help get her feet placed but also give her some extra security. When she is on her sit trot, then she can learn to drop her stirrups a bit, then regain them.

Latest posts

Back