Bad Weather-Should I Worry

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't want my horses soaking wet in the winter period. I don't want them in the driving winter wind either. We saved up for a long time to build a barn for them so they could have a safe shelter and that's what its there for.

Last edited by a moderator:
For this very scenario, I bought blankets with a "wicking" property so that I could put a blanket on a goofy horse that doesn't know better than to stand out in the rain when its cold!
laugh.gif

Truthfully, all but our hard keeper grow such heavy coats that they don't need blanketed even when its been wet. As I check on them at least 2x a day (most days 4 times), I can see if anyone is starting to get chilled and can put a blanket on them then.

Can you stall your horse? I'd probably do that so he/she can get good and dry and stay that way until the wet weather stops. It may not be necessary but it could make you feel better. These little guys can stand some pretty darn cold weather is what I've found though.

Just for the record - today looks like one of the RARE exceptions when I plan to stall and/or cover some of our minis. I think we have enough waterproof sheets/blankets to cover 5 of them. The forecast is for rain (so they will get wet), turning to wet snow (UGH!), then strong winds and turning colder, with likely power outages (can't run the dryer, but will give us a chance to use the new generator!). And of course it is only October and has been super warm up until just a few days ago, so no one is used to this. (Especially ME).

Not sure how this will go over with some of the minis who have never been blanketed. Great example of how you need to really stay flexible, but I am sure everyone will be fine. Everyone CAN get into a stall. Good thing we have plenty of hay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, Targetsmom, I blanketed my little girl just before the rain started. We were doing some construction in the barn and she had no interest in coming inside. She she is blanketed and hanging out in her run in with hay.

This weather is absolutely insane. Although the animals are growing their coats they are not ready for this weather either. We have about a half inch of wet icy slush already.

I plan to put a gate on her run in so I can lock her in when need be. If I stall her she goes nuts and just paces all night. But she will hang out closed into her run in. I dont know what the difference is but it deff maters to her.
default_rolleyes.gif

I try not to blanket mine, it truly does flatten their coats. If the weather has been particulary bad, like a hard driving rain all day long, I will lock them in the barn in stalls with lots of bedding so they can have an opportunity to dry out. I also try not to groom them wet as I do not want to force moisture down into their undercoats. I will knock the big chunks of dried mud, etc. off of them once they are dry. I begin a more serious grooming program once they start to shed in earnest in the spring.

If we kept our horses out of the rain, they'd never go out from October through the 5th of July! The many happy, healthy horses in the northwest attest to the fact that they don't melt in even driving rain. It's only the people that complain...

Yes, Targetsmom, I blanketed my little girl just before the rain started. We were doing some construction in the barn and she had no interest in coming inside. She she is blanketed and hanging out in her run in with hay.

This weather is absolutely insane. Although the animals are growing their coats they are not ready for this weather either. We have about a half inch of wet icy slush already.
I agree totally. The weather has dropped very fast and even though they are already furry they don't have a full winter coat. When it rained this week it was really cold and in the 10 minutes it took me to put them in my hands were frozen so no wonder my girls were shaking. I left them in for the night and by morning they were dry and happy enough to go back outside. Their coats will have doubled by the time the winter comes and I will stable them at night for my convenience as much as theirs. My herd leader is a mini Shetland and is typically VERY stubborn,
rolleyes.gif
I never put head collars on I just open the gate and let them in so if she didn't want to go to bed she wouldn't
new_rofl.gif

And a good thing we just bought a generator. Power has gone off already....several inches of wet snow on ground.. Looks to be a cold, dark and stormy weekend. Horses took to blankets fine anyway.

Gosh I hope we don't loose power. We were out for ten days(YES 10 DAYS) after Hurricane Irene.

I have filled a bunch of buckets but the problem now is freezing temps. I guess its time I find the tank heaters as well. ugh

Latest posts

Back