Bad News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Molly's Run Minis

Reaction score
i have to say this beforehand, i did not do this on purpose and i dont want any bashings! i already feel crappy enough about this!

yesterday i had taken Toby out and tied him up and was snapping pictures of him. my alergies where acting up and i needed to go in the house to get more tissues and the camera needed new batteries anyway. so i left Toby out there, confident that he couldnt get loose. so i blow my nose, get some tissues, drink some water and get some new batteries for the camera and head back outside to find Toby gone. the first thing i think is he probably is in the front eating grass(he was trying to get there earlier) but hes not there. i go around to the side of the house, no Toby. i go in the back of the house and, to my horror, i find Toby breeding Misty!
new_shocked.gif
so i run over there, pull him off and put him back in his fence and go check Misty over. let's just say, he knew what to do to a T. i'm kicking myself, i tied a loose knot but failed to put the end through the loop and apparently he figured it out
no.gif
on july 12th the vet is gonna come take some blood to see if the breeding took, and while she's there we're gonna discuss our options.

Let the critisizing and i told you so's begin!!
sad.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
No flaming here, accidents happen.... lets hope that she didnt take! Now you know to make SURE to cross tie or tie securely, whether it's a mare or stallion. I have had mares that are just as horrible about wanting to breed as a stallion is to get to them, LOL I hope everything works out ok!

No bashing from here. Sometimes things just happen.

There is a shot you can get from your vet, fairly inexpensive up here anyway. Used it on a friends mare last year, she got in with her pappa. I think it is called Lutalaize (sp) Our vet said we could use this up to the 12 day mark. Got rid of the egg and brought her in to cycle again.

Oh psh this is hardly bad news :p

First off, skip the blood draw entirely. Waste of money
default_smile.png
Schedule a vet visit in 2-3 weeks to give her a shot of prostoglandin, either Lutalyse or Estramate. One shot and there is nothing to worry about.
default_smile.png
$10 mistake.

No bashing from here. Sometimes things just happen.

There is a shot you can get from your vet, fairly inexpensive up here anyway. Used it on a friends mare last year, she got in with her pappa. I think it is called Lutalaize (sp) Our vet said we could use this up to the 12 day mark. Got rid of the egg and brought her in to cycle again.

i asked about that, but my vet told me that the shot can give some mares colic, and i really dont wanna risk her getting colic
unsure.gif

I would be surprised if anyone owning a stallion and one or more mares has not had something like this happen. Anyway as someone else said there is a shot you can give your mare that will prevent a possible pregnany, very cheap, very easy to give andd I would recommend it in this case.

(I had a stallion jump a fence and get in with a group of mares, 3 were in heat. All three got these shots...no babies thank goodness!!)

p.s. no colic symptoms, sometimes will make them sweat and be uncomfortable but only for a short while.

Things happen. I was afraid you were going to say you coudnt find him,or worse he got hurt! Things happen, you know because I n e v e r make a mistake
default_laugh.png

The only way I dont make mistakes is if I dont get out of bed! forever!

Dont be so hard on yourself. It happened and take it formthier!

I would be surprised if anyone owning a stallion and one or more mares has not had something like this happen. Anyway as someone else said there is a shot you can give your mare that will prevent a possible pregnany, very cheap, very easy to give andd I would recommend it in this case.

(I had a stallion jump a fence and get in with a group of mares, 3 were in heat. All three got these shots...no babies thank goodness!!)

p.s. no colic symptoms, sometimes will make them sweat and be uncomfortable but only for a short while.

i know this may be a really stupid decition, but my mom and i dont believe in abortion and if the vet say she can physically handle it and wont be hurt by the foaling we're going to let her have it. (please no bashing, this was a really difficult thing to decide
sad.gif
)

i know this may be a really stupid decition, but my mom and i dont believe in abortion and if the vet say she can physically handle it and wont be hurt by the foaling we're going to let her have it. (please no bashing, this was a really difficult thing to decide
sad.gif
)
HOW old is this mare...a yearling isn't she? There is no way she will NOT be adversely affected by a pregnancy this early in her life. One shouldn't need a VET to figure that out...common sense should dictate that...and human morals on humans is fine and dandy, but this is an animal, and mistake or not...it IS your responsibility to stand up to the plate, and look after HER best interests, no matter what. Even were she a two year old, my stand on this matter would remain the same.

This is not bashing...this is standing up for the FILLY...that BABY that you are responsible for, and in my eyes...have already FAILED the very first test on this long hard road of becoming a responsible breeder. That, what you are doing...in my eyes, is putting a bag over your head...singing "Llalalalala", and passing the buck. Well honey...the buck STOPS HERE.

Give the filly the Lutalyse shot along with about 5cc of anti-histamine. The anti-hitamine shot will help fight the colic like symptoms.

HOW old is this mare...a yearling isn't she? There is no way she will NOT be adversely affected by a pregnancy this early in her life. One shouldn't need a VET to figure that out...common sense should dictate that...and human morals on humans is fine and dandy, but this is an animal, and mistake or not...it IS your responsibility to stand up to the plate, and look after HER best interests, no matter what. Even were she a two year old, my stand on this matter would remain the same.

This is not bashing...this is standing up for the FILLY...that BABY that you are responsible for, and in my eyes...have already FAILED the very first test on this long hard road of becoming a responsible breeder. That, what you are doing...in my eyes, is putting a bag over your head...singing "Llalalalala", and passing the buck. Well honey...the buck STOPS HERE.

she is 2, if she is pregnant she will be 3 when she has it, and i dont even know if she's pregnant yet. i've gone on websites and have seen people that breed 2 yr olds all the time, both big horse AND mini and those were bred on purpose. this was an accident. and what the heck does "passing on the buck" mean?

I could not agree more with Nathan. It happens to everyone heck I have lived in this house and owned stallions for years and late fall had a stallion get under a fence and go have his way with one of my mares. I think anyone who owns stallions and mares will have this happen to them one way or another at one point. Please do not beat yourself up it is a fixable and easily fixable at that problem.

We have used that shot and I will say the horse might get a bit uncomfortable and sweat and the more dramatic ones might try to go down when you walk them but all of that goes away in about an hour and then the whole issue is done and over with.

Frankly I think this is truly the safest way to solve the problem for your mare. Foaling out at any age is truly a life or death situation- when it goes good it is great when it goes bad it is tragic. No one knows which way the dice will roll.

sad.gif
)
An abortion? You are not talking human here which I could totally understand.

While this may have been an "accident", it is obvious that they are not going to do anything about it. So rather than waste your time here with yet another thread that winds up getting locked/deleted I wouldn't waste my time posting as it will fall upon a deaf ear as you all know as well as I do that this is what was wanted all along anyway by previous posts.

Molly...Just have to wonder why after you make an announcement to leave the Forum why you feel you have to come back and post something like this when you know what the outcome will be. While I feel bad at some of the posts that have been directed at you I now feel like you are making you own bed to lay in.
default_no.gif

So what you are saying is that IF she is pregnant because of this "accident" that because of your family morals you will NOT be willing to abort the pregnancy?

So the reason that you are unwilling to give the lutalyse shot in a couple of weeks - is only because of the POSSIBLITY that she MAY colic? As opposed to threatening her life with trying to deliver a foal at her young age?

Quite frankly, if your vet is unwilling to give the shot for fear of colic (this sounds a bit suspicious to me), I would also suspect that he/she is likely to be unable or unwilling to ultrasound your LITTLE mare and confirm pregnancy and that you will end up needing to wait on a bloodtest - which would definately put her in the timeframe of needing to "abort" her and would definately not happen due to your moral beliefs, so therefor, it sounds like you are perfectly willing to accept the possibility of endangering her life with trying to give birth well before she is truly ready to do so.

Hope you are ready - my prayer is that the poor little mare did NOT take due to an "accident"

I bought a mare that was 3 when she foaled (she was in foal when I bought her). I was checking her every 45 min to an hour. She foaled just before I got out there to check her and the foal was fine. He had rolled a bit down the hill but he was fine. And as for mistakes. I am waiting on 3 of them. If the stud didn't go through the fence it is my naughty BTU mare.

Molly,

I try not to jump in on these things, but had to weigh in with my two cents....

First, people are NOT bashing you for the accidental breeding, please understand that. Accidents DO happen and as everyone said, everyone makes mistakes. This happened to me my first time around owning minis when I was in my early 20's. I didn't realize my mare had been bred until it was too late to do anything. Luckily she was a 36" mare who didn't run into any problems. But it could have so easily gone the other way.

BUT - I also personally do not believe in abortion. However, to me, this shot is like the "morning after pill." Personally, I do not have a problem with that. You don't even KNOW if your filly will catch, it's truly not an "abortion" but more like a birth control.

Please, please, please reconsider this! Just on this forum this foaling season there seems to have been a high level of tragedy from seasoned mares and seasoned breeders. I know you love your horses, and you need to think of your filly. She is so tiny.

You said you see other people doing it all the time. I will go one step further and say that responsible people do NOT do this. And responsible people who want to be seen as adults as you have said before that you do, will step up and do the right thing. This isn't about choices - that filly didn't have a choice and you may be risking her life.

Barbara

Don't all get excited. Firstly, tease her daily to see if she continues to be in heat. If still in heat 3/4 days from now, she is NOT pregnant. After this, you make a decision.

Well MRM accidents happen. So fix it . It is your responsibility to your mare to see that she does not carry a foal at this age. I am sure that you don't want to give your mare the shot because you want her pregnant. All your earlier posts were leading up to this. You said you could handle a stallion. Sorry MRM you showed everyone you can't. You don't leave a stallion tied up beside a mare and leave them alone. What did you think he would do? Yes I am bashing and you deserve it. So many people tried to give you advice. You did not listen to anyone.

Yes sirree...accidents do and can happen to the best of farms. There is the shot for your problem..we've gone that route the sweating and mild cramping is not long lasting and in my eyes worth it especially in your situation...which if l recall correctly YOU wanted to HAVE a FOAL next year anyway. Any vet l use who had the nerve to tell me after checking a mare in foal that he would see no problem that my mare won't be hurt by the foaling would be paid and never used again. Sorry my opinion l'm still reeling from this spring having lost 3 mature mares and 4 foals spending mega bucks to try to save them with the vet out sometimes twice a day and in the end having nothing to show for it but a broken heart. l wish your little filly the best of luck and hope you have the time inbetween mouthing of to defend what you do and start growing up..

l know l'm in big pooie today but my fingers seem to have a mind of there own and my head is screaming forget it you can't tell a deaf teen anything..so l'm saying sorry to all the adults reading for my childlike behavior and hope l can be forgiven
default_sad.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back