Bad News

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Urban Dictionary: troll

One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the

intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. (or to seek attention)

I have a lot more to say. I guess I'll count to 1,000 a couple hundred times before I decide whether to do it

The posts that I was appluading were either deleted or removed by choice. That being said, It takes real grown up choices when dealing with owning and breeding. Ignore what has been told to you and you may have to deal with a much larger decision next May.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't post much on here anymore but I wanted to jump on real quick for this one. No bashing from me, stallion are determined and so are mares so these things can happen. I just had it happen to me for the first time last week at an event, I tied both my colt and my mare to my trailer (opposite sides) walked about 100 feet away to help a friend and... well obviously I was rushed in tying my colt because he either untied himself or it came loose and when I glanced back to look at them, guess what?? I don't know if he was able to actually breed her, probably not, it doesn't look like he got that far but I'm not taking any chances! And you know what else? I don't feel THAT awful about it. I do the best I can to make sure it doesn't happen but, sometimes it does. I never thought it would happen to me because I am usually so careful (ok, some say paranoid LOL) and I wish it didn't happen so my mare didn't need to get the shot but now that it did I know I will NEVER rush while tying my colt again. Thank goodness my mare was nearby and in heat or who knows where he might have gone? He could have ended up on the road. Luckily we have an option to deal with a little oops and we all just keep on truckin'
default_smile.png
You and I are lucky that we know it happened and when so we can fix it
default_yes.gif

My mare is 2 and she WILL be getting the Lutelyse shot. Ultrasounds can miss early pregnancies. I am not taking ANY chances with her. Foaling can, and so often does, have such a tragic outcome. Unless that breeding is planned, thought-through and the mare is as physically ready as possible I just don't think it's worth putting her through it. Yes, they can be a little uncomfortable for an hour or so but there is NONE of the pain and risk involved in foaling. As someone who has had 4 children naturally I can promise you that one or two hours of cramping is nothing. Especially when you add in the risk that is present when minis foal. I just lost a beloved mare and her beautiful little colt during a foaling. I just can't imagine putting my mare in that position before she was ready. I don't think 2 yr olds are ready to carry a foal or 3 yr olds to foal.

*eta - this was an older mare with previous foals, an attended foaling, a tiny tiny little foal, multiple vets involved, a state of the art hospital and a massive vet bill - none of it was enough to save my mare*

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone in this. Please reconsider letting your mare carry this foal, if she is in foal. It is a horrible sickening feeling to lose a mare. Please wait until she is as ready as possible, I will be right there with you, waiting until my little girl is older and then, yes! I am very excited to breed her! Just not yet. I hope this sounds the way it's intended, absolutely no criticism just sharing my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rarely even open threads with titles like this, but MRM's threads are always so entertaining!
laugh.gif
It always seems innocent enough, but somewhere turns into a big soap opera. It's "reality forum" programming better than "Survivor" (which I don't watch either anymore)!

I agree with Vertical Limit and Yankee Minis. She is just looking for attention or causing trouble. There are very few people that I will not try to help. It is in my nature to be generous and educational. However, MRM is one I won't waste my breath (or typing fingers) on anymore. Sorry MRM, let us know when you truly want help or advice. Good luck to you and your mare.

BTW, I don't agree with abortion either, sanctity of human life always comes first, but livestock are a bit of a different story.

This is strictly my opinion, but vet's do not know EVERYTHING and there is no telling just by your vet looking, if this young mare is going to carry a foal safely until it is TOO LATE and you are in a bad emergency situation and possibly losing the life of your filly. Yes it happens, even with aged mares.

If you are prepared to live with the possibility that your filly may have problems, and risk her safety, versus giving a shot for an egg and sperm that have not developed into anything yet, then you are a lot braver than I am.

In my opinion, it's better to get the shot NOW and move past the issue, than to risk her health or even her life based on one persons opinion who can certainly not guarantee ANYTHING AT ALL, and try again later for a foal when she is old enough to handle it.

By saying 'other people do it' doesnt make it right. I know a couple of people personally who have bred two year olds, however they were vet checked PRIOR to breeding to make sure they had plenty of room in there. Some of the three year olds the vet said to wait on another year! It just depends on the mare....

Can you live with getting her the shot now, or possibly losing a foal or your foal and mare later? It is your decision you will have to weigh.

Molly...Just have to wonder why after you make an announcement to leave the Forum why you feel you have to come back and post something like this when you know what the outcome will be.
...and especially after that VERY rude drama queen exit thread that you started that was deleted by Admin - but not before many of us saw it and sighed. Calling people names, insulting them and saying you will never come back because you know better than the rest of us - well, at least it went the same route as most drama queen exit tirades - nowhere.

If your mare who is still a baby herself is in foal by some fluke... and you do NOT terminate that pregnancy... then you are not in any way the responsible breeder that you pretend to be.

Please think of the mare...

she is 2, if she is pregnant she will be 3 when she has it, and i dont even know if she's pregnant yet. i've gone on websites and have seen people that breed 2 yr olds all the time, both big horse AND mini and those were bred on purpose. this was an accident. and what the heck does "passing on the buck" mean?
OK, Molly, LISTEN!!

This is exactly the sort of response that gets peoples backs up and leads them to believe that maybe, just maybe, this was not such an accident after all.

Please, keep listening, do not switch off.

I am not pro-abortion either. This is NOT an abortion, it is a termination, exactly like, but slightly more invasive than, the "morning after" pill.

I have had three mares injected in my time, only one colicked.

Nathan will know the difference, but the first time I had straight forward Lutalyse, the second time I had something (and darn it I cannot remember what it was...) that was tested in cows and not passed for use in equines at that time, but the Vet, with my permission, used it and I got not side effects at all. Care to guess, Nathan, I cannot remember what it was
default_smile.png
>

Anyway, although we obviously use the term "abortion" to describe a mare losing her foal, it is over emotive to describe an injection at three weeks as "an abortion" and the horse is an animal that relies on you, solely, for her well being.

Are you still there? Well done, keep reading.

I have bred two year olds, well grown and very mature, by mistake (three chestnuts in a field, one was only two......) She was OK (past the injection date by the time we realised, my mistake, my responsibility)

I would still never do it intentionally, and I would never advocate anyone doing it, and my advise is still to have the mare injected.

This is not a game.

This is a possible matter of life and death and you are not old enough and you do not have enough experience to deal with the outcomes.

Have the filly injected.

Get some experience.

Start with an experienced, non maiden, mare.

Go form there.

The only way to become experienced is to go ahead and try, but you do not try on your own and you do not try with a baby filly that should be playing in the filed, not being pregnant.

If you have got this far, I commend you wholeheartedly, well done.

Please think this through carefully.

I'm praying for your mare and all of your horses. They are going to need it.

I realize that accidents happen....

I'm sorry however under the circumstances I don't believe that this was so much an accident as it's more so a lack of YOU personally understanding how to handle horses in general. This was EXTREMELY careless of you. Especially, considering the fact that you don't even have any perimeter fencing on your property and you've already lost another horse. Your fortunate that this incident didn't end up with the same results with you having another one that was hit by a car and killed.

I personally don't have any patients for your lack of concern for the horses and there well being. It's clearly evident that your not prepared for the responsibility and you need to SERIOUSLY reconsider your actions/consequences.

What in the world would make you think that your in any position or prepared for your mare to be in foal..... That's just it your NOT so please realize it and don't let you mare pay the consequences. It's awfully ironic that in one breath you can indicate that your parents aren't supportive of you with respect to the horses and then in the next breath your basing your mares health and well being on your parents views. Just tell the TRUTH you really want your to be in foal....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back