Bad diaper rash in one year old grand daughter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cathy_H

Reaction score
One year old granddaughter has bad diaper rash off & on for over two weeks now. We think it might have started when she was put on medication for an ear infection. The antibiotics caused diarrhea for over a week ( now cleard up). Mama has been instructed to keep the diaper off of her when possible.......................... I don't know what my daughter has been using but will be seeing her Saturday. I would appreciate some names of miracle medications if you know of any. (I'm assuming she has already asked her doctor).

A&D ointment is my choice, that and allowing her to be naked as much as possible. To heck with accidents, the air and sunshine are the best healers. Do not use soap to clean her either, just plain warm water. See if she'll eat some bananas and if she still has a bottle put a couple drops of vanilla in it.

If you can find some lanolin, put that on her. It works wonders in no time, I used it on both my children when they were little.....seems like forever ago :no:

My daughter had a rash once that would not go away no matter how long I left her naked ect, I had to take her to the doctor and they gave me some stuff in a tube I want to say it was called Nystatien???? SP?

Cleared it right up. It was a kind of yeast infection she had if I remember right--been 13 years
default_rolleyes.gif
:

For reglar diaper stuff I liked to use something called "Balmex" sp? I got it from Wal Mart.

[SIZE=14pt]Her diaper rash could be yeast from having been on the antibiotics. Nystatin is an anti yeast medication. For thrush in liquid form in the mouth too. Also you can paint her bottom with maalox and blow it with a hair dryer. that coats nicely.[/SIZE]

Lyn

When one of our daughters was little and had bad diaper rash, I tried everything....but the only thing that worked for her was Udder Balm, (or bag balm), NOT the medicted one in the green can though.

If you decide to try it, look for the one in the red/yellow can.

I remember friends laughing when they heard what i was using, but it sure worked great!

Boudreaux (spelling) Butt Paste. Not kidding, it works WONDERS. Made in Louisiana. Its available at our Walmarts in MS in the Pharmacy. It's OTC but you have to ask for it. Great stuff.

Stacye

I am guessing yeast infection also, my daughter had that when she was a baby. I can't remember what we used, some kind of cream from the doctor. Poor baby.

Havr the doctor write a prescription for a diaper rash cream for a YEAST INFECTION. I am betting that is the problem.

My six month old recently had a yeast infection and the doctor told me to get a tube of Lotrimin AF (anti fungal) put that on first and coat over it with Creamy Desitin. Worked wonders for us and it was gone overnight. Good Luck!

ETA: Lotrimin AF is over the counter ask your pharmicist where to find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes here is my little formula that really works very nicely:

Mix a good portion of zinc oxyde with some desitin (optional) and corn starch and it will make a little paste and be so very soothing.

If you have any kind of aloe in any form, add that too., this will really work quickly.

Thanks forum friends. I'll send these suggestions on to my daughter. Been a loooooong time since I've had to deal with diaper rash. My baby is 30 years old!

With both of my kids, I tried all of the stuff that's supposed to help diaper rash, and it never worked for them. I ended up using plain zinc oxide from the pharmacy dept at Wal Mart. It worked better than the other stuff. When my oldest daughter was so bad that her butt looked like scales, we took her to the doctor and they gave her OTC yeast infection medicine.

My cousin swears by this. Take some flour, sprinkle it on a cookie sheet and bake it until brown. Let it cool, then sprinkle it on baby's bottom. I never tried it, but she says it works the very best.

Sounds like a yeast infection to me.......I would have the doctor look at it and prescribe something for it.

Now if it is just diaper rash..........The best thing as mentioned before is Bag Balm

Let me tell you When my daughter had chemo when she was 18 months, she had diarrea so severe, that we had to keep her on blue pads and change them everytime she went.....her little bottom was so severe it almost looked burned....from the harsh chemo drugs.......We tried everything in that children's hospital we could get our hands on.........the best thing and the only thing that worked for her was Bag balm....and we used the kind in the green can.

We could no longer clean her rear with baby wipes, had to use a washcloth and then coated her whole bottom area with Bag balm, and I mean thick. it was the only thing that worked to keep a barrier between her diarrea and her bottom.....

AND lots of AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never in my life seen a rash so bad.....and she healed with no scars at all!!!!! It was a nightmare trying to find something that would work..........and believe me we tried everything!

Once, when my daughter was in the hosptial my daughter had a very bad rash from having the flu. I nurse told me an old wives tell and it did work. Use crisco on her bottom. It really did coat it good and did work.(Only use the white, as the butter flavored will burn. And I've also used Mary Kay's Extra Emollient Night Cream. On the ones that won't go away-- from the yeasties-- antibiotics-- my Dr. to me to use an antifungal cream(it is for Athlete's foot and Jock Itch can't remember the Name brand. Just as long as the active ingredient tolnaftate is 1%. Hope this helps,

Jodie

I would bet my kids (all 6 of them) that your grandbaby has a yeast infection for the runny poo and antibiotics....my kids all got the "yeasties" from antibiotics and after a while I told doctor that I would need something for a yeast infection on the bottom if he said my babies would be on Antibiotics...he looked at charts and said yep...might as well save time and gove a 'scrip now for it"...boys/gilrs...it didn;t matter!!

Oh and for lil ones on antibiotics...watch for a UTI (urinary tract infection) after an anitbiotic course...2 of my gilrs always ended up with them...kill one bug for another...what a viscous cirlce it was!!

Latest posts

Back