bad acting colt

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I have a weanling colt born in May 2007 who is the youngest of 5 foals(2 fillies&3 colts)He and his dam were in a pasture with a filly&her dam.He was always pestering the other dam&his mom &they kept him in line.Now that all are weaned he has become a bully, kicking , pinning his ears back and biting the others at feeding time.He won't come in the barn for his lessons which are 3 times weekly.We have to chase him in.He is a bad influence on the others.He does well in school-leads well-stands for the farrier and likes attention.He is just a bad boy with the others.I have put him in the barn in a stall by himself and he is behaving.At least the others are getting a break and they are much better. I have thought about turning him out in a field with some really bossy mares or a stallion , but don't want him to get hurt.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am hoping for castration in November and maybe that will take care of the problem.I was planning to keep him since he is the only offspring from my very first Mini I had as a 1 day old, but I don't need a problem child.He reminds me so much of a Standardbred foal we had many years ago who was just plain mean.He ended up being put down as an adult because he tried to kill a groom.I certainly don't want a repeat of that situation.

Some horses are just jerks. Every horse has it's own personality.

I would possibly put him in with older horses so that he learns his "place" because the other babies aren't going to stand up to him. Babies need older horses to learn social skills.

I would consider gelding him if he has that sort of personality. It will make him less aggressive towards people and horses. Stallions with a bad attitude are more dangerous than a stallion with a good attitude for sure!

Letting him bully the other babies isn't good, but having him by himself won't teach him social skills, either.

If you have a tolerant yet firm mare or two to turn him out with that would be best?

Andrea

I'd agree with putting him with older horses - mares, for at least a little while. They will read him the riot act. A kind stallion may be good after he starts getting a little older, towards spring. You don't want him to get really beaten up but he needs to learn his place. It's too bad but foals don't often have a chance to grow up in a group, where they would learn better manners from their elders.

He may just be a dominant horse. Stallions need to be dominant in the wild, or they will not be able to breed any mares. Some horses just have really strong instincts to be alpha.

It's good that he is not dominant with people.

I have a mare like this. She dominates and bullies all the other horses, yet is a perfect angel for me to handle. In fact she gets terribly jealous if I handle some other horse, and will even rush up and try and stick her head in the halter, or will force the horse I am leading back while insinuating herself right next to me as though I was leading *her*. What I do is, I go out most days with a brush, and I brush all the horses. I don't allow her to dominate the group while I do this; I make her mind her manners and push her away, or even stamp my foot at her and chase her, if she tries to bully the horse I am brushing. She has learned that *I* am the Queen of the Corral, not her, but there is just no getting around her dominant personality. That is just how she is. As long as she is mindful of her manners while I am around I accept this in her.

I also think putting him in with older horses is a great idea. I have a gelding that I raised and he is very submissive with almost every horse we have UNLESS he is in with his dam, who is a boss mare. When he's in a paddock where his dam is as well, then he's #2 in charge. When he's in a paddock without his dam, he is nearly always the lowest in the pecking order. So, I know, other horses can effect the way a horse acts to other horses and at his age, a good dose of "BEHAVE" may go a long way in his life (plus, that QT with the vet in November!). Another thing, too, is his figuring out he can Be The Boss this young may mean he's pretty smart. So, with the adults to teach him his manners and the gelding, he could be an awesome performance horse (maybe predisposed to learn and want to be occupied). It seems to me, the smart ones are a lot of times the mischief makers :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think putting him in with older horses is a great idea. I have a gelding that I raised and he is very submissive with almost every horse we have UNLESS he is in with his dam, who is a boss mare. When he's in a paddock where his dam is as well, then he's #2 in charge. When he's in a paddock without his dam, he is nearly always the lowest in the pecking order. So, I know, other horses can effect the way a horse acts to other horses and at his age, a good dose of "BEHAVE" may go a long way in his life (plus, that QT with the vet in November!). Another thing, too, is his figuring out he can Be The Boss this young may mean he's pretty smart. So, with the adults to teach him his manners and the gelding, he could be an awesome performance horse (maybe predisposed to learn and want to be occupied). It seems to me, the smart ones are a lot of times the mischief makers :bgrin
He had a good night, but won't eat his grain.It's funny because the grain was the issue when he was with the other foals.He ate hay and pooped so I know he won't starve.I turned him out for a while in a paddock attached tot he back of the barn.It will be interesting to see if I can get him back in by myself.He will DEFINITELY be castrated as will all of my colts from 2007.I really would like to keep him for driving.He moves very well .I just have to figure out which mare he can go with and where to put the 2 of them.

Latest posts

Back