Baby was Hip Locked

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShawneeCreek

Reaction score
Yesterday evening around 6:00pm I saw my little mare on camera running out of her stall. I could see something hanging down behind her. Ran to the barn and sure enough she was having her foal. It was halfway out and stuck at the hips but it was alive. I tried pulling down on the legs and got nothing. Tried reaching in and pulling baby from around the waist, still nothing. I never saw a contraction. Called my neighbor (who works for a horse vet) and my vet. Neighbor came right over and we continued trying to pull this foal out. After about 5-7 minutes the foal came out. I also noticed during this time his tongue fell out of his mouth (probably when he passed). We started working on the foal doing CPR and rubbing him. I held him up and swung him around like Lisa (Ruff-n-Tuff) said she did one time. I thought it might work. Nothing worked. He was gone.

30 minutes later the vet showed up and checked Rachel out and said she will be ok. Rachel is not in a panic over the loss, in fact she never went to see her baby. She just stood in the stall and stared at us working on him. He was a cute little brown and white pinto. What got him was not the hip lock but the umbilical cord was pinched off inside and he couldn't get the oxygen he needed.

Rachel is 31" , 4yrs old, maiden mare and the stallion was 30".

Even though he was only here for a short time I learned from him.

im so so sorry. we lost one almost the same way last year and it was pretty traumatizing. Knowing he was allive when he was born made it so much worse. We couldnt get ours out quick enough either.

Oh I'm so sorry! I wonder did you try turning him upwards as was suggested on a thread earlier? ML posted this hip lock thread, I think if you do a search you could find it for future reference. I know it probably wouldn't have saved him from the sounds of it. Once the cord is pinched, I think it happens that they are compromised pretty quickly.

What it makes me do is marvel at how often it all goes ok and what a true miracle that is. I'm sorry for the loss but glad your mare is not grieving hard. That is really difficult to hear them crying and looking to you for their baby.
default_sad.png

My thoughts are with you,

Liz M.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard when you try to do everything you can to save them, and still lose them. :no:

Sorry for your loss hate those hip locks lived through 2 with the same mare one dead had to be cut out and one live the year before with half the body out. Mare was walking around and foal was swinging back and forth hitting the stall walls walked her outside to the trailer to get to the vets she layed down in the grass and 2 big pushes popped it right out both were fine but tired...and baby had no head damage from her hitting it on the stall wall like she did. That foal now at 4 is having her first foal next month.

That's always the hardest thing to take....knowing they were alive when you started trying to get them out and then they don't make it. It's an awful helpless feeling.

Is it my imagination or are we hearing more about hiplock this year than in the past?

MA

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss. It seems easier for the maidens that have had a rough delivery, to not be interested in the foal, and thus, makes it easier for us to remove it from them.

HIPLOCK... once the shoulders are clear - the foal usually comes easily... if he doesn't - he will be stuck as was described... in hiplock. You need to try to push the foal back a tiny bit... and then, supporting his shoulders, turn him 1/4 turn or 90 degrees.... this should help him ease through at the widest point of the pelvis and be on his way...

Not a vet... just have been there, done that for assorted dystocias... and hoping to help out with some practical advice and experience.

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious baby!

This time of the year is so anticipated and also so dreaded.

Hugs for you and your little mare.

tagalong, thanks for the added info on a hiplocked foal.

I am so sorry. Been there and it is no fun.Poor Baby!

But you are right, as sad as it is, it is important that we learn from each one.

Again, you have my sympathies.

Robin

oh no Jacquie, I know how much you were looking forward to this foal. I am so sorry, you did everything you could and you probably saved the mare. Just be thankful that you were there.

(((((((((Hugs))))))))

Mary

What a terrible thing to have happen. Sometimes we feel so helpless, don't we? Sending healing thoughts your way.

Your heart must be breaking....to come so close, did everything you could. You are truly fortunate the mare is not grieving. We lost a foal last week to a twisted chord.....nothing we could do. Please don't beat yourself up with "what ifs"....it solves nothing. HOWEVER, by sharing the post and Tagalong's input, those of us still on mare stare may have to use this method.

HIPLOCK... once the shoulders are clear - the foal usually comes easily... if he doesn't - he will be stuck as was described... in hiplock. You need to try to push the foal back a tiny bit... and then, supporting his shoulders, turn him 1/4 turn or 90 degrees.... this should help him ease through at the widest point of the pelvis and be on his way...

Not a vet... just have been there, done that for assorted dystocias... and hoping to help out with some practical advice and experience.
THANKS, TAGALONG, FOR SHARING YOUR EXPERIENCE!

If you determine the baby IS stuck in a hiplock situation, it is usually fairly easy to fix - and as the cord may be pinched off - do not wait for the vet to get there... the same goes for a back legs first presentation...

We are all here to help each other - foaling season can be the best of times - and the worst of times.... :new_shocked:

ETA:

Adding an edit here as apparently I was misunderstood...

My comments above were in general terms - not pertaining to Shawnee Creek's case. Every case is different - and everything happens so fast you need to do the best you can do at that moment. Even if the vet had been on hand, SC's foal might not have been saved.

I have foaled out babies where everything went by the book - perfectly delivery - everything! I was there - everything went like clockwork - and yet that baby never took a breath... and simply faded away despite intensive CPR. Which is why foaling can be the worst of times - and the best of times... as I said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back