Award Ribbons.........What do you prefer???????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What type of ribbon/other do you prefer for a class award?

• Strip Ribbons

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rosette

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • .50 Coupon for credit toward bill

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Michael took this photo at a friend's place today.....I still haven't

found our boxes of horse stuff.......

You can see the plaque and the metal placing plates....really does display

compactly.......

SV300538.jpg

I believe in the rosettes. The better ribbons seem to bring in more contestants than strip ribbons. I feel that, for the time and money spent to attend someones show, a strip ribbon is a slap in the face. It's cheap. Granted, the first show someone puts on is more expensive because you have to by more ribbons, but after the first show, you only have to replace the ones you gave out, which is much less of a cost.

With a club I used to belong to, we tried different prizes. Attendence was fairly good. Then at one show, we uped the quality of the ribbons and trophy's and the next show, attendence was way up. Unfortunately, the next show we gave out cheap tack and people didn't come back.

Exhibitors will go where the prizes are the best. It's human nature. Some will keep the ribbons, some will give them back. Personally, I still display the very first 6th. place ribbon I won and am proud of it. True, my walls are really cluttered with walls and walls of ribbons but, I'm proud for each and every one of them and I worked very hard for those ribbons. The memories are priceless, the ribbons are treasures. Plus, the ribbons don't belong to me. They belong to my horses.

I will put in my .02 in here. I put on a Fun day for my Morgan Horse club. We get a local feed store to donate a bag of feed. I go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple of packages of the cellophane treat bags. We fill those with the feed and put a gold sparkly pipe cleaner on the bag to secure it. They are quite a hit and the horses really enjoy it.

The feed we use is called TACO which is Timothy, Alfalfa, Corn and Oats. But any other feed works!

I LOVE WHAT THAT PINTO CLUB DOES

thanks so much for getting the picture for us. I am going to try and look into cost

Our Pinto Club did something similar to the plaques way back in 1996 - and no, I don't have a picture. Everyone was given a plaque with the name of the show on it (it was an Area Championship, with 1 judge) and lots of space below that for the strips. Exhibitors received the metal strips for each class placing. In our case, the strips had sticky backing and could be attached to the plaques, so that the end result looked a bit like a challenge trophy. It happened to be my very first Pinto show and I had no idea when I got the first strip what it was for!!! I was used to ribbons of course. But once I figured it out, I loved it.

I must say I love my ribbons and the rossettes mean the most to me but I keep whatever I win since someone has already said they don't belong to me they belong to my horse. I think those plaques that pinto uses is pretty neat though I have to say
default_smile.png

Voted for strip. As one who has put on numerous shows - much less expensive and allows management to put more $$ into such things as champion awards, or special awards for youth and amateur classes. I typically drop my ribbons in the recycle box on the way out of the arena for them to re-use for future shows anyway.

I voted for the Rosettes but most times we donate them all back. I do like the idea of the .50 off if you return them. I know from helping to run some shows that is the 1st/2nd/3rd that need to be reordered most of the time for the next show.

The other thing that we have started to do with the Rosettes is my mother is turning them into a wall hanging for my daughter. We just run out of room to hang them all up.

I belong to the same Pinto club that wcr does. I really like that they give you a choice. They hand out slips of paper with your placings on them, then you can either put your name on the slip and it goes in for a drawing(usually a free stall but some clubs do other things.......including saddles!), or you can turn it in for your ribbon/metal tag. We still give out rosettes for champions though. I've only been showing for a few years and already I've had to "wall" only the champion ribbons.....just not enought space!
default_biggrin.png
If anyone has any ideas on creative ways to display ribbons........bring it on!

I'm posting a shot of our "placque"system(definately takes up less space) and our champion rosettes(okay...it's my "brag" wall!).

100_1994.jpg

100_1996.jpg

I know that there are places that make quilts out of your ribbons. I prefer Rosettes as well but we mainly display the neck ribbons or champion/reserve ribbons. I know our club in NY did mugs, plaques, etc for year end awards which I thought would be nice for 1st and 2nd place ribbons during the show season. Heck even go to 3rd since those are the most re-ordered ribbons. I like the Pinto "ribbon" idea. We save our ribbons from showing but we just box them up for memorbilla (sp?). It's just nice to sit down and go through them years from now and remember when you got the ribbon you did.

some of the NY show's i've attended they give out the first and second place ribbons and give you a little coupon for whatever place you won. At the end of the show you have the opportunity to exchange that coupon for either a ribbon for that place or so much off of your bill (assign so much cent off for each place). I love ribbons..but i think it would be GREAT for the clubs to offer it in a similar way that way competitors have a choice of a little off their bill or a ribbon and it benefits the club by not having to give out as many ribbons!

With the price of entry fees, I would expect a rosette. Also, I am new enough to showing that it is loads of fun to get that rosette.

I will have to add... I have 3 children who show and at the end of each show season,

they decide which shows they want to go to next year based on the style/type ribbons they

received. So style definetly matters!!! Skimp on the ribbons and we don't go back.

The ribbons are very important to the kids. (and some adults..
default_biggrin.png
)

I've shown off and on since I was around 12(many years ago), but not a lot. I'm still stingy with my awards and love all of them. When Cole was being shown he won some cool baskets, bowls and at the New York shows he brought home 2 bottles of wine.
default_smile.png
Don't have those anymore.
default_wink.png

I think at one show they gave out coupons to be used at the tack shops. That was nice too.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Come to DELMARVA SPRING CLASSIC SHOW on June 7&8, 2008 and you can have your choice of a rosette or a coupon worth $.25 -$1.50 depending on the placing you get.Several years ago we made laminated money in class placing colors for winners places 1-6.In the ring you are given the money and you may later exchange it for a rosette or spend it at the vendor, food booth or photographer.The exhibitors love it and so do the vendors etc.Our rosettes cost about $1.35 each so it helps the club also.At the end of the show I collect the play money from the vendors and write them a check.We still give rosettes to Champions,reserves and Grands and Ch of Champions.We also give nice trophies to all youth first place and the big winners.It costs a bit, but I shop all year for bargains and we have lots of trophies given to us that we recycle.I have had a TROPHY CHOP SHOP in my house many years.Our exhibitors love what they get at the DELMARVA SPRING CLASSIC.

Latest posts

Back