Attention Dish Network people!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMS Miniatures

Reaction score
My new house can barley get the local channels. We have tried, and tried new ways to getting it fixed but in the process I competely lost 2 local channels. They have not come back. I was thinking about getting a dish, but the problem is I really don't want to get the basic package of 60 channels, because looking at them only 5 channels I would actually watch, and of course I would want the local channels package. Is there any way of getting the local channels package + picking a few channels I want added, or do I have to choose the basic package also? This is for Dish Network btw, Direct Tv doesn't look like something I want. I hope I don't confuse anyone lol.

We switched over back around christmas from direct tv to dishnetwork.

We got the local channels plus the one the basic and the package above it. But we added the WB channel and 2 starz channels and G.A.C.

Dishnetwork is wonderful, we love it here.

Dish network has a family package that has only family friendly channels, and is around $20.00/month. You can read about it on their website. If you then added your locals it would still be a pretty reasonable deal I think.

I think we pay around $5.00 extra for the local channels, only thing is, they choose what's considered local.

We've had no problem with Dish, we have all the movie channels with 3 boxes, can you believe their is still nothing worth watching sometimes?!!

i hate dish network. we have had nothing but trouble ever since we put it in. Paid extra for dvrs that dont work. have already gone thru 2 receivers that didnt work etc. I cant get rid of them until oct when the contract is up but for sure will switch then. their customer service is terrible

Jamie, I don't know if this is an option for you, but our phone company (out of Seneca) is offering high speed internet, "cable" tv, and long distance service in one package. The TV comes with local channels and quite a bit more. The only "hold-up" that I've had with signing up (besides for the $99 installation fee
default_unsure.png
: ) is that they don't carry the Turner channels like TNT, TBS, and Cartoon Network.

I'm not sure where you're living (I think I remember that you got your own place, right?), but it might be something to ask around about.

We love dishnetwork. We had Direct TV and hated it plus we didn't get the horse channel(RFD). Never have a problem with Dish and I like it better than cable . When cable goes out from a bad storm you have to wait for them to come out and fix it. When Dish goes out it's back on as soon as the storm settles.

We love dishnetwork. We had Direct TV and hated it plus we didn't get the horse channel(RFD). Never have a problem with Dish and I like it better than cable . When cable goes out from a bad storm you have to wait for them to come out and fix it. When Dish goes out it's back on as soon as the storm settles.
I have Direct TV, love it and do get RFD. Maybe it depends on what package you have. But no matter what you have there really isn't much to watch
default_sad.png

I have had Dish since '98, but have recently been considering switching to Direct. Dish's service has gotten progressively worse, the remotes seem to quit working well after a relatively short time, the service is more easily lost in bad weather than when I first got it(sometimes it goes off even during the lightest shower, recently)-plus, I recently got a promo from Direct which spells out their packages-and for just a bit more monthly, I can get a package with several choices I'd like, such as the DIY network, that I can't get on Dish unless I opt for the biggest, most expensive 'basic' package. You need to get the latest, most up-to-date info on BOTH of the satellite networks' packages-before deciding. Do be aware that if you get the 'local' channels(out here, there is no question about what they are, as they are the only ones for MILES!)via the satellite, they will 'go out' anytime the satellite goes out, along with everything else! I can get the local channels-about 6-8 of them now, I think-with rabbit ears, because I live in an unrestricted transmission line below the mountain where the transmitters are; the PBS channel was the only one with a generally poor picture, so last year I tried adding the locals to my satellite pkg.(@ $5/mo.), but didn't like having NOTHING to watch when the satellite went down, so dropped that service and went back to my rabbit ears!

Anyone have the new "Horse TV" network? I have seen promos, on RFD-TV, about requesting that your cable/satellite network carry it-I will be asking Direct about it, before I would switch-now THAT is a channel I would definitely want! What really chaps me about ALL of them-cable, satellite-is that they will put ONE desirable channel in the midst of a BUNCH of crappy stuff, then want to charge you a big increase for the bigger 'package'! I WISH we could customize our own packages, but so far, that doesn't seem to be a possibility. It is true, though, that Dish(and, I am sure, Direct)now offer 'family' packages for around $20/mo.-don't think that price would include local channels, but for that, it was only @ $5 more per month.

Good luck!

Margo

Back