Aspiring Miniature horse owner

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DandyGirl1314

Reaction score
I am looking to, in the next year or so, purchase my first miniature horse. I am trying to learn all I can about what I need, training, health issues and suggested diet before I actually bring one home. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to horses and I know basic care and have set aside a wishlist for all the basic items I will need in order to assure a happy healthy life. What I don't know is the best horse feeds (which brand do you prefer?).

My goal is to eventually use my minis for therapy. Is there anyone here who has experience with such a thing. I do realize that training is needed and I'm prepared to spend at least 2+ years for training. I would like to get a weanling so any advice on halter training? I know this may seem crazy but as you can tell I'm just looking for some experienced people to give me good solid advice. Thanks!

If you are looking for a therapy horse, I strongly suggest looking for an older gelding. This would best allow you to assess his personality and see how well he overcomes obstacles that are scary. With a weanling you don't know of they will be intrinsically high energy or shy... Horses do have individual personalities that training can't always overcome.

As to feeds... It will depend on what part of the country you live in and what's available. Pretty much the minis are going to eat the same thing your big horses eat, just smaller quantities.

Andrea

My advice is to know your goals for sure before purchasing. If therapy is your only goal, than disposition and basic soundness and health are all you need to worry about, and there are hundreds and hundreds of FREE horses that would fit this description, so do not let a breeder talk you into something they have for sale. For your purposes, pedigree and registrations won't matter.

BUT, if you have any interest in ever showing or breeding, then you will need something of quality. And my best advice there is to get experienced help from someone with a good eye and someone who is not a breeder and trying to sell you their own horse. Naturally, they will have a bias perspective and you could find yourself getting talked into something that you'll regret later.

As far as show horses are concerned, many people in the industry "pay" for their education. And by that I mean, they often start out buying something that they think is great and later find out that it is not competitive, and often they find something for a lot less money that offers a lot more quality. This was definitely the case for me, so I am passionate about convincing people that you do not have to go through this. Many people may try to convince you to take "baby" steps. Get something middle of the road now and upgrade later. This is not necessary in this market. It truly is a buyer's market, you just have to have (or borrow) a good eye and take your time looking around. The average amateur can afford something really good. But they can just as easily get persuaded by a breeder to buy something that won't cut it. Not saying anyone would deliberately be dishonest, but some are barn blind, bias, or just desperate to sell their stock, so you need someone with you who understand this and can steer you clear of bad ideas.

First of all welcome to the forum! You will get lots of information here, and it won't always agree, but that is what makes a forum interesting! Where are you located? Maybe a forum member lives near you and could be a mentor? You are way ahead of most people who get into minis by having a background in horses and a long range plan!

I disagree a bit with what Disneyhorse said about going for an older gelding. I agree with the gelding part, but not necessarily "older". I also agree that the personality is extremely important for whatever you plan to do, but I think you can get a very good idea by the time a foal is weaned. We have a yearling gelding (NOT for sale) that we have felt from almost the moment he was born that he would be an ideal therapy mini. He is small (will mature below 30"), absolutely adorable (he won the photo contest in here for cutest face), and very mellow. You can't help but look at him and smile. He would also make (and is trained already) a great trail or halter obstacle mini. Just what I think you would want in a therapy mini.

There is some general information on minis on our website (see link in my signature) which includes links to many other places, including the main Lil Beginnings page. Have you checked out all the great info on there? See link at very top of this page for that.

If you go to the information page on our website, the mini I refer to above is pictured - Rusty - but he is NOT for sale, contrary to what it says.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the great advice. @targetsmom thanks, I'll check out your site. I live in northern FL and a mentor would be much appreciated. My one main concern in getting an older horse is the 2+ years I have heard are necessary for training a therapy mini. I did my research and have decided that starting out younger has it's pros and cons. With a large amount of training I believe that anything is possible. Do you guys possibly have a preferred site that specializes in selling minis.

My advice is to know your goals for sure before purchasing. If therapy is your only goal, than disposition and basic soundness and health are all you need to worry about, and there are hundreds and hundreds of FREE horses that would fit this description, so do not let a breeder talk you into something they have for sale. For your purposes, pedigree and registrations won't matter.
As for the general purchase of the actual mini I'm not really sure how to go about that. I know that I do not want a fancy show horse. Although I may be interested in breeding a while down the road, that's not really something I'm planning for at this moment. Having said that Pedigree is not important.

Welcome to the forum!!!
default_saludando.gif

There is a free sale board right here.
default_yes.gif

Link at the top of the page.

Take your time when looking. See if you can visit with and spend a little time with whatever horse you go to see. Young or older, you can see the disposition etc to better choose the one for you
default_smile.png

There's lots of great people here at LB that live in FL and near FL.

Hi

We have done some therapy work with our horses. We knew that a horse was going to work or not usually at an early age--like right after weaning. That is when we start working with our horses. One of the main things to look for is a willingness to be around almost anything. If they are scared of their own shadow, they will not work well. If they are curious and willing to move closer, they are much more adaptable. We use almost strictly geldings, sometimes a layed back mare and never a stallion. Once you get your horse, start early by taking them to pet stores and walking around and showing them everything.

They need to get used to walking on slick floors and floor color changes. When I walk mine onto a slick floor from a rougher surface, I usually just say the word 'careful' and they step easy. The only problem I have had with slick floors is when their hooves are wet either from outside rain or inside spills. Teach him to stand while you wipe his feet as he walks into the building in the rain. ALWAYS watch your floor as you walk through a facility. Wet spots are frequent, but most places will understand you wanting them cleaned before you pass the area. Don't try walking around the spots cause the horse may side step into disaster.

I also want mine to accept decorating. I put all sorts of bows, hats, ribbons and other decorations on them for each holiday. Also, don't forget the strange noises. Make as many noises around him as you can and while you do that, stand by his side and assure him that it is ok. He will learn to trust you so that when something happens during a 'job' you will be able to keep him calm.

He also needs to be able to back out of a tight spot. Some places can be a little close and I hated when I had to skip someone because I knew I could not get him to back out. I also teach him the command "one step" He then moves up slow and easy. Usually used to get closer to someone in bed that just can't reach or see well.

I don't like a tiny horse, but one that is about 30" to 33" This is a good size because they can reach over the side of most beds but aren't so big they crowd a room.

OK, this got a little longer than I had planned, but there are so many things to think about. Good luck. The looks and smiles on the faces of the people you visit are so rewarding.

Oh, and remember the "in one end out the other" rule. If you have a morning visit, do not feed till you get back home. If it is an afternoon visit, feed lightly early in the day and then no more till after visit. If it is an evening visit, skip the evening feeding till after visit. Remember that pasture is feeding also so they need to be stalled. You will need to vary feeding times so they will not think you are skipping them on visit days. Mine are used to being fed in two hour windows so that they know they will not be starved. This will help with most "accidents". I carry a small garbage bag, disinfecting spray and paper towels with me--just in case. Have only use them a few times in 10 years.

And don't allow feeding from anyone but you at "jobs" That is a safety measure to keep them from possibly biting. They learn to wait and not nibble on people. Most people will understand if you just say something like "we don't allow them to eat anywhere but at home and only horse treats there. That way they will not think sweet smelling fingers are treats" Another thing--my work horses almost never get people food. I carry horse treats at home to give them. Another way to not get them used to people food, but that is just my feelings.

OK, will stop now, but you can always ask.

I have thought about adopting but I'm worried about the possible trauma related to abused/neglected horses. I did, however, look at a few adoption places near my area. None of them had mini that would suit my purposes.

Fancy horse, your advice is much appreciated. I'm glad that there is someone on here who has experience in what I'm trying to do.

Oh, and remember the "in one end out the other" rule. If you have a morning visit, do not feed till you get back home. If it is an afternoon visit, feed lightly early in the day and then no more till after visit. If it is an evening visit, skip the evening feeding till after visit. Remember that pasture is feeding also so they need to be stalled. You will need to vary feeding times so they will not think you are skipping them on visit days. Mine are used to being fed in two hour windows so that they know they will not be starved. This will help with most "accidents". I carry a small garbage bag, disinfecting spray and paper towels with me--just in case. Have only use them a few times in 10 years.
The advice about the potty issue is also wonderful! I worried about how to go about addressing this issue. I know that some seeing eye minis are "House trained" and I contacted the place to get more information about that.
How young would you say is to young to start taking them on outings? The pet store idea is a great idea! Although I'm thinking most places would allow a therapy animal access but I don't really know. As I said before this is all really new to me. Fancy horse, I might contact you to get more advice on this subject later, if that's okay with you.

I would start by placing an ad on the forum here stating exactly what you are looking for. Say specifically that it does not have to be show quality, just sound and healthy, and state that you want something inexpensive or free. You should get plenty of replies for horses being sold at $500 or less.

Be weary of adopting a horse from an adoption organization. I am certainly in favor of what they are doing, but adoption is not for everyone. Often times there are many "strings" attached with adoption, so read up on the organization carefully and know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Another thing about adoption agencies..... people hear that and assume that all horses in the adoption pool are rescues. Again, this is not always the case. When one hears that it pulls on their heartstrings and they are more likely to adopt. Some agencies are not rescues at all, but simply a place where people who no longer want their healthy and happy horses can drop them off. Don't get me wrong, there is need for that too, but it is not a rescue. So again, if you go that route, do your research on the organization.

There are other free saleboards you can check. Equine.com, Dreamhorse.com, ect.

http://www.lilbeginnings.com/breeders/

Right there is a link to the Breeders Connect pages here on the forum. If you go there, on the left there are blue links to each state in the US. Click on Florida and you will find links to several breeders/farms. Some breed show horses, others breed more pet quality, but you may be able to find what you are looking for, or at least have some fun "window" shopping.

Since what you are looking for shouldn't be too hard to find, you may not want to buy something farther than what you would comfortably drive yourself. Shipping is really expensive right now, and will add a lot to the investment.

I would start by placing an ad on the forum here stating exactly what you are looking for. Say specifically that it does not have to be show quality, just sound and healthy, and state that you want something inexpensive or free. You should get plenty of replies for horses being sold at $500 or less.

Be weary of adopting a horse from an adoption organization. I am certainly in favor of what they are doing, but adoption is not for everyone. Often times there are many "strings" attached with adoption, so read up on the organization carefully and know exactly what you are getting yourself into. Another thing about adoption agencies..... people hear that and assume that all horses in the adoption pool are rescues. Again, this is not always the case. When one hears that it pulls on their heartstrings and they are more likely to adopt. Some agencies are not rescues at all, but simply a place where people who no longer want their healthy and happy horses can drop them off. Don't get me wrong, there is need for that too, but it is not a rescue. So again, if you go that route, do your research on the organization.

There are other free saleboards you can check. Equine.com, Dreamhorse.com, ect.

http://www.lilbeginnings.com/breeders/

Right there is a link to the Breeders Connect pages here on the forum. If you go there, on the left there are blue links to each state in the US. Click on Florida and you will find links to several breeders/farms. Some breed show horses, others breed more pet quality, but you may be able to find what you are looking for, or at least have some fun "window" shopping.

Since what you are looking for shouldn't be too hard to find, you may not want to buy something farther than what you would comfortably drive yourself. Shipping is really expensive right now, and will add a lot to the investment.
Yeah, I don't plan on adopting. Though I would like to eventually, just not for my therapy minis. I looked at some of the breeders and they are way out of my price range. That is great advice on posting an ad her. I will def. do that when the time comes. I'm still trying to gather as much information and supplies that I need. Plus I would like to relocate to a place that has land enough to get me started. My aunt's house is pretty much my only option at the moment, and she's willing enough.

I advocate getting the young horse. If you go and visit before you buy you can assess their personalities even when fairly young. I have bought the "older" gelding, the 18 mo old stallion, and the 4 month old filly. They all turned out pretty close to what I thought they would. The old guy knows his business and shows and drives easily but he never developed a bond to me. He was solid and trained when I got him and as long as I do things "right" (which since he was my first I didn't always) he will cooperate.

The stallon at 18 mo. was friendly and quiet. He loved attention. At 8 years old he is still very friendly and quiet. We did finally geld him 3 mo. ago.

The filly was out going, curious, and friendly at 4 months. She still is. She and I "work together" the best. She trusts me completely and does anything I ask.

You want one that is curious and not afraid of everything that moves and you want friendly. Go look and you'll "know" the right one.

You can contact me anytime. I would have a nice horse for you very cheap or even free, but we live in Illinois. I agree that you need a younger horse. An older one may not bond with you as much as you would need for what you want to do. If you want to be available most any and all the time, you may consider having two horses that will do the job. the reason for that is cause you never know when one is going to be a little "off" or not feeling good. They will probably still do the job, but having a "spare" never hurts. Just be sure to take them training seperately or they will have a fit when taken seperately to jobs. Also, be careful taking photos at any facility. You need permission to post any photo of anyone online..I have hundreds of photos that were given to me for my own enjoyment, but I cannot post any of them because of privacy laws.

I feel like I am preaching to you but I just happen to think of things and then I ramble. I can quit if you like.

Fancy summer is actually my husband's account here. If you see a post by Dannigirl, that will be me.
default_biggrin.png

Contact me anytime for information, but I don't always get here. My email is [email protected] if you really need an answer that I may be able to give you.

Angie

Don't rule out older horses, just be careful when buying. We have have an older mini that bonded very strongly with us. It depends, I think, on both their personalities and how much they bonded to people in the past. An older horse can make a wonderful, loyal companion. Some have too many bad tricks...but many are great horses with a lot to offer. If you find one that has experience doing the things you will doing...such as going in parades, to shows or other busy places and has done well, such a horse might like to be a therapy horse in his retirement. Then you are doing an extra good deed by giving an older horse a job and helping people.

Also, if you are new to minis, a nice old horse can be a good teacher. I'm thankful for our old guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on starting out with one young one. I don't have nearly enough money to upkeep one but my goal is to expand, eventually. I've been looking up vets here around me. Luckily I have a friend whose mother is a equine vet so...that's a bonus. I'm still in the preparation stages though I am just itching to get started already!!
laugh.gif
When I think about it there is still so much that needs to be done! First off I have to find my mini...then get his pasture built. Get the food, equipment and have a vet that I trust on standby just in case anything goes terribly wrong.

Speaking of building a pasture could I get some advice on fencing, small shelters etc? I'm thinking about asking my Uncle to build me the enclosure (since it will be on his land) and having a general idea might be helpful. Anything cheap but sturdy would be really helpful. If at all possible could you give me the estimated price for an enclosure? I know fencing is quite an important aspect and I want what is the best, but also looks good.

That's all for now!!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back