ASPC/AMHR

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyarab

Reaction score
I am curious to see how many of you think that the ASPC/AMHR horses are an up and coming market? From what I can tell it seems to be the hottest market. The thing that worries me is that if it is becoming a hot market how many people will be breeding mediocre horse and therefore flooding the market with low quality animals.

Kim

ASPC/AMHR horses are where the market is going. In fact, it's already there. Just look at the National Grand and Reserve AMHR horses over the last few years!

With ANY breed, especially, one's that are hot, you will eventually turn out mediocre horses. The ASPC/AMHR horses that I have been seeing are great quality, however, I have come across some for sale that weren't. I believe where we'll see a problem with these horses is when they are crossed onto mediocre miniature horses. However, the individuals that I know that are purposely breeding for double registered shetlands are very strict with their breeding practices and the quality of horses they are crossing and producing.

Are we talking double registered APSC/AMHR or just the breeds apart from each other? If we talk about double registered there is an upswing in this. But I have see some people trying experiments here and then registering these horses double.

Also, I might add, what is the benefit of doing this? There are some obvious - but there is a rule which I think hampers this - AMHR cannot cross over in the same show as APSC.

Fine, one show show AMHR, one show show APSC - right? But here's something I think should be considered, with the prices of shows (I am talking all around prices), gas/diesel, and everything else - could we see a change to this rule? They have separate papers and reg numbers - so I don't see an issue with tracking points.

????

They ARE the hot 'product' right now, actually they have been for some time. I just think allot of the 'miniature horse strictly' people are starting to welcome shetland into there programs.

There are not many AMHA/AMHR/ASPC trouble reg. horses out there at the moment, give it a couple years and i do think there will be just as many triple reg. horses as there are double amhr/aspc's today.

The over division is dominated by ASPC/AMHR horses, the under division is almost there. The amhr national grand champion stallion under was amhr/aspc this year, i also believe the reserve was (michigans rare penny?) i cannot remember off the top of my head who was reserve grand under.

Andrea said a couple months back that the shetland breed is very cosistant in quality, she is so so true. Now yes, there are some 'iffy' horses but i to am amazed at how consistant the quality is in the ponies and amhr/aspc horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just from my observations I would say the ASPC/AMHR have become popular with many people who show. As we can see it is the Shetlands that seem to be winning the

AMHR Miniature horse shows so it is understable that show people would want to go this route. They do, for the most part, seem to have that bit of "hot" to them that handlers like. I also think they do well with the Shetland judges that judge AMHR shows. Only time will tell what they do for the over all market for Miniature Horses. Does seem to be helping the Shetland market. There does seem to be a Miniature Horse for all tastes and does seem to be why so many are into breeding them.
default_yes.gif
Mary

I am curious to see how many of you think that the ASPC/AMHR horses are an up and coming market? From what I can tell it seems to be the hottest market. The thing that worries me is that if it is becoming a hot market how many people will be breeding mediocre horse and therefore flooding the market with low quality animals.

Kim

muffntuff,

I don't think we'll see a change in the cross over rule. Most ASPC/AMHR horses are better suited for the AMHR competition vs. the ASPC competition. And most of the individuals buying these horses are buying them specifically to compete AMHR. We'll be adding an ASPC/AMHR horse to our string this year and we'll be competing at Pinto World, Congress, and Nationals with it.
default_aktion033.gif

All of my "cold" emails (the ones that come from people I don't really know or those that are not responding to an ad) are asking about double registered ASPC/AMHR horses for sale.
default_yes.gif
So I do think that is the "hot" market right now. Another interesting thing is that I get more requests for stallions than mares.

ETA: To answer the second part of your question, I'm sure this double registered market will end up flooded like most of the horse population. Only those that are top show quality are going to hold their value.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought my second one, a stud colt.
default_smile.png
My first, my filly Gaia, will be eligible to be triple-registered when she is five, unless she has a major growth spurt. I will definitely do that. This boy that I just bought I got BECAUSE he will be in the "B" size division. When I started in minis I wanted TINY. And I got TINY with Alladdin. He is just such a little fellow and so darling. I will never sell Alladdin. But I love, love, LOVE to drive, and I want some bigger stuff for that. Especially since I like to do both the breed shows AND Combined Driving Events. Count me in as one who loves the small Shetlands. And I also really like the Shetland/Mini crosses, like my beautiful Esprit and little filly Colors. I really am not interested in showing Shetland though, I want my guys to be under 38".

I do have an AMHR/ASPC herd built now and I have high expetations for seeing the resulting foals in a year or two, but we shall see what happens... but that being said I'm not getting rid of my AMHA/AMHR or AMHR herd either....I like a good horse period. Whether it's 30" or 38", and for a good horse I think the market will hold true, for the amazing horses people will pay top dollar.

Latest posts

Back