ASPC/AMHR stallion to breed to AMHR mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendyluvsminis

Reaction score
Would it make any sense to get an AMHR/ASPC stallion to breed to my AMHR only mares? I want to refine the mares and get babies with with more action. Have people been doing this or just breeding ASPC stallions to ASPC mares? My mares are B sized and several drive. I have sold all my A mares, and want to focus on the B mares. I'm thinking that adding an ASPC/AMHR stallion might be the way to go. I probably will not do this for a couple years, need to learn about bloodlines and such.

It's pretty common to use an ASPC/AMHR stallion on AMHR mares. Several big name farms do so routinely.

I think it's a good idea,, if that's the way you want to go. Definitely nothing WRONG with it, we did the same thing a few years ago! Then decided the colt we bought didn't mesh with our girls (we bought a weanling) and sold him. Never did get another pony, stayed with the boys we already had.

Papers don't make the horse. If the double registered stallion you find is nicer than anything else you find AMHR only, then absolutely. But if there is a nicer AMHR only or AMHA/AMHR stallion, then go with that. Since your mates are AMHR only, it gives you a lot of options.

Bottom line is quality, not papers, as in your case they won't make any difference at all.

Breeding to a AMHR only National Grand winner may be better than breeding to an ASPC/AMHR that hasn't been shown for instance.

If you like the stallion, have researched his pedigree, as far as size and think he will complement your mares I think it is a great idea. And visa versa. I have begun breeding ASPC/AMHR mares to a Straight Registered AMHR stallion. I think that some of the Shetland charateristics can help my front ends and some my miniatures can improve on the rear end.

I think that it is the wave of the future, and you only have to register them with one registry. Also the odds of them going over 38 inches is less(maybe) Anything we can do legally to improve the miniature horse is great.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is done pretty often, although I really do not consider myself a big name farm, we did breed our AMHR mare to our AMHR/ASPC herd sire. It was a nice cross and I know that I will be happy with the outcome.

Latest posts

Back