Asking for your experiences (not opinions) with keeping a single horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say that it totally depends on the animal. In my experience the older horses that have "been there and done that" are more at ease with being alone. I bought a 12 yr old QH that had been alone most of her life and when put in a boarding stable she was best off put in a pen by herself. When turned out with others it took a long time for her to adjust and she was hurt several times ( not only by others but from her own silly actions). I eventually brought her to my home and had her by herself and she fine with that. When I brought home a mini gelding ( age 15), that had been in group settings all his life he and her pretty much left each other alone.

I then sold the QH and the older gelding was OK with being alone. Now however, he's adapted to being with other minis and if they leave for a show without him.....well, let's just say you can clip him and wash and do just about anything to him if he thinks he's going to "get to go with the others".

The worst horse I've seen is a young yearling who goes crazy if you move the horse in the next stall for grooming, let alone leave him at home when leaving for a show with others.

Our first - mini- was by herself for a few months before we purchased another. Yes, she was lonely, but also was very focused on US.

Then we got our driving gelding. He was our fourth mini and he could give or take equine company. During the last two or three years of his 29 years of life we gave him the option to leave his group and just wander our property on his own....He always would be right at the gate every morning and trot out....very happy to be away from the herd. His meandering included our back yard and he would often trot up our porch steps and ask to peek into our kitchen, just to visit. We never treated him for it. (I miss his visits.)

Like Disneyhorse said....it depends on the horse, but will say after owning well over 100, the majority prefer a herd environment.

Mingus was an only horse when we first got him; he was very bonded with us and very happy. Then we got Thelonius and we learned what true horse happiness was.

I almost didn't post this, as my "experience" does involve an "opinion". Unless YOU think you're doing something wrong, why would you worry about anyone's response?

I have with both big and small horses at one time or another, and they did wonderfully and actually seemed to bond better with me! They didnt exhibit any stress about it at all and didnt seem to care.

Back