Argh!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesi

Reaction score
Alright, I have a coming 4 year old mini who was just recently gelded.

When he was born I did the imprinting, taught him to lead, and even taught him to give kisses.

Then he started acting studly. He nips, rears on the lead, etc. He doesn't do anything in an aggressive way, but that doesn't make it any better. When I tie him to groom him he's constantly fidgeting and trying to face me and eat the brush or chew on me. When the farrier comes he gets even worse, and it takes two of us plus the farrier to contain him. Note, he used to be okay with his feet.

Now, first of all, I know this is MY fault, not his. I got too busy with school, and then we moved and didn't live at the same place as the horses, and didn't work with him enough and now he's rotten to the core.

"there's no problem horses, only problem riders" yadda yadda
default_wink.png

My question is have any of you ever had these problems, and do you have any suggestions on what to do?

I've considered selling him, or even giving him away to a good home, but I really would rather fix it myself and not avoid the problem, cause I know this won't be the last time I have problems with a horse if I do that.

If he's loose in the stall I can brush him. He moves around a bit, but it's still a LOT better than when he's tied.

I need to start with ground work, but how should I go about doing that? For me, working with minis is so much different than the big ones. Should I try to get a round pen? As for longeing, I have alot of trouble with that and I don't know why..

What I need to do is have someone who knows more about this help me. Buuut, I don't know anybody near here that works with minis that would want to come help, and I don't have any money to pay a trainer- that's expensive, isn't it?

Plus what I need is for someone to train ME, not him. So for now I'll say that's out of the question.

So what would you suggest I start with?

Please && Thank You!!!

*He does still give kisses, so that's something!*
default_rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...imprinting...not such a good idea after all maybe??
default_biggrin.png
default_wacko.png

OK, he's young, he's gelded (well done) just stay calm, tie him up safely and have a sharp knife in your pocket and just let him have a hissy fit.

Make sure you have a good deep bed in the stall you tie him in.

Make sure you are calm and ready for anything he might throw at you.

Groom him.

He can't turn round, he's tied up (quite short, BTW)

Just ignore it all, let him tantrum.

Tell him what a good boy he is.

Don't do legs as this would let him start kicking.

Don't do the head as he will throw himself around, just do the bits you can reach without getting bitten and without having to get cross.

If you can do this 100 times a day, do so (I realise this is not practical!!)

Get into a routine with him.

Bring him in.

Tie him up.

"Groom" him (it's not really going to be grooming)

Give him a pat.

Turn him loose.

Repeat as often as you can.

He will very quickly stop, he is, as you have realised, only doing what you have allowed him to do.

So just be calm and definite and keep to the routine.

Outside of this one exercise try to handle him as little as possible.

Once he has completely accepted being tied and groomed all over you can move on to adding something else to your repertoire but whilst he is being an oaf just sort out one thing, and get it completely right.

You'll get there, don't worry.

Worse things have happened to most of us, believe me, and realising your mistake is taking you halfway to solving the problem.

I would try lunging him, let him work out his anxiety. If he still fidgits, lung him some more...then see if that settles him (it's a mind game, but maybe he will get it (run or stand nice). It's got to be done at a safe but consistant pace.

Plus, I like what Jane said, be consistant and get him use to standing while tied. I think having him lunged to release energy is good though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both!

I should say he is FULL of energy- he runs laps when he's outside. He actually started trying to run laps the DAY AFTER he was gelded. And he just goes and goes and goes. Maybe I should have named him the energizer bunny? lol

First of all its very telling that you say they arent like working with big horses
default_smile.png
Because they absolutely should be imo. I think we give them way too much slack and let them misbehave because they are little. This would never be tolerated in a full size horse

Go back to ground zero like hes never been trained and start over.

Yes I would tie him and make him stand tied. But I would not brush him etc or pay any attention to him whatsoever. I only pay attention to them when they behave. If they fuss and move and paw I totally ignore them. I dont even yell at them because ignoring them works better. I never leave them unattended but I always do something else like rake etc while they are tied and I can still see them. ONLY untie when hes being good

I would also start lunging him but first I would make sure all his ground manners are good such as haltering, leading, whoaing etc.

You don't mention his diet at all. Could he have all that excess energy from what he eats? Try cutting all his grain for now. I for one find that oats can make a lot of horses 'hot'. Then if you are convinced he isn't consuming more energy than he can burn off I'd start with standing tied. Leave him tied long enough that he is bored and falling asleep. Standing tied helps horses develop patience IMO and all of mine practice it regularly from the time they are young. Do keep his safety in mind of course. The other thing that is likely to be helpful is lunging, if you haven't got this skill study up on it, read and learn because its a very valuable thing to know both for you and the horse. Lunging not only allows him to burn off some energy but he does it under your control. He can learn to take direction from you and that will help him develop respect. Watch horses when they are together. The horse who can make the other move is the boss. You need to be his boss. In the meantime don't spend anytime just 'hanging out' with him. For now you need to quit being his buddy, he already knows you are 'safe' now he needs to know you are a leader and you should only handle him when you can enforce that image. Hang in there, knowing you created a 'monster' was the first step and gelding him was the second. You are well on your way to having the horse you dreamed he would be.
default_smile.png

I would tie him up on a short lead, so that he can not get into any trouble, then go about doing your chores. As KayKay says, ignore him. He needs to learn patience and how to stand for periods of time (they hate that, one of the tuffest things to teach a driving horse). Slowly extend the time he is tied up. They should be able to stand quietly for as long as you want them to, even if it is for two hours. Some Mini people will tie their horses up all night. (not that I agree with that), but the big draft horses always are.

Release him when he is quiet and is behaving himself.

My younger boy was a brat for awhile. I started handling him much more. Put the halter and rope on for everything, tied him up for all meals with a bucket feeder on the fence. Would put on the halter and lead rope and walk him to the end of the pasture before I let him go, so he didn't think the lead rope was just for working. Did some of those yielding exercises you see on Clinton Andersen and some parelli exercises. He got better and better. Glad I did it. He associates the work with happy things like brushing and eating and now he lunges and line drives. The lunging really takes off the edge. He still needs a bit of work with being tied as he can un-tie himself like Hildago... Now to eat his grain, he must stand tied, getting better and better. I don't give him any hay with alfalfa, just grass and some triple crown lite feed ... My boy had to start on a lead rope with lunging. Kept him close and easy to correct. On a long line he was a rearing bronko. Worked on the short rope and taught him walk and whoa. Some slow trotting, worked the circle bigger and bigger. Got to a lunge line and worked him until he was happy and tired. then did the leading again. My "round pen" is just posts and no climb fence wire. Cheaper than the round pen panels. Works well. Nice footing. He rarely cuts up now and comes to me when he sees me set up for the lunging. He loves the work now, took all summer last year to get him to this point. Takes time but worth being sure you are comfortable at each step before moving on.....Best wishes.
default_rolleyes.gif

Yes I would tie him and make him stand tied. But I would not brush him etc or pay any attention to him whatsoever. I only pay attention to them when they behave. If they fuss and move and paw I totally ignore them. I dont even yell at them because ignoring them works better. I never leave them unattended but I always do something else like rake etc while they are tied and I can still see them. ONLY untie when hes being good
ditto, and this is something you have to continue also, it will not work completely just one time.

Yes I forgot to add that I start with about 20-30 mins for a new horse and build up from there. But they are never untied until they are standing still and being patient. I have one of those rubber training ties and I love that thing. Much better then tying a knot etc.

I tied him for the first time today! I tied him up while I cleaned stalls, and he did surprisingly well! At first he kept moving as far as he could, and rubbing and throwing his head, etc. But after a while of being ignored he settled himself down.. He never did stop and stand perfect, but I HAD to leave so I waited until he was just standing and watching me and then I put him out for the night.

As for his feed, he was eating sweet feed and was recently switched to Platform Mini Feed.

Umm..

So I'll keep doing this, and keep you posted as for how he does and if (ahem, I mean when) I have any new questions LOL
default_smile.png

Thanks all
default_laugh.png

Latest posts

Back