Area 2 Show at Centerville Michigan

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filipowicz Farm

Reaction score
The stalls were not the best and studs could pick on each other. The driving ring was terrible. There was no PA system in the barn to hear the classes being announced, they used a bull horn. The one good thing about the show was seeing many friends and finally meeting several people that we have keeped in touch with by email. Lots of rain storms the first day. If the show is held here the next time regionals comes to Michigan we will not have our horses come. We will go some place else. Going back on Fathers day to see our horse show and many friends show there horses.

I personally wish it was still in Midland that way I could attend. Centerville is to far away for me to drive and I have family in Midland where I can stay and have their help since I show alone. That's hard with 3 minis, so the help is very much needed. But it sounds like more folks attended when its in Centerville so thats the + side of it. So now with it there I can only attend 1 AMHR show (Midland) instead of 2.
default_no.gif

this is who is on my string for Midland...

Little Kings Sentra Supreme - stallion

Zephyr Woods Little Prancer - mare

Silver Maples Zahara Supreme - their foal (foal in photo)

CANT WAIT TO GO!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally wish it was still in Midland that way I could attend. Centerville is to far away for me to drive and I have family in Midland where I can stay and have their help since I show alone. That's hard with 3 minis, so the help is very much needed. But it sounds like more folks attended when its in Centerville so thats the + side of it. So now with it there I can only attend 1 AMHR show (Midland) instead of 2.
default_no.gif
I agree - Midland has the best show grounds I've shown in. Of course it helps that I live 10 miles away! But a great ring, good sound system, and great stalls make this a top show grounds.

It won't be a plus for Centerville if people aren't going to go back. Jeanne may need to try to get Midland back, even if it's NOT an area show next year. It was very well attended by Mini horse owners, and I know of several, including myself, that chose NOT to make a 3 hour trip.

I totally agree with you ruffian! I really like everything about the Midland grounds the best because of the stalls, room to move, big CLEAN ring, large waiting area, sound system, everything. And your right, Freeland is just around the corner from there:)

One year the Regional show is in Michigan next year in Ohio. If it goes back to Ohio next year at Ashland it sure is worth the trip. Big stalls limed before you put your horse in great driving area. Dinner one night no hot dogs a really nice meal. A place on the gounds for food with very reasonible prices. This is my husband Walts favorite show. Wether it be Regionals at Ashland or a area 2 show the place is great. Many people from Canada even come to Ashland its worth the time and trip. Wishing everyone a great show season.

I had heard about this facility which is why we are going to the Area 4 show in Illinois. I love showing at Gordyville! I hate not supporting my own area show but Gordyville is closer plus its a much better facility.

I did hear that the area 2 show will be back in Ashland next year. I so love Ashland!

This is GREAT new Kay!! I love the Ashland grounds (has nothing to do with the fact it is only an hour from my back door...it is just a great grounds) ...i can honestly say it is the best show of the year (if it is the BSC or Area show) and i wish we could have more shows at Ashland
default_yes.gif

I heard the same news that the Area II Regionals will be at Ashland next year. We always go to Ashland, it is a great place to show and Bob Franls and his staff put on a wonderful show and it runs very smoothly. It is our favorite place to show both the ponies and miniatures.
default_smile.png

I liked the facilities actually, barns open and breezy, stall fronts newly made just for us! i had a stud there and we had no problems with him.

Some barns had more enclosed stalls so maybe could request those next year if you have tougher studs?. The show committee really worked hard to make sure everyone knew what class was in and held up classes until exhibitors got used to the bull horn. I hear that will be fixed next year. I think these grounds are much more central for the region and there was a great turn out too. I had a great time and hope they have the show there next year as well, for sure will return.

I'm glad the show will be back in Ashland next year.
default_laugh.png

I've heard from several people about the show at Centreville and no one seemed to happy.
default_no.gif
And plenty have said they will not be back.

I have to agree with Stormy here. The facility itself was lovely. The fairgrounds was easy to get to and very well kept and clean. Showmanagement was very relaxed about getting horses to the ring with no pa system and to my knowledge no one missed a class. They were very good about getting or waiting for horses to get there. I believe that it is the exhibitors responsibility to know where their class is and to be ready and the pa systems are just a plus that we are all used to. While a bit inconvenient it did all work out. The arena was nice sized but a little rough for driving. The judge was aware of that and did take that into account in his classes. The class sizes were good and the quality of horses was great. The weekend started out stormy was did clear up and all was well. It was only a 5 hour drive for me which is not bad and easy to get there. I agree that had I known what the stalls were I would have ordered the different stalls but everyone survived and maybe it was a good thing. They did learn how to act. My under horses were fine in the stalls and my over horses they were a little small and low but everyone stayed in just fine. They could just pick at each other over the stalls. This was a very pretty and lovely location with plenty of places to eat. This was a first time at this located and I am sure that show management will have some things to tweak to make it better. I too love Ashland and Midland and with some tweaking I could love Centreville. I had a great time and will always try and support my Area show no matter where it is held.

Arlene

I too have to agree with Stormy & Arlene ~ We actually went ahead and paid for the larger stalls as we had a mare & foal along for the show and were abit concerned if the smaller size stalls would work ~ The larger stalls were wonderful and the barns themselves were airy * Clean * and FUN ~ I know this was the first time in this location and of course with first times there always seem to be a couple kinks to work out ( PA system ~ although I Loved the one blow horn announcer VERY VERY good job at getting folks to the gate and putting a smile on their face along the way ~ GREAT JOB Honey) and as far as weather situation whata ya gonna do.... The bathrooms were wonderful and showers were extremely toasty ~ I too always enjoy Ashland and Midland, great places to show ~ But overall I will support my area show and always try to make a fun time out of any situation.... And that we did we had a wonderful barn full of great folks and beautiful horses ~ alot of laughs and good times shared..

Janice Silvio

Amore' Miniatures & Shetland Ponies

We had a great time at this show but the driving ring in my opinion needs to be much better. Since it was brought to my attention about supporting area 2 shows which we have. Walt and I have gone to Regionials either in Michigan or Ohio but how many of you support the area 2 shows in Canada? The miniature horse club of Ontario last year had over 100 people at there show and it was just the people from Canada We support clubs and shows in area 2.and hope others will support the shows through out the entire area 2

I think we all want to support our own areas and I do try my hardest. But show money is tight this year so I have to be really selective where I go and where I can get the most for my money. I think when they put together a National Area Show they should try and get the best facility possible or its going to hurt attendance. It costs so much money to show even one horse so I dont think there is anything wrong with wanting a better facility when we are all paying out big dollars to attend. We are showing mostly ponies this year so no way can I take a chance of putting them in small stalls.

I know Walt & Frannie are huge supporters of Area 2 and have put a lot into promoting ponies in Canada and for that I thank them
default_smile.png

Of course everyone will have there own opinion about a site but I was impressed by the clean, bright, cool (even though it was hot outside) airy stalls. Grounds so well maintained, large and small stalls available, and so pretty out there. I am sure a lot of the bugs will be worked out by next year what I heard is Midland is getting too pricey. I am sure someone from the club can address other issues but frankly it is nice to have a show closer to the illinois and indiana facilities....I know each location draws what is close but can't we share a bit??

Was also at Gordyville this weekend, it was HOT in there! Good it was undercover though as had some major big storms. Nice facility too.

There were pluses and minuses. One was the arena...it was so thick that my 30" driving horse had a really tough

time, although they drug it several times trying to make it better. I even pulled from my ammy class due to that.

A plus is that it was nice and big and it was an indoor arena with a big makeup area. And indoor bathrooms right inside.

Show management did their best running around trying to let people know where the classes were, and people in the barns

(our barn, anyway) shared info as they came back from the arena. There were still lots of trips over to the arena to find

out what was going on though.

Poor Jeannie had lost her voice before it was over yesterday and I can't imagine how many miles she put on her poor feet

trying to run around to the barns to let people know what classes were going in. The stalls were not the worst I've ever seen...

way better than the stalls at the Ionia show IMO. For some reason our horses didn't try to eat the brand new wooden stall gates.
default_biggrin.png

The site certainly didn't compare to Midland, but that is a REALLY nice place. And of course Centreville is a 3 hour + drive for us

versus 15 minutes to Midland.
default_wink.png

Shelley

One year the Regional show is in Michigan next year in Ohio. If it goes back to Ohio next year at Ashland it sure is worth the trip. Big stalls limed before you put your horse in great driving area. Dinner one night no hot dogs a really nice meal. A place on the gounds for food with very reasonible prices. This is my husband Walts favorite show. Wether it be Regionals at Ashland or a area 2 show the place is great. Many people from Canada even come to Ashland its worth the time and trip. Wishing everyone a great show season.
Fran I agree that Ashland is worth the trip. The show at Centreville was pleasant except, no PA and the tractor pulls made it impossible to hear when they yelled out the class #'s. I was always having to run up and check where they were. The barns were a little ways from the arena and made for a lot of walking. The arena was awful to drive in and even walking on it you sank in. My pants were covered with dirt my first trip into it. The fairgrounds there was well kept and clean, except the bathrooms could have used some work. I lucked out with my stalls and had no problems with my horses reaching over to others and getting into trouble. However that wasn't the case for everyone. Some people pulled their trailer dividers out and attached them the the top of the stalls to keep the horses from reaching over to the other horses.

Jeannie did a nice job of making sure people got in their classes, but if they had purchased the package the fairboard offered with the PA system she would have had an easier time and less worry.

I know we all want the shows next door, but that is impossible. Would I make the trip back there? Not unless there was some changes in what I mentioned. It was a 6 hour trip for me and yes we broke down on the way home. Trailer brakes locked up and lost a tire, then the started on the motorhome went out at the same time. Horses were oon the trailer for 9 hours. Lucky we carry water all the times.... Remember that no one wants to tow a trailer with horses in it and also that there is no place to get tires late Sunday ....
default_sad.png
default_no.gif

We had a great weekend despite some of the not so nice parts of the facility. I was really concerned when I saw the stalls and we did have one horse get his head caught in the gate cutting himself above his eye but no serious harm done. The barns themselves were lovely, open and airy. The "shavings" provided were not very nice being too dusty - I heard a LOT of coughing going on!

If its true, that there is a PA system available at extra expense, if a show is ever held there again, I would advise that the money be spent - a lot of time is wasted running back and forth to check on what class is in the ring, which is a fair distance away from the stalls, and holding up classes to be sure that no one missed theirs. The show management did a great job of making sure everyone did make their class but it would save a lot of time just having the PA system.

The shower/bathroom was wonderful! I know it got a bit messy by the end of the weekend but there is no one to blame but ourselves for that one! They were bright and clean on the first day and there was no waiting to use the facilities
default_smile.png

The arena footing was the only real major downfall to the place. It was downright scary and dangerous in there!!! I saw several horses in both Liberty and driving that almost went down because of it and I know my own driving horse had major difficulty with the going although I did my best to maneuver around the worst spots. By Stakes classes on Sunday it was getting to the point where you couldn't get around them, the whole thing was a mess although they did work on it.

We have always tried to support our Area show and this year it meant missing one of our club points shows to do so. I was not disappointed though, even with the difficulties of the Centreville facility. Although we are up in Canada we ARE part of Area 2. Next year there is going to be an Area 2 show held here and it sure would be nice to have some support from our Southern neighbours the same way we support the shows in your neighbourhood!

John and I were at the Centreville show this weekend, although there were issues, I think everyone enjoyed the weekend. I'm sure the show committee will keep these issues in mind when considering the spot for our next area 2 national show.

We met new Canadian friends and visited with old friends. What better way to spend a weekend???

P.S. Dominic I hear the circus is looking for a new ringmaster.
default_biggrin.png

No matter what part of Area 2 you are from people from Ohio, Michigan and Canada should support all of the Area 2 shows. Hot dogs are great at the shows but it sure was nice at Ashland to have something else.With the way things are with the loss of jobs I think people expect the best for there money. It is hard to make it today and going shows is a extra expense and the driving ring should be safe for all to show in.

Latest posts

Back