Area 1 Results

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jess P

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Just got back from a long, LONG weekend in Horseheads, NY for Area 1. What a trip!

First, our truck blew a fuse before we were supposed to leave on Thursday so we ended up leaving way late and getting there around 9...

Then I had obstacle Friday. Chantilly did better than last time and it was the same pattern. There were about 17 people in that class and Chantilly still wouldn't walk on this narrow bridge that well so we got participation, but I was proud of her because she did much better.

I talked to Karla (Barnbum) and Kennedy of Friday, what a nice pair! I got to see my first shetlands in person too.

Saturday AM was showmanship and Chantilly forgot how to pivot so I spent some time reteaching her. There were 11 in the class and I got a 5th! Woohoo! So proud!!!!

I took Linda Best's (Fred) gelding, Kisses, into youth halter under geldings so I could qualify for nationals with him and out of a whopping class of 16 I received a 6th with him!! Thanks Linda!

We met a bunch of awesome people there and got to see some wonderful horses.

I brought Chantilly into youth country pleasure but she was just a mess. She broke into a canter 3 times. She does have some dental problems so she is getting some work done. We got participation but I think we deserved it.

And finally this morning was youth halter mares under. Chantilly got participation but I thought she would do better, oh well. She performed great for me so I am proud of her.

So in total we got 3 participations, a 5th, and a 6th! Pretty good for my first Area show and my second R show!

We didn't only bring home ribbons! I have been looking for a gelding for quite some time to show in halter and performance classes. Well, at the show I found one! His name is Mini Mounts Lucky Zeus. He is a 31" grey pinto gelding with a lot of Michigans and Komokos lines. Three of his relatives are HOF. He is AMHA/AMHR and boy can he move! He has such a personality as well!! I am thrilled. He is a yearling so i have a little while to wait for driving but he should be a nice pleasure driver. He clips, bathes, and trailers well, which is a big plus!

I will post pictures from the show and Zeus tomorrow!

Oops, forgot to add that Zeus won his yearling class and was reserve junior champ at the show. He is a bit overweight right now but that can be fixed!

Great job at the show Jessica, glad to hear Chantilly is improving! And whoohoo, CONGRATS on your new boy, you must be so excited! Can't wait to see pictures!

Congratulations on your show results AND your new gelding!! I just got a new driving gelding myself and I love him to death already!
default_yes.gif
: Can't wait for pictures!

Haha,

Zeus is my birthday, Christmas, and next year's birthday present. I appreciate my mom a lot for helping me out with all of this.

I was too shy to introduce myself to Lyn, I regret it.

I am sad I missed Liberty, we were on the road before then!

I was too shy to introduce myself to Lyn, I regret it.
I was to, i seen someone on crutches and knew it looked like her. I even asked her husband (i think) if that was her. I had to wait untill Kay & Fran got there, lol so do not feel bad.

Congrats on the weekend!

I had a pretty good show, lots of very nice horses in the halter classes. I was however VERY disappointed by one well known persons unsportsman like behavior when one of my horses beat their horse in a model class. They made a very RUDE statement about my horse in the holding area that everyone could here. When my horse went in for her open class she was suddenly 3rd out of 3. Hmmm, makes you wonder about the politics :no: I had up to that incident thought pretty highly of this person. My horse is VERY refined, she is NOT knock kneed and no her legs don't look like they come out of the same hole and my horse had the straightest legs in the class. You can't win every time and it isn't right to act the way you did just because you didn't, especially in front of kids. If you didn't like my horse fine but you did not have to publicly cut her up! The judge thought she was the better horse done! This incident was with my last horse to show and it really put a bad end to an other wise good weekend. Everyone else was so nice, incredible horses and stiff competition.

Hope everyone had a safe trip home. Looking foward to Nationals :saludando:

Congratulations Jess on your new gelding and I have a surprise also the shetland is now mine. He did extremely well for a horse that has only been gelded a couple of months and has not been used or off the farm in a few years! You would have loved the liberty he was awesome but his sense of humor really came out. It took a LOT of people to catch him. The stinker would run off turn around and look at us like HA HA just TRY to get me!!! We were the entertainment for the afternoon session.
default_yes.gif
: My only bad part of the show was with the youth roadster class. IT REALLY TICKS ME OFF WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT READY FOR THEIR CLASS ARE CALLED AND CALLED AND THEY HOLD THE GATE 10 MINUTES FOR SAID PERSON!!!!! This was Courtneys first road class and as amateur was first I figured I could warm him up in the first class which was fine but having to wait and wait and wait REALLY tested the horse past the limits of his patience and he backed into and hit the wall. The judge was VERY nice but I think she is VERY inexperienced or [just too nervous] with performance horses. She thought Sting would flip over but I knew he wouldn't [trust me form past experiences I can tell when they will and I NEVER would put ANY child in a cart if I even had a suspicion they would!] Courtney is TOTALLY hooked on roadster and will be driving Becky in it next year. The kids had an awesome time and they had a HUGE water fight. It is so good to see the youth get along so well and have such fun and help each other out. It was great to meet Tracy and see all the people we normally only see at a show. Jess get in touch with me so we can send in entries for your showmanship. Linda
default_yes.gif
:

Ms THE , I'm sorry that happened to you! That is the kind of behavior I can't stand at shows. Your horse is better under that judge, its not a big deal that he came in second
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Okay, here are some pics from the show. Some of the indoor pics are terrible because my mom tried digital zoom and it didn't work in the indoor.

I am with the black mare in these pics.

Showmanship : any tips?

14f20a72.jpg

543d3438.jpg

11c28376.jpg

da415940.jpg

d7031d6c.jpg

Driving: No tips, please. Chantilly shouldn't have been in there.

81d4c08a.jpg

3139805d.jpg

a7cad033.jpg

b8e1a6b6.jpg

Suprisingly there aren't many other horses in these pictures but it was a big class. I was actually cut off really quickly when I was in the ring by another youth so I had to do a quick pull away. Please, everyone. Before you turn into a spot CHECK to see if people are behind you!

Halter

a8bfef5d.jpg

15fecfb8.jpg

fda9c013.jpg
(Ignore the red faced-girl)

c108d8ea.jpg

Okay, I still need to resize my pictures of Zeus but I need to restart first as I have a virus
default_rolleyes.gif
: When I get them resized I am reformatting my computer.

Linda,

That is great about the shetland! I bet you, Kim, and Courtney are thrilled! Liberty must have been a blast! How did Kisses do? Yeah, the Roadster class must have been scary and frusterating for both of you two, I am glad no one was hurt and it wasn't any worst. I am going to call you in about 45 minutes, I just need to feed and kiss everyone goodnight.

Here are some not-so-flattering pictures of Zeus. He is a bit chubbo but he should slim down easily. He likes people more than other horses so my horses were chasing him around trying to meet him but he wanted nothing to do with them. He has some habits he needs to break (pawing, nipping) but I am in love. I am probably going to be showing him at the fair this year.

Any suggestings for a color show halter and his sheets/sleazies?

725e27ad.jpg

fd5b6ed9.jpg

db5f1680.jpg

96fc3579.jpg

7b68b241.jpg

1a6b81a5.jpg

f1b29bfa.jpg

c80d02e9.jpg

So this is my first pinto mini and my first mini with an actual face marking besides random white hairs.
default_wub.png
:

Thanks Karla!

The jacket is from the goodwill, haha, the hat from TJ Maxx, and the skirt from Weathervane.

Those really aren't flattering pics of him at all as I had no one to hold him for me. His neck ties in so nicely and very high up. It is quite amazing to see him with his head up and ears forward watching something in the distance. I do not think he has a mean bone in his body. I played dead in the paddocks to see if he would come and he walked over with wide eyes and pawed at me to make sure I was okay.

I am on cloud nine. Next year I am going to start him jumping, teach him to pivot, and work on some obstacle.

The judge was VERY nice but I think she is VERY inexperienced or [just too nervous] with performance horses.
This brings up a question that I had about the show. Although I don't show R I was looking at the schedule for the show in Horseheads. The listing that I looked at showed only one judge which I thought was strange for an Area 1 show. Is it true that they had only one judge? And, if it was the judge that I saw listed she has been around minis since 1978 and is currently the Chairman of the AMHA LOC; Licensed Officials Committee.

we thought the judge was very good and made suggestions in the halter obstacle classes to make it better. she was very on top of things and was very specific at what she looked for . she was very professional but was also kind to people. i would show under her again in a heartbeat. we showed under her this time because people said was one of the most fair judges there is. thanks connie flying j

Yes Area 1 had only one judge. I work with ALL sizes and disciplines of horses on a daily basis and my impression was she was inexperienced in performance and nervous. I have never shown under her before so thats all I know also she was slow as molasses pinning classes. She is a very nice lady though and very good with the kids. She also did not know one horse was pacing instead of trotting in a class.

[SIZE=14pt]Jessica, I know your new horse very well. He showed with our group last year as a baby. I also know Cindy and Jill very well. I was most of the time sitting in the stall area right behind Zeus and was standing on the handicapped ramp durring Sweet Tarts class. Why were you to shy to talk to me???? I tpld Karla that I wanted to meet you..... Im not the big boogie man some of the youth think I am....come on guys... if you see me talk to me. I cant see well enough to recognize any faces. You all dont need to be afraid of me! :new_shocked: [/SIZE]

Lyn

Hehe, Lyn,

I am not that great on introducing myself. I knew I shouldn't be shy but I am the same way with calling people.

Linda,

We really are playing phone tag
default_rolleyes.gif
: I got your message, I was on the phone and then I tried calling you back but no answer. I will try tomorrow, it is just late right now.

I did like the judge because she was very friendly. I couldn't help but smile when she offered one when I entered my classes. I do feel she didn't really look at everyone's horse in my driving class, thats all I really saw.

Latest posts

Back