Are you holding to your comitment to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No way does personality come before soundness and correct conformation. It IS a factor, I will agree, but I don't see being "sweet" as a reason to make more.

I think it's an excuse to feed one's ego by breeding cute lil babies that someone wants for lil pet to play with and then you typically have people that don't know horses end up with nasty little biting colts that don't understand their manners because they were so "sweet" as babies. Just seems to go hand in hand.

Yes, all foals are cute, and even some adult minis are still cute, but when you're making very low quality horses and selling for low prices to uneducated buyers, you are doing noone favors (nor am "I" I am using "you" as a generic collective term, not singling anyone out).

It's late, I'm tired and it's hot here in Ft. Worth...gonna get some sleep and hit the show tomorrow.

Look out, REO, here I come!

Liz M.

Notice how I said "personality first!!! along with soundness and conformation". You can't do much with a horse that has a great personality but legs don't work. I know of a small local breeder who is currently using a stallion who passes on clubbed feet. I viewed two of his offspring and one was really bad! I understand what you mean about the poor quality but I just think that this is a VERY picky business. But I do understand that the judges like certain things and particular traits are not desirable. I have never shown before, bred before and don't know if I ever will so keep in mind that I am only an outsider looking in. Sometimes it's good to see different perspectives. Good luck at the show
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief... personality first in breeding? Not here. All of mine have GREAT and loving personalities, but a stallion who mainly has a good personality... sounds like he'd make a great gelding to me!!! How does it make sense to hold one quality out to make up for something lacking in another area when there are so many stallions that have all bases well covered. Like a good personality makes up for??? what does it make up for??????

With something as important as a stallion, no, personality doesn't come first here. If they don't have a good personality, they don't stay my horse. But to stay a stallion, they've got to have all the things I value, including personality but I do not hold that out as the first level to evaluating the reasons to keep him whole.

Some people who have a stallion with a good personality seem the think they've got something unique. Sorry... I've owned 30 or so horses including mature stallions. I've known many more minis (and full size horses). Minis, including stallions, are predisposed to have loving, intelligent and fairly docile dispositions. A good personality in a miniature stallion is the norm, not the exception to the rule!!!

PS Lyn -- it was great seeing you last night! Can you believe I chose to wake up before 5am today? Urgh...

Not that I want to get into the discussion but wanted to point out that Lucy said them..as in more than one...I think ya'll missed that...

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Yes, I'm sorry- we have six we'd LIKE to get done, two that WILL get done ASAP. Two that we'd like to do relatively soon, but they are still young'uns.... and two that are older stallions we aren't using on our mares anymore, so might be happier as geldings.

Lucy

It was $1200 for 6 of them.

Our vet charges about $150-$200 when all said and done. I dotn have any to geld right now, did him this spring to the tune of $400 when he was done(darn brat wanted to tear it back open).

That said I am overly geld happy, I dont mind, nor does my vet. Everytime i buy a horse its, "he a gelding canidate?" luckly the last one i bought was already gelded.

OK I don't often post here, but I do lurk a lot. People who geld their boys SHOULD be applauded!!! Along with a pat on the back! Things happen along the years esp with horses! Gelding should be a MUST for boys that just don't meet the standard. Horses get sold, they escape...etc. Like someone mentioned just because you sell an animal with a non-breeding contract doesn't mean that animal won't breed if it's left intact. Accidents do happen..thru the fence breedings, escapes, both mares and stallions can, and do, escape every now and again,. Just because your farm is well fenced doesn't mean that your neighbors down the road isn't. Also there are the occational thefts. What happens if there is a death in the family?

I've seen it happen just this year. A friend of mine was a breeder and she was the only one interested in horses, she died quite suddenly and the family got "stuck" with a herd of over 50 horses. She bred for conformation and good bloodlines, but that doesn't mean that everyone of her offspring was conformationaly correct! Even top horses can sometimes throw an "ugly" baby. What's going to happen to the boys that she hadn't had gelded yet? You think that the family is going to care in the slightest if a buyer of the non perfect stud colt is going to be breeding him with crappy mares.

So geld those boys if you have the $! Better the breed by making sure your "1" doesn't become 20 or more crappy offspring. Not all breeders of horses care like most of you do and sometimes things happen that are out of your control, but 1 thing you can control is by gelding those boys that aren't "perfect",

So yes I APPLAUD YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE GELDING YOUR BOYS!!!! :aktion033:

I think personality should come first!!!! Along with soundness and conformation.

Good grief... personality first in breeding?

No way does personality come before soundness and correct conformation
I haven't posted on this topic till now.. I'm sorry but when looking at a new horse for our program (whether it be mare, stallion, gelding etc) I ALWAYS look at personality first, before I even step back and look at conformation, soundness, pedigree, color.. If that prospective horse has a nasty nasty attitude or a personality that I know will clash with mine or the herd, you can bet I'll pass.. There is NO WAY I'm going to have a horse with a bad attitude/personality on my farm no matter how perfect his/her conformation or pedigree is.. And no I will not have a mare with a bad attitude as a part of my breeding program as we all know the mare is who is responsible for raising the foal and if that mare has a bad personality you can bet that foal is going to pick up on it.. So yes for me, personality DOES come FIRST when considering a horse to bring home to the farm... Flame away

Let me clear this up. And thanks Lucky C for commenting because you kinda summed up what I have been trying to say. If you are looking at a particular horse to see if he is Stallion quality and the first thing you notice is a bad attitude....why would you need to look any farther? If he has perfect conformation and soundness but a terrible desposition that seems like it would make a pretty undesirable herd sire. I have met some pretty amazing stallions and of course their looks were what caught my eye but it was their personality that made me remember them! There is something about a stallion who has it all going for him! And another point I wanted to touch on is that mini's only seem more docile because they are smaller. It is easier to convince them that you are the boss. But aren't they basically just a horse shrunk down? I'm sure there are some people on here that have met some pretty nasty mini stallions
default_yes.gif
:

I'm not going to flame. The reason we have our own horses is we all have different ideas on how to handle them. I think people can look at what a breeder has going on, and draw their own conclusions. However, I truly have yet to own a mini with a bad personality. They may be out there, but having stallions with good dispositions is completely typical of our breed. Now, I have met some stallions (mares and geldings, too) with behavior and manner problems and in those horses I felt it was a reflection of handling, not their actual personality.

And another point I wanted to touch on is that mini's only seem more docile because they are smaller. It is easier to convince them that you are the boss.
Not really. Size has nothing to do with docility--my Minis are every bit as fiesty as my Morgans, and may actually be more determined to be boss than the Morgans are. I'm not saying that they get away with being boss, just that they're more determined to try to be the ones in charge! A Mini's small size does make him easier to manhandle if necessary.
As far as personality--I have never, ever bought any horse based on personality first, and yet I've never had a horse with a bad personality. I have a mare that was unfriendly when I bought her. When I first got her home and I went to trim her feet she tried to kick me when I went to pick up a hind foot, and when I worked on a front one she did her best to bite me. She was hard to catch, made crabby faces when approached, and just generally gave the impression that she hated people. She's a nice mare in every other way and that's why I bought her. Whatever the reason for her attitude toward people, it isn't a truly bad personality. I have no idea if she wasn't handled as a young horse, or if someone handled her wrong--her foals are all sweet tempered and friendly and now that this mare has been here several years she has really come around. This fall she actually likes to be petted; out on pasture I can walk up to her & pet her & put my arms around her neck and hug her, and she actually acts like she enjoys it! Another of our mares was "wild" when we got her--we got her for a song because her former owner had a personality clash with this mare. Her way of doing things just didn't suit this particular mare; here the mare is a pet, nothing at all like the wild, aggressive mare the former owner described to us when we first looked at the mare! These two examples show why I don't rate "personality" high on my list of requirements when horse shopping. Type & conformation first--if the horse doesn't have the look I like, that's the end of it--action & attitude next...and personality just happens. Minis are just naturally very personable little horses.

[.

As far as personality--I have never, ever bought any horse based on personality first, and yet I've never had a horse with a bad personality. I
I agree I have had some that are more personable then others meaning they enjoyed being doted on and played with more then others but I have really never seen a MEAN mini horse one who truly sets out to hurt anyone and everyone in there path.

I have seen those that are shy, scared, indifferent - ill mannered but that for me is not a reason to purchase or not purchase a horse UNLESS i am looking for a horse for a young child in which case yes personality is very high up there on the list. Thankfully Raven is old enough and experienced enough that she sees the not so personable ones as a challenge and tends to gravitate towards them now

And no I will not have a mare with a bad attitude as a part of my breeding program as we all know the mare is who is responsible for raising the foal and if that mare has a bad personality you can bet that foal is going to pick up on it.. So yes for me, personality DOES come FIRST when considering a horse to bring home to the farm... Flame away

Not necessarly true. We had a mare boarded on the farm with a nasty personality. Not mean to humans, but didnt have a good personality. She never once passed that on to her foals. She has some excellent, very people oriented show horses out there. She had her last foal a few years ago and is no longer with us, but that foal wasnt "bad" either.

Just depends on how much you handle the foal.

I think gelding is great and think they should have bigger and better gelding incentives, futurities, etc... to promote it. I zillion years ago, I remember the Arabian breed had about 1 stallion to every 1.5 mares!! Everyone thought it was really something to own an Arab stud...

There are a million Miniature stallions out there... probably too many. I see some places that have more stallions than mares, or stallions they dont use at all, etc... so what is the point?

I do have to admit that I was a bit worried about getting a mare because I have always had so much fun with my geldings in the past! They weren't moody and were a joy to be around. I can already tell that little Melody has her little moods that I am going to have to look for. In the future I am sure I will end up with a gelding. I have to have my second "potato chip"!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

I do have to admit that I was a bit worried about getting a mare because I have always had so much fun with my geldings in the past! They weren't moody and were a joy to be around. I can already tell that little Melody has her little moods that I am going to have to look for. In the future I am sure I will end up with a gelding. I have to have my second "potato chip"!!!!!!!
default_yes.gif
:
Oh, you won't go wrong with a gelding when you decide to have another
default_smile.png
I love my mares, but none of them are as affectionate or as "stable" as my geldings. Actually, not even as predictible as my stallion!

Personally I feel that ultimately the decission to geld or not is up to the person who is footing the bill for the care of the horse and investing their time raising and caring for the horse.

I don't care who does or doesn't geld because it isn't any of my business. I don't disrespect people who geld and i don't disrespect those who don't.

I will admit I have seen some beautiful gelding that I'd love to raise and I've seen some great looking stallions I would love to raise.

I am a stallion type of person. I was raised-raising stallons and I have always loved them. I have also raised geldings and mares; sometimes all three at the same time. My preference has always been for the stallions. I have never raised a mean or hard to handle stallion. I have never raised a gelding that was hard to handle either. Most mares I raised were very sweet with the exception of one mare, she was as highstrung and mean as they come, but I blame that on the fact that I lived in the city and had to board her so I wasn't with her all the time to work out the bad habits she was forming on the farm where I kept her. She's the only horse I ever had that I was happy to see go to a new home. Again, I don't think it was so much her as it was where she was being boarded. Honestly, I had no business even buying her since I lived so far from the farm but sometimes we make choices that just don't work out. As it turned out she became an excellent horse for a teenaged girl who was able to spend more time with her.

I really don't believe most are here to brag about gelding, I think that the topic is more an area of conversation for those who have gelded. Sure some come across as bragging but like someone mentioned earlier, it is difficult to tell through written word. I also agree with the comment about people who brag about their new baby (Look at my post brag-brag-brag LOL), but I also love reading the post about other's new horse and I especially love looking at the pictures. I'm not so sure most of us are actually bragging as much as we know that since the forum is about mini horses and we all (or most) have mini horses that we are mostly sharing excitement about our interest. My father loved to geld and since I have known him my entire life, I can say that he talked about gelding and at times it may have seemed as bragging but he wasn't bragging, it was just another part of his farming and my father loved his farm and would talk to anyone who'd listen about how he farm whether they liked it or not.

At times I read post that make me get a little hot under the collar but that's the way it goes on forums. Personally whether I agree with all post or not, I feel that I do learn from most.

It's funny how it goes when you become a member of a forum, the people who you might most disagree with are also the people you might learn the most from. Liz is one of those people. I have disagreed with her in the past (and may again in the future) yet I also find myself reading closely what she has to say. I also find myself looking at her horses and realizing she should be proud of her horse, they certainly are darn nice looking to me.

Another person who I really respect is Marty, she is the very first person who sent me a PM and welcomed me to the board. She has been nothing but sweet as can be and helpful. And in case some of you have never had a one on one conversation with Marty, she is so down to earth and funny that she really is one of those people who feels like a best friend even though you've never met her face to face.

I think part of learning is debating even if at times it gets frustrating. I like learning about my interest and I don't know that I have learned about anything without a little frustration involved.

There's a lot of really good members here who have a wealth of knowledge to share and wheteher they geld or not doesn't take away the fact that each of them have something to share that we can most likely learn from. It aslo doesn't matter how big or small their farm is or how rich or poor they are, we're all here to share an interest.

I'm going to start treading lightly because I am starting to like and respect too many people here :saludando:

default_yes.gif
:

I am 100% a gelding girl. I'd had ONE mare in my life that I genuinely bonded with, out of the dozens I had worked with. I had a LOT more that I just did not bond with. I always say there is only room for one hormonal temperamental "B" in my family and that is ME. LOL. I was not really expecting much from this mare I bought. I just wanted someone to keep the gelding company and give me something to do while I waited for the gelding to get old enough to drive, this mare was cheap, mature, and her owner desperately wanted me to have her (tried to talk me into buying her for 3 years, wouldn't sell her to anyone but me). I was actually trying to buy my geldings older full brother, also a gelding, but the sellers kept jerking me around and my little guy was LONELY. He needed a pasturemate. So I bought the mare expecting her to be... well.... really "marish".

I gotta tell ya, even when my colt was still a stallion and was screaming to her from his stall and she was in raging heat she was still just as sweet as sugar and as good as gold TO ME. Never moody, never obnoxious... now she would stand outside the barn and squeal and scream and kick the barn wall where she could hear the colt moving, but the second I walked up to her she was just her sweet normal self.

She hasn't made me switch to the dark side, I will always prefer geldings, but boy she sure has wiggled herself into my heart. For the right horse..... gender doesn't mean much.

So just because his ears flop a little to the side or the dip in his face isn't perfect doesn't mean he isn't stallion quality. I think personality should come first!!!!

I think if his ears flop a little to the side or he has a weird dip in his face he surely should not be a stallion !!!

This personality thing:

No, it would not come first with me either at all. It surely would not top conformation and over all appeal. But disposition would have to be in there someplace for me. I'm lucky because my herd sire is a sweet heart to have around. He's stabled in the same barn with all the mares, shares a fenceline with them, and he's a pleasure to have around.

My take on this "nasty stallion" thing is that a lot of people talk about "nasty stallions" when what I think the problem really is .....is that they are ill-mannered horses that have not been trained and have no respect and have gotten into the wrong hands. (They also come in geldings and mares too. )

Put that so called nasty stallion over here for a week and he's going to be re-programmed and mannered nicely in a humane way. And if his ears are flopping to the side and he still has a stupid dip in his face, he's going to be a nicely gelded former stallion. :bgrin

hahahah Marty your post made me laugh at what I said again. :bgrin When I said that I was mainly trying to point out sarcastically, the little things the horse world pics at. However I do understand that in the show and breeding world these little things can be "big" deals. Personality will always come first in my book but thats why I will never become a breeder and will never have huge success in the show ring. I think there is a place for everyone in the mini world and mine will be taking in all the "misfits" I guess. I am up for the task
default_yes.gif
: I am a bit of a "misfit" myself
default_wink.png
: I don't think I started out with a misfit though with Ms. Melody
default_wub.png
:

Latest posts

Back