Are you holding to your comitment to geld?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been an interesting thread to read. :lol: Mostly, peoples reactions to it. To geld or not is a personal decision. After reading the article that Rabbitfizz posted about horse trends and where we're going I'm even more committed to gelding my boys unless they "scream" stallion....even then they may get gelded down the line. There are no perfect horses. I'm new in breeding and I like my stallion(and no, I don't think he's perfect) and I'm still in the process of seeing what type of mare crosses to him best. Everyone seems to put the emphasis on the stallion.....but the mare is half the equation and if you're not breeding to good mares(hopefully that are strong in areas your stallion is weak) you're defeating your purpose of having a quality stallion. I just went totally off track about what I originally had intended to post! :eek: With big horses people wouldn't think of keeping the numbers of stallions intact that we do in minis(myself included as I wouldn't want even one big horse stallion). Geldings are very popular and easier to sell with big horses. I'm hoping we eventually get the same way with minis. I'm hoping that with the increase in popularity with driving, not only at horse shows but now CDE's and just for pleasure, that the demand for nice geldings will increase.

I think the fact for me that is missed most often is bottom line (and this is from a big horse mentality) the best way to protect the financial investement you have in your herd sire is to geld the majority of his colts. to me it has nothing to do with how good they are or are not or if they are stallion quality in fact if they are stallion quality more reason to geld them otherwise.... selling that colt you then in a way lower the value of your own stallion and his get since someone now will have a son to breed and could possibly have a different vision then you for there program, or sell foals cheaper then you ect.

Yes people will still breed his daughters and have one foal a year but once there are few colts of your breeding out there why would someone want to purchase your stallions sons when they can get one cheaper, make there own, have grand get ect...

Seems to me that if you put time marketing, promoting be it in the show ring or elsewhere and other expenses in your stallion that the business side alone would say do what you can to protect that investment.

Geldings are sought after and if more people made them what was available (like the majority of the large horse market) it is what would be bought and in the long run would increase your own farm sales and the value of the few intact colts you opt to sell from your marketable stallion

Maybe I am way off base here that is more then possible but just seems to be a kinda logical way to look at it. ??

Last edited:
I think that is one of many valid points, Lisa. Along the same lines at least in my head, is why some choose not to stand their stallions, when they have mares of their own (probably selected based on how they compliment the stallion, too!) and plan to offer for-sale foals.

I've decided that my yearling colt is going to get gelded in the spring. I've stared at him for hours and he's never really "SCREAMED" stallion to me. Besides the fact that I don't have any mares and in my mind unless he "screamed" stallion there is no reason to keep him as a stud. Gelding is an awesome option for me and him!

Many different ways to look at things and you do make a point. On the other hand, many people have stallions they stand at stud who has produced some outstanding foals and don't geld them because they know that people want one of his sons ungelded and not a grandson of his. The overseas buyers, for one, will want and have a stallion of that top producer shipped over for their breeding program...they aren't looking for a gelding for their program. Another reason a top producer will keep having buyers for their stallions is because what that stallion is producing is what they want...something a son may not be able to do because of other genes in his pedigree. We see many top producing stallions with their sons being sold

for top dollar and knowing how well they produce the breeder will not sell all his sons as a gelding...there is a demand for top quality stallions from stallions who have proved they sire top quality foals. If I had the money, I know I would prefer to use a top quailty producing stallion then use one of his sons. With shipping costs as they are it is too difficult for a person like mysef to send to the top producing stallion of my choice but I just might want to buy a top quailty son of that guy and if they are all gelded I don't have that opportunity. We do need some of those top quality colts from top producing stallions to be kept whole for the future of the breed. I do understand that some will see their stallion as an investment to make money right now, I would venture to say that more colts are in demand from that top producing stallion then geldings from that top producing stallion. Always interesting to read all view points to an issue.

I think the fact for me that is missed most often is bottom line (and this is from a big horse mentality) the best way to protect the financial investement you have in your herd sire is to geld the majority of his colts. to me it has nothing to do with how good they are or are not or if they are stallion quality in fact if they are stallion quality more reason to geld them otherwise.... selling that colt you then in a way lower the value of your own stallion and his get since someone now will have a son to breed and could possibly have a different vision then you for there program, or sell foals cheaper then you ect.

Yes people will still breed his daughters and have one foal a year but once there are few colts of your breeding out there why would someone want to purchase your stallions sons when they can get one cheaper, make there own, have grand get ect...

Seems to me that if you put time marketing, promoting be it in the show ring or elsewhere and other expenses in your stallion that the business side alone would say do what you can to protect that investment.

Geldings are sought after and if more people made them what was available (like the majority of the large horse market) it is what would be bought and in the long run would increase your own farm sales and the value of the few intact colts you opt to sell from your marketable stallion

Maybe I am way off base here that is more then possible but just seems to be a kinda logical way to look at it. ??

Just an observation here as I have never sold an intact stallion with my farm name. There are for some farm names an overabundance of colts/stallions which in turn leads to lower prices. I think any of us who have been around have seen this happen. So if you geld the majority of a stallions sons and only leave a few intact, then those horses will be more in demand (assuming they are at least as good as their sire or better) I do believe that you can oversell your own line.

Just in casual conversation I have heard people many times say "oh i wouldnt buy a colt out of so and so because there are way too many"

So I do think as Lisa pointed out you have to be careful with how many intact colts of your own breeding you sell. Now granted this is more for bigger farms. But lets just take myself for example and use my stallion Black. Im just a small small farm. If I start studding Black out to other mares and then sell alot of intact sons (say over 5 years) of his, what would make a buyer want to come to me to buy? I just set up my own competition especially if they live in my same state.

There are farms who are very picky about who they sell a son to. They want to be sure the horse will be promoted and that the person buying the stallion will make good decisions on mares etc

Im not going to name names but I talked to a breeder at Congress about one of his stallion prospects. He had just as many questions for me as I had for him. he wanted to know what bloodlines my mares were, what my future plans and goals were etc. I respect him for that and in my mind he is a very smart man to be careful where the stallions he breeds go to.

The answer is to focus on whatever suits you. I don't see where anyone has posted that you only have to focus on what they are talking about. Sometimes people should read the comments more carefully.

And since when has any thread stayed on topic? :lol: Sorry, there is just no rule stating that people cannot post what is on their minds. That is what I tried to get across earlier. To be honest in my years of monitoring this Forum I have never seen anything stay on track. Like I said......it's the nature of a Forum......any Forum. And we have choices whether to ignore or comment.
So Carol you saying its ok that my focus with regards to the route this topic travelled is to believe that the LB board has PMS :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

I made no commitment to geld because I don't breed and since I only own 1 mare and 1 gelding there will be no accidents
default_wink.png
:

I believe its up to the ind person to decide. I will say SHAME on you for not being able to aafford to geld as the only reason you have not gelded. :eek: WHy do you own horses if you can't afford their care? If you can't afford $200 how do you pay for everything else?!

Me, I know some of you roll your eyes at me, but I have a savings that has X number, so if anything happens (broken leg, or something) I can pay for it. Next year all my boys are going to be gelded, not my stallions, but all the colts. Hoping that I can have a pretty good show gelding.....

I couldn't have horses without a savings, it honestly scares me not to have backup money......

If you can't afford $200 how do you pay for everything else?!

I think I should go hug my vet right now. I've heard prices for gelding a mini quoted from $200 to $400 (more than I paid for my horse, lol) recently. I paid $120 with a $30 farm call fee. That included everything, including an aftercare check next week and some antibiotics to give him for the next couple of days.

If you can't afford $200 how do you pay for everything else?!

I think I should go hug my vet right now. I've heard prices for gelding a mini quoted from $200 to $400 (more than I paid for my horse, lol) recently. I paid $120 with a $30 farm call fee. That included everything, including an aftercare check next week and some antibiotics to give him for the next couple of days.

Can he come to my place for that cheap....I got the vet bill in for my gelding and it was 220 dollars....Its going up over here

Can he come to my place for that cheap....I got the vet bill in for my gelding and it was 220 dollars....Its going up over here
It's a she, and I can only imagine the farm call cost for her to drive from Michigan to Texas would make it cost prohibitive, lol!

It's a she, and I can only imagine the farm call cost for her to drive from Michigan to Texas would make it cost prohibitive, lol!

DARN IT.......WELL SHE needs to teach the vet over here to be cheaper...

A bit :eek:fftopic: but

People should be able to post what they want, when they want and not have others jumping down their throat. :no: If you are for gelding, good for you. :aktion033: If you want to keep him a stud, go for it! :aktion033: If you really want to control the number of babies being produced then stop breeding 10-20 mares a year.
default_wacko.png
: (not directed at anyone specific, just a random number thrown out there
default_yes.gif
: ) Just because you believe they are "quality" doesn't mean someone else will. And another thing to think about is that not everyone is looking for that top quaility show prospect. I personally pick my "pets" for the qualities that set them apart from all the perfect ones that everyone else will want. So just because his ears flop a little to the side or the dip in his face isn't perfect doesn't mean he isn't stallion quality. I think personality should come first!!!! Along with soundness and conformation.

Getting full control of quaility breeding in the miniature world isn't going to happen anytime soon. Compared to the larger breeds, there isn't a whole lot to do with a mini once you have it. ( I know some may argue but it is really the truth) People who own full sized horses can go to shows for riding, driving, obstacle, jumping, dressage, cross country...there are just so many classes. On top of that they can cutt, pen, barrel race, trail ride and so much more. So it seems that it is easier to enjoy owning a full sized horse without feeling the need to start breeding. You have enough to keep you occupied. Mini owners on the other hand are much more limited in my opinion. They get bored and the main focus becomes breeding. Plus many of you have stated before..."Mini's are like potato chips...you can't stop at just one!" And I could see where breeding could become addictive! What color will they be? How small?

My Mother once told me that horse people are the most opinionated kind you will ever meet. :new_argue: I think she might have been right.

Even having said that, :aktion033: :aktion033: I LOVE THIS FORUM!!! All the opinions create a wealth of knowledge!!! So thanks and keep em coming! Just be nice about it!!! :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't in on the committment - I think I was on sabatical during that time. HOWEVER, we did have a gelding party today at the farm! All of our baby boys and one senior stallion got a "tune up".

I believe its up to the ind person to decide. I will say SHAME on you for not being able to aafford to geld as the only reason you have not gelded. :eek: WHy do you own horses if you can't afford their care? If you can't afford $200 how do you pay for everything else?!

WHOA, let's back up a step here.... gelding isn't CARE, it is an OPTIONAL SURGERY. My horses are extremely well taken care of. Ask ANYONE how have seen us at shows. I really resent the implication my horses are not well cared for because I can't just drop $1200 to geld them RIGHT NOW. Sheesh....

Plus, as soon as it cools off here (it is 90º RIGHT NOW at 6PM) and the flies die off, at least TWO if not more will be gelded.

Our vet in PA used to charge us $85 to geld, and that included pulling any wolf teeth. Plus she came out to the farm. Down here, we take them to the vet.

Lucy

OUCH! I think maybe my vet should talk to your vet - mine only charges like $150 for a normal gelding. I have never seen a $1200 gelding unless they need to do invasive removal.

Not that I want to get into the discussion but wanted to point out that Lucy said them..as in more than one...I think ya'll missed that...

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

Not that I want to get into the discussion but wanted to point out that Lucy said them..as in more than one...I think ya'll missed that...

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

That was what I thought, it was $1200 for several... not $1200 for just one. :bgrin

Latest posts

Back