Are you guys comfortable sharing diet and exercise routines?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracerace

Reaction score
I posted this question last year when we purchased remy, our fat, fat pony, and I recieved little (or no) feedback if I remember. I had the feeling that it was one of those subjects that people felt I could have looked up. But a search brought up little specific to getting a fat pony or mini down in weight.

Is anyone comfortable sharing with me the specifics of a weight loss program. I am asking specifiaclly about a mini and a pony...should I cross post this or is it ok here?

They are on grass hay, 3 times a day...totalling about 2 2.5 flakes a day (although this summer they got waaaay too much pasture - I will NOT make that mistake this year...they were on pasture as much as 24 hours at times, but typically I'd pull them in for the night. But still, they were out 50-75% of the time). I do not feed grain because the pony is SO fat that I can't. Neither are in work so I don't think they need it anyway. This spring the mini will start driving a cart alone, and the pony will be ridden 3-4 days a week by my daughter, less than an hour a day. I will teach him to drive if I can get shafts to fit the tub-o *still blushing*. We used to take the pony on long walks...at least an hour a day. He lost 2 inches at one point, but started gaining again. I used a muzzle on him when it was too hot to be in the barn (cooler in the fields)...I'd find the muzzle(s) in the field later. begger.

So what I am hoping to learn more about is specifically what diet works best at keeping their weight down. Keep in mind I do not show...but I want them healthy. Any advice would be appreciated. I will post pictures if they would be helpful.

OH! We have a weanling mini arriving any time (if this snow would let-up!). She is 8 months old and at this point she appears to be at a very good weight. I don't want to start off bad and over feed her from the get-go.

Thanks again,

Tracy

Last edited by a moderator:
Tracy,

I'm fairly new to minis, bought my first January 2005, but I'd be happy to share what I know. Got a thimble, it'll about fill it up for you.
default_wink.png
:

I keep my minis pretty much dry-lotted for two reasons; 1. they'd get fat if they had the opportunity for 24/7 grazing, and 2. our fencing is set up for the cows, so not mini horse safe. I do move panels around in the summer so they can get some grazing time, but it's pretty limited. [Thus I feed hay year round.]

Here's my mare Misty that I brought home in May 2005. She was obese when I bought her; her previous owner had her on a highly alfalfa diet, which doesn't agree with her, in addition to making her fat.

Here's a picture taken about 1 week before I brought her home:

misty4.jpg

And, here she is after about a month to 6 weeks on Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula (ration balancer, NO grain) and limited grass hay (limited to 2% of her BW):

Misty-june32005-fullside.jpg

I used a weight formula to get a good idea of her weight (she's 37" tall and stockier build); there is a formula for weight calculations in the "best of LB" forum category. And, then used that weight to calculate 2% of her BW for forage amounts and used that as a place to start for her diet. You don't want to diet too fast or you cause other issues (hyperlipemia being one, I'm sure there are others, but this one we hear about with minis). For MIsty, now that she is closer to a healthy weight for her, she gets 1/2# per day of the PN ration balancer and 7# or so of grass hay (a bit more now, because we are in the middle of winter).

Oh, and if you haven't heard it before... Feed based on weight, not a cup of this or a cup of that.

Thank you Chanda! What a wonderful sight to see the changes in Misty (she's lovely, BTW).

I have now officially moved Honey Bear and Remy, so they can't get into the "big" horses hay feeder - as they are on 24/7 hay. I will search the board for that formula to figure their weight - I used a weight tape on Remy and it said he weighed 651 pounds *gasp* (he's 40 inches tall!)...I'm praying that is innacurate, although I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he is pushing 500#. I need to buy a farm scale...I'll try ebay (unless anyone has any good resources for good prices)

This is Remy, BTW (aka "Stud Muffin" ;))

Remmyjune32006.jpg

I don't have a confo shot of Honey Bear, but this gives you some idea. The vet said she isn't obese, but "fat in the belly". She has no fat pads anywhere...hopefully that means it won't take too much time to get her down to a healthy weight. Remy, is obese though.

JocandHB0406.jpg

And thank you for the reminder to reduce slowly!

Weight tapes are not terribly accurate for minis or ponies; weight tapes showed Misty about 40-50# heavier than the formula (I would love to have a livestock scale, but they are so expensive; would love to have one- If you are talking a scale to weigh the feed, that shouldn't be too hard to find, some use baby scales; I use a digital postal scale that I bought on-line).

Both are beautiful. I love the blue eye on Remi (he definitely looks like a little porker).

Since these guys are both a bit portly, they don't really need grain, but do need nutrients, so you might have good luck trying a ration balancer on them. Many companies make them and most are designed to be fed either with alfalfa or grass based hay.

Purina makes Born to Win and Mare & Maintenance; Triple Crown makes a couple (TC 30 is one); Progressive makes three (alfalfa formula, grass formula and a hi-fat formula); I know there are others but these are the only ones I can think of. Nutrena makes a couple lo-carb feeds; Safe Starch and Lite Balance (or is it Life Balance, I'm not sure).

Good luck with the diets.

Weight tapes are not terribly accurate for minis or ponies; weight tapes showed Misty about 40-50# heavier than the formula (I would love to have a livestock scale, but they are so expensive; would love to have one- If you are talking a scale to weigh the feed, that shouldn't be too hard to find, some use baby scales; I use a digital postal scale that I bought on-line).

Both are beautiful. I love the blue eye on Remi (he definitely looks like a little porker).

Since these guys are both a bit portly, they don't really need grain, but do need nutrients, so you might have good luck trying a ration balancer on them. Many companies make them and most are designed to be fed either with alfalfa or grass based hay.

Purina makes Born to Win and Mare & Maintenance; Triple Crown makes a couple (TC 30 is one); Progressive makes three (alfalfa formula, grass formula and a hi-fat formula); I know there are others but these are the only ones I can think of. Nutrena makes a couple lo-carb feeds; Safe Starch and Lite Balance (or is it Life Balance, I'm not sure).

Good luck with the diets.
Thanks so much - I am searching for a local dealer now. Nutrena may be my best bet. Many thanks!

edited: D'oh! TSC carries the Platform! Yay!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think both your are so pretty!! Like Chandab said, I would limit their hay to about 2% of their DESIRED body weight. Exercise is also great, though this time of year the weather sometimes doesn't allow it. I love to free-lunge or lunge my boys. When free lunging I choose the direction they go and once they are good you can choose their speed and gait. Good luck with them! L

I have a very hefty little guy and this yearhe looks better then ever. He has been on about 2 lbs of alfalfa hay a day (my horses eat togther as a herd so hard to really manage that)

At night he gets 3 cups of soaked beet pulp, 1/2 cup of BOSS and Nutrena Lite Balance (3/4 cup)

He gets pasture 2-3 hours a day as well.

We work him 5 times a week(about 20 min a day) 3 times free lunging usually with a buddy, a couple times on a lunge line and over ground poles seems to have worked wonders for him

Thank Lisa! Thats what I was wondering as well...about how much exercise makes a difference.

C'mon SPRING!

Latest posts

Back