Arabians!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Palomino~

Reaction score
I am really intrested in the arbian breed ( They are my second favorite breed, Minis allways will come first for me:) and I was wondering if anyone here owns one, could you tell me about the breed, and if I were to stall them in a barn at night, How big would there little stall have to be? The only thing I Dont like about arabians is, there is no palomino in the breed:( oh well, I will just have to have those in my minis:)

Please share pictures too!

Thanks!

-Gage-

I don't have any photos scanned in, but I owned a Grey Arabian mare for 13 years of her life. She was 3 when I got her, and 16 when I sold her.

I really loved her personality even though it was kinda witchy at times, I totally "got" her and she "got" me.

I don't really recommend getting a young, green broke horse of any breed for a beginning rider, either, but it worked out ok for she and I.

I think they are pretty honest horses, though they do tend to be flighty and silly sometimes, it depends on the individual. There are many different personality types within the breed, though I guess they all tend to be sensitive.

If handled correctly, they bond very tightly with you, though, and my girl and I had a very intuitive relationship.

There are palomino in appearance Arabians. Fire An Ice is one that comes to mind. I believe he is genetically a chestnut, but looks a lot like a palomino.

Not sure about stall size, but when we did, we kept ours in a 12X20 stall at night. Most of the time she came and went as she pleased, spending very little time in her stall.

They are my favorite breed, by far. I would have another if I had the room and the time to ride again. I will drive mine this time, though!!!

Liz M.

I don't have any now but if you click on my photo link you will see a 7 month old Arabian filly Purebred that I had in the kitchen. No halter on no rope just loose, and those 4 pics were printed in a national Arabian magazine
biggrin.gif

We own a 4 year old Arab filly....very highly bred on both sides from we've been told, although we don't know much about that breed's bloodlines.

She's not terribley big, maybe 14 hands. All I know is she is very loving and trusting. She kind of reminds me of a horsey version of our young golden retriever.
laugh.gif

In other words, if you don't want her in your lap or your pocket, she has a difficult time accepting it -- since the world has been created just for her to be loved on!

MA

Hi there!

I have several, (6) and although I'm not an "expert" on the breed, I can help some! Too bad you are not closer, I have a 15 year old grey gelding that needs a home. A young friend of recieved him, and brought him here for short time board. Then she quit her job,and decided she couldn't afford him....so I came into the barn with a Dear Keri letter posted, along with his papers, to the tack room bullitin board. I could auction him, but just can't do that...to many unknowns out there, and he really is a nice boy. Anyway, that said, there are indeed Palomino "colored" arabians...you just have to look for them! They do not have to be stalled, but do need a run in or some sort of shelter from the weather and flies. The size of the stall depends on the size of the arab, most of mine barely reach the 14.2, get over the pony size, and do well in a 10 x 10. However there are some larger arabs and they would require at least a 10x12..if not a 12x12. When I say require, it really means how much time they will spend in the stall, as they do need some room to move around, stretch, and lay down. However, I do have some friends that keep there's in stall much smaller, but these horses are outside quite a bit, and only in when the weather is bad..ie, really hot, buggy, storming hard, wind blowing into the run in...etc.. let me know if you have specific questions and I'll try to answer them..They do for the most part have the most amazing personality, and work ethic!

keri

OH MY!! I thought I was the only one with horses in the house!! We had a orphan filly stay here, we kept her in the garage, was way easier then trucking to the barn every couple of hours...It was mid march and she had a lot of health problems, and was really down on her fetlocks, so I used to let her roam the house for excercise...! One night I slept through the feeding alarm, and woke up with her at the end of my bed yanking the covers off...she had knocked down the pet gate seperating the garage from the home! Guess she got tired of waiting for her food!
laugh.gif

PS Love the shot of the one on the couch...that's where mine would be if I let em..lol!

I have 26 year old bay arabian mare,she is 14 to 15 hands. She is the sweet gal and she is a buddy to the minis. I will have a pic of her and the minis soon on my website.

Leslie

I own an arabian x quarter horse ("Quarab") gelding named Sky. He is the first horse I ever owned and I think he's got some of the best of both breeds. And, there are palomino quarabs. Pinto ones, too, which are called Pintabians.

Sky-page-1.jpg

sky+jill-small-medium.jpg

fairy2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a 1/2 arab & 1/2 tenesse walking horse who was a palimino- best horse i ever owned. If I put him in a stall it was 12x12 he was 15.2hh- Sorry lost all my pict of him. Beautiful personality and the smoothest gait- I could never feel comfortable on another horse.
laugh.gif

Tiffany

I bred Arabs for nearly twenty years!! There is no Cream dilute, Silver Dilute not True Roan in Arabs, so you cannot get Palomino pure breds. I bred Palomino part breds, though, getting them as "Araby" as I possibly could. There are also a few Arab "Pintos" around, though not over here, nor ever likely to be!! I feel they lack th equality of the proper Arab, as did the Blacks in the early days- maybe they will pick up as the pattern gets "older" but, form past experience, I doubt it. It's like the TB "Pintos" they lack th substance in general, but that's just my opinion. I never stalled my mares. they all lived out until the kids hi-jacked them for eventing- then they had to be clipped and stalled- my stalls for the Arabs were a minimum of 12 x 12 and the foaling stall was 20 x 18- I have that sectioned into four for the Minis now
smile.gif

I have a 22 year old palomino half-arabian gelding. Actually, he is 15/16 Arabian; his sire is straight Egyptian (dark bay). His dam was a palomino part-arabian. I've had him since just before he turned three.

Here's a picture I took of him this summer.

Cheddar-july152005.jpg

Sorry about the quality, but it was windy and I also tried to edit the picture.

Here's one from last summer, not a great angle, but does show his color pretty good. He's an in-your-face kind of guy, so can be hard to take pictures of.

Cheddar-Aug2004.jpg

I have a Yearling Arabian Gelding

AHA registered Shaks Sammy Lee (shahara lee:Shaq dede)

Here he is ..i love him to death and am planning on showing him in halter some next summer. I have had him for about 2 month now ..he was $1,700. His father went to nationals a couple times and his mother was shown in dressage.

100_9597.jpg

100_9600.jpg

He is a bit spooky on allot of things, but he is young. We are sending him up to a school in michigan to have him worked with on ground manners for 2 month sometime this winter. He is a real sweetheart and beauty but he just needs some work. I plan on keeping him forever. I wasnt to into the Arabian breed because i had heard so many bad things about them (spooky, jumpy, ext) but Sammy realy isnt that bad, he's just young as i said. I dont really like riding arabians all that much and riding a propper fitting saddle is one heck of a time (go bareback ..wooo). I have rode an arabian once and he took off on me bc someone started up a car. But they are real lovers.

OH YEAH ..and if you want more info on them go to the AHA website. FOR FREE you can sign up to get a huge book and dvd all about arabians. I ordered one (free) and it gives allot of info. Hope that helps!

Leeana :D

I have one left that I co own with my friend and she has a number of purebreds and part bred's along with a black stallion (soon to be gelding).....out of high school I worked in arab show/training barns as a groom.....and then on breeding farms as well......I have met a number of the "elite" horses and many of the top trainers over the years.......there are a number of members on the forum who are very active in the arab world........do you have specific questions?

In general my experience is arabians are very intelligent, extremely people oriented, and have a ton of heart. They are not flighty but they do move quickly, some are a bit higher strung than others but most that appear hot can also be ridden by children......my friend has a mare that can high blow snort and prance while looking as if she is barely in control and then in half a breath she can be mellow as a lab
wink.gif
it is all about show
biggrin.gif
she wants to make sure everyone see's her and acknowledges her beauty.......yet she is gentle and kind and safe with even the smallest children......

One of the best scenes I ever saw...3 people I knew at a show all 3 had stallions and between classes the 3 stallions stood next to each other at a hitching post while the owners chatted away moments before they had been high stepping and fiery going around the pleasure ring.........my experience is that this is normal.....

runamuk- is so right- whenI first got my "shams" he was very laid back and gentle perfect beginners horse as I got better he was more "showy" to the point where other people were afraid to ride him- but he would settle like the perfect gentleman when he was not on- or when kids or beginners were involved- and as I think back to a few friends with arabs or arab mixes there were quite lot the same way.

Well for me the arabian horse is my first true love. I can't imagine my life without them. I have a straight egyptian mare and last November took in a soon be 30 year old crabbet arabian. There is no other horse with this kind of personality. They can be docile enough for a (then 2 year old, my grandaughter), to sit on their back or they can be so very "showy" with tail in the air, flagging, snorting and blowing. I love to just watch my two mares go out in the morning, you can tell they are having fun. I don't call them "flighty" but they are "sensitive" and they are a breed that you MUST give respect to because if you try and "bully" them, then your done for.

Friends-1.JPG

Hi,

I have one arabian right now, a 7 year old mare named SPH Phancyphire. She is my second foal. My first foal I had to put down at age 9. Phancy's dam was my first arabian and her sire is now a gelding. She is a bay with star, and such a good girl. I have had arabians since 1991, bred a number of foals. In fact I have a arab foal due in 2006, sired by Massalah Arabiya, out of Contessa Angelina, a mare I recently sold but I retained the foal. Then I will breed Phancy and SPH Aurora Blue, another mare I sold but retained a breeding right to her, in 2006 for 2007 foals. i thought about breeding to Vercases Echo or Afire Within, two gorgeous stallions here in Quebec, all depends on the money situation as Echo's stud fee is $1500 per mare and Fire's is $1000 per mare. Phancy has 6 months professional show training but still hates going on her left lead. I love her anyway. She has had 2 foals for me, a colt in 2002, now a gelding and sold to a great lady in Quebec, and a filly in 2004 who I sold to a lady in New Brunswick. I'll always have arabians around but now I have the mini bug.
biggrin.gif
yes.gif
I own 7 minis now, a stallion, 4 mares in foal for 2006, a 2005 filly and a gelding, a shetland mare in foal(foal retained by lady I bought her from) and my arabian mare. Here I am with a 5 stall barn, luckily 2 can be converted into smaller stalls. One I can make into 4 stalls, the other into 2. I also have a 32 stall pig barn that I could use, needs some work, and has not had pigs in it for 35 years but had cattle in it last winter. We had some that calved in January so had to put them in. Would not take much to make the stalls usuable for minis, just needs new lights, the wiring checked again. Also a good cleaning as it has been used for storage for years. I even have a horse sleigh in there that I did not know about. I hope to use it this winter with Phancy.

We raise Arabians and Half-Arabians and as was mentioned before, they are very sensitive but form strong bonds. We just love their beautiful heads, big eye and gorgeous movement. We will always have a few around even though we are focusing more on raising our miniatures now. Below are some pictures of our big "kids". They mean the world to us.
wub.gif

Rho-Mistique_03a.jpg

"Misty"

WH-Concerto_08a.jpg

"Cherry"

SR-Rockabey-Baby_13.jpg

"Rockie & 2005 Black Pinto Half-Arab colt Prophecy

Prophecy07.jpg

"Prophecy" Sept 2005

Mistiques-Sensation_14.jpg

"Raven" 2004 Black Pinto Half-Arab filly

Last edited by a moderator:
I own one now he is a 19 year old named Senorr Makorr. He was my grandmas last foal and will be with me until the end. He is tall for an arab at 16 hands.
Scan0002_0002.jpg

NOT a Arabian fan here, But I must say.... No Palomino? If you looking to buy one any time soon Molly had a half sibling online for about a year, Sire was Calvin Sackett (Mollys sire) dam was some Arab and came out with a very arabian looking golden palomino. You'da loved him!

Latest posts

Back