Appy color experts look

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Roses

Reaction score
Please examine our 5 week old colts pics. Now, He is sired by a grey white eqyptian king grandson and a Blue boy grandaughter, neither are appaloosa and none listed in pedigree on studbook. His sire has 14 foals and none apps to note. I just cant imagine where he gets all the mottled skin, its all over his muzzle, eyes, genitals, and his skin is very light almost pink. What do you all think? Appaloosa?! I dont like to false advertise if he is not. I have more close up pics if needed. We are just tickled by him ..

Opinions please..

DSCN0447.JPG

DSCN0370.JPG

Sometimes palominos will get those there and around eyes and by their bottom.

BTW! What a cutie!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
here is another pic of him after I clipped his face up a bit. He is a silver dapple going to be grey. His sire was a silver turned grey and his dam is solid bay. He was born with these speckles and they havent changed, actually have gotten more defined and has them on the flat of his face too. also found a pea sized black spot on his neck where I clipped him. Excuse poopy stall, hadnt mucked them out yet

DSCN0475.JPG

I, too, have had a palomino foal do that. Also, sabino's can get mottled skin as well. I'm guessing not appaloosa. Pretty baby, btw.
default_smile.png

Mottling is common with grey so I would guess it's from him having the grey gene and not from appy. Pretty baby!

He looks Appaloosa to me.Just be aware that colors in studbooks are not always accurate.Before actual photos colors were at discretion of person submitting paperwork.I know firsthand of horse of mine in studbook listed as b/w pinto when he is actually Appaloosa.I had my grey Egyptian King son bred to my pintaloosa mare and foal was born solid and later got spots and mottled skin.

I have seen many grey horses with that effect, I really don't think it is anything to do with appaloosa. Who cares though cos he is just adorable
wub.gif
Can he come and live with me???

I dont know if its appy but it doesnt look like the typical grey mottling either , I can see the striped feet from the silver gene (that could also be appy) but what is strange is if he is silver ....a black based foal then why does he have pink skin ?? I can unbderstand it on his face because he has a blaze ..but on his genitalia

whatever he is , hes a little beauty !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input and compliments, he's a little pistol, full of himself . Adding a pic of his wee wee. Greys dont have spotted genitals like this only muzzles!? His anus is just like this too. I have never seen a grey born with black spots, usually they depigment with age, his sire has this depigmentation on his muzzle but that it. Make sure you click on the pic and it will enlarge it. Maybe it will all turn black eventually. Its just differnt. I will update after a few months and have him clipped out.
default_wink.png

DSCN0382.JPG

is there anyone that could have jumped the fence ? RF where are you ???

We have had many greys through the years and most of them have mottling everywhere and many. People thought they were apps. They are NOT.

Latest posts

Back