What an interesting color change! LOL!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I clipped my yearling today. He is a Silver Smokey Black (Silver Black + Cream or Smokey Black + Silver. However you wish to describe it, lol) and previously this year he had a really nasty dull coat. In June I switched his feed (Miniature Horse & Pony) and in two weeks he was DARK.

I clipped him today after I gave him a bath with that color intensifying shampoo for dark horses. It had him really soft, lol. I lurve petting him.
default_wub.png

Any who, I clipped him and here's some pictures we took.

283818_128715787214972_100002296543466_210659_4899266_n.jpg

283818_128715793881638_100002296543466_210660_4772883_n.jpg

285594_128716577214893_100002296543466_210668_5476371_n.jpg

285594_128716580548226_100002296543466_210669_5590070_n.jpg

I'll get better pictures tomorrow. I have to buy a 15 blade for his legs/face. He was a complete angel while I was clipping him. He's the type of horse that you can clip without being tied up and he'd fall asleep. He almost did too.

But, like I said. I'll get pictures of him all spiffed up in his show halter for you guys. Lol. I think he looks amazing. He looks A LOT like his sire.

Pete, is mottling out and it is ADORABLE! His nose, of course, has a little strip from his blaze and the dark skin around it has faint mottled skin that's coming in. Its so cute.
default_wub.png

He's an appaloosa by the way. I thought I would share how it was affecting his color. Its so interesting!

QUESTION: Does the age/amount of mottling affect how much they'll varnish out?

-Both Pete and his half brother (same appaloosa sire with NON-Appaloosa bred dams) have more mottling than their sire ever did. Pete, I've noticed is starting MUCH earlier than his half brother who is four. Both are varnishing. Does the amount of mottling at a young age kind of predict the amount of varnishing they'll have later on in life?

When I get his pictures tomorrow, I'll post some pictures of his sire next to him (old picture of him next to Pete's, lol) to show how much they look a like, lol.

Oh! I forgot to mention why I was clipping him!

I clipped Pete because we have a show July 21st! Wish us luck!

He is looking better and better as the weeks go past, his coat is turning so lovely and rich. well done
wub.gif
You have a great way with your horses and it is a pleasure to see a youngster so happy to be clipped. Do you want a holiday in Italy to clip a few ???
yes.gif

He looks really great! I love the mottling - have no idea when or whether it will increase!

Good luck with the show too.
default_yes.gif

Anna

He's lovely! Good luck with the show!!!

Looks great - have fun at the show.

Gotta add one P.S. because I can't take the "mom" out of me...Please be careful. I have a friend who got kicked in the face by her mini donkey while clipping her back legs and a week or two ago someone posted a horrible picture of an injury that someone received while wearing flip flops around a horse
default_smile.png

Thanks guys.

I LOVE clipping my little ones. My youngest horses ALWAYS surprise me each time. Usually its the way they act. I don't know why, but my young ones are so EASY. I always hear horror stories about bathing, clipping, and loading and they are just angels.

Just last night a gave a filly a bath and she was feeling arrogant (as always, lol) and I decided to see if she'd load the trailer by herself. I climb into the trailer and she jumped right into it on the first try. What's even more surprising is that the trailer is to her shoulder.

I'll definitely donate my time towards clipping. I LOVE clipping horses. I can clip most if not all of my horses without them tied. (Helps with the babies since that way we take LOTS of breaks and I don't stress them out.)

I hardly ever wear flip flops when I'm near my horses. lol. Pete's definitely my safe one though. Falls asleep just like his dam.

I'm going to try and get pictures of Pete tonight. I totally messed his face up this weekend with a 40 blade though.....I'm hoping that my new 15 blade will help fix it.
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back