Color experts....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Gaits Farm

Reaction score
I am really do not know what color to register this colt. I think he is perlino....but not sure....can you help me please? Sire is cremello and dam is silver buckskin....

Not good photos...colt is less than 12 hrs old, still with foal hooves...but I am curious as to what you think his correct color is. Thanks in advance. Oh....pink skin and aqua blue eyes.

riocolt10.JPG

To really know about double dilutes, you have to get them color tested. You should test him for black/red, bay (agouti), and silver. That would give you a more accurate answer than trying to guess by what he looks like.

Congratulations by the way!

To really know about double dilutes, you have to get them color tested. You should test him for black/red, bay (agouti), and silver. That would give you a more accurate answer than trying to guess by what he looks like.Congratulations by the way!
This but I would venture to guess him as a smokey cream, but that's just me being an oddball lol.

He's pretty dark, I'd assume smokey cream. Course I really haven't been keeping up with what the registries allow for colors, if they recognize smokey cream. Perlino is a possibility, they are often born that dark. Testing for agouti would tell you for sure.

I'd also guess Smokey Cream, as he is pretty dark. Perlinos are whiter with darker points, and cremellos are usually pretty bright white...

A test would tell you for sure!

Andrea

I'd also guess Smokey Cream, as he is pretty dark. Perlinos are whiter with darker points, and cremellos are usually pretty bright white...
A test would tell you for sure!

Andrea

I ditto Andrea's post entirely.

Thanks to you all...you have been most helpful. I do think you are right about smokey cream.....I was under the impression that perlinos were the same color as cremellos, but have a little reddish tint to their mane and tail and maybe some darker points.....I have just never had any horse of this color and have been extremely confused. I can have him tested, but am wondering how the registries will allow him to be listed. I just hate it when you put down the wrong color as a foal and have to deal with it until getting it changed.

Thanks again...so much for all of the replies....I am jumping on the bandwagon for smokey cream.....If anyone has had a foal of this color, I would like to see them or know if the registries do use that as a color.

I vote Smoky Cream with Silver. He reminds me of several silver foals I've seen.
default_smile.png

Smokey Cream ... looks just like my own boy when he was born, and he's a DNA'd smokey cream ... please test to be sure, it's not expensive
default_smile.png

I think you should test him, although some double dilutes can be told apart, and my guess would be Smoky Cream, it cannot really be relied on.

It is just a guess.

Latest posts

Back