Appy and Me and our new Jerald at the show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree on sitting up straighter and leaning back, it will help your balance and your overall picture.

I finally figured out a few weeks ago why I do the same thing sometimes- I'm a rider first, driver second. When I wanted my horse to give me some speed on the trail it was proper to lean forward and get my weight off his back so he could give it to me. I also hunched my shoulders forward to lower my wind resistance as I leaned in close to the horse's neck. The same instincts hit me in the cart but it's exactly the wrong thing to do there as leaning forward puts weight onto their backs via the shafts and makes it difficult for them to round up. Sit up straight, pull your shoulders back, and keep your elbows elastic. I don't agree with the rationale of "lightening their forehand" by pulling them up off it with the wrap straps, but leaning back will take the weight off their backs and help them rock back onto their haunches which will accomplish the same thing.

Leia
I think that hits the nail on the head - I'm CONSTANTLY reminding myself that I'm not riding Appy - I don't need my heels down, leaning forward won't make him go faster.... etc.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I will work at sitting up straighter (maybe I'll put on a tight girdle?) and smiling more - B said I was smiling some of the time! I was also working very hard at not staring at his butt like y'all have told me! :bgrin

You are definitely smiling more! :aktion033: The staring at the butt I sure understand more now that you let me drive him some. It's hard not to stare at it.

I sure hope I can get Star going in harness. It's a lot of fun!

Latest posts

Back