Appy and Me and our new Jerald at the show

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
Went to our first AMHR show in harness - and the first time we hitched up to the new Jerald which had arrived 2 days before the show! we were punching new holes in the harness and making all sorts of adjustments, trying to keep in mind everyone's helpful advice from my last thread... I tried to find it for comparison purpose, but didn't have any luck.

Sorry for the photo quality - these are video captures instead of digital photos (I made poor B video me instead of handing her my camera!)

Appy and I were both MUCH more comfortable in the Jerald, although I was concerned about the smaller wheels making it harder for him to pull me!
default_unsure.png
: He turned better and we both seemed to be better balanced!

We showed in Country Pleasure classes - we placed in all of them, even the stakes class... and we WON one of the Amateur classes!

This one's for Jane - checks are required in the shows, but this shot shows how loose it was - is this good? We were warming up and I was encouraging him to be "long and low"

307pcmhc-1.jpg

We tried to use the britching, but it wasn't really working and we couldn't figure out how to hook it up on the cart (no footman loops?) so we took it off after this class. If you can see through the blurs, this may show the cart balance?

307pcmhc-4.jpg

Appy's favorite part of the class - the line up!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Can you see his festive sequined St. Patrick's day bow tie?

307pcmhc-5.jpg

I liked this capture - he was sort of "dancing" away from someone's pee spot in the dirt!
default_whistling.gif
: Some stallion, heh? Doesn't even want to stop and smell the pee!
default_rolleyes.gif
:

307pcmhc-6.jpg

Starting to get some head set off and on... this shot is us slow trotting from the warm up session...

307pcmhc-7.jpg

This is from one of the classes, extended trot... I guess I need to quit talking to Appy so he isn't always flicking his ears back to listen to me - most of the time they're forward unless I'm talking!
default_blush.png
:

307pcmhc-8.jpg

Are his blinders in the right place? Sometimes I think they should be higher, but when I try it, they look too high... yes, they're required in the class.

As always - helpful hints and gentle criticism welcome! You guys have been so valuable to me and I'm sure Appy is thankful, too!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys look great :aktion033:

Does not hurt to talk to them during the class, atleast it shows he is listening to you.

Very good job.

:aktion033: Love-love-love your outfit...it compliments your horse extremely well, and speaks of elegance and class.
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

I just cannot figure why they don't put a breeching hook on those carts. They cost enough, that in my mind, all the required hardware should already be there when you purchase them. :no:

I use a false breeching on all of my carts, are you allowed to use them in a sanctioned show??

Should you get tired of that little man...send him my way...
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

AND...his BOW-TIE...PRICELESS!

He looks good! His head does need to come in more at the extended trot, though.

Ditch the breeching. You don't need it in a ring, definitely not on a Jerald and none of the pros use it so if you do use it makes you look like a flaming novice...
default_wink.png
: You want to blend in with something like that. Let HIM stand out, not your stuff.

One little hint- SIT BACK. That draws the weight off his shafts, frees his front end up so he'll have more lift. If you watch some of the big trainers, they lean WAAAYYY back during the extended trot to really pull that front end up. Look at the lady in red in the second pic- she is sitting straighter up, you look like you're kinda leaning forward....

As for your blinkers, they should be in the middle of his eye, it was kinda hard to see in the pix..... but your harness looks good, the shafts are just right and he looks like he's enjoying himself!

Lucy

Karen, You and Appy both look GREAT! Beatiful turnout all around. As Sue mentioned, your outfit is both complimmentary and classy.

I'm barely started with driving, so I have nothing really useful to add, but I like that you are successfully combining breed show and ADS styles, and that you have Appy's best interest at heart. Kudos!

Finally, of course Appy would dance away from a pee sot -- no stylish stallion would want to drag that beautiful tail through something so unseemly!

You guys look good for just starting, looks like he's enjoying himself, I really can't ad anything that the others haven't said. So keep up the good work
default_yes.gif
: Joyce

Lovely turnout! And I agree with sitting up and back a bit, and you don't need the breeching in the showring
default_smile.png

Looks like you are having a blast. His head is a bit low for my book, but still looks like you had fun.

Nothing new to add except my agreement that you guys look great and CONGRATS on your win!!! :aktion033: Way to go!!!

:aktion033: Congrats! I think you both look very sharp!

You both look great! It sounds like this is still new to him, so most of the head set stuff will come with time. I prefer to get the good forward motion first and then work on the head set, so you don't get him short striding at all.

I love your outfit and I agree with leaving off the breeching for the sanctioned shows.

I would just say, sit back, and keep your elbows at your sides. You don't need to push your arms forward, just lengthen your reins a little bit. You should try for a nice straight line from the bit to your elbows and from your shoulder, down through your elbows, hips and seat... Does that make sense?? And I agree with leaning back a bit when extending as it will help open up his shoulders. Whew! Not too much to do since you have obviously been working so hard and have all the other basics down!!

Great job!! Keep us updated through the season!! I never get tired of seeing pictures of Appy
default_wub.png
:

Dontworrybeappy said:
Went to our first AMHR show in harness - and the first time we hitched up to the new Jerald which had arrived 2 days before the show! we were punching new holes in the harness and making all sorts of adjustments, trying to keep in mind everyone's helpful advice from my last thread...
Isn't adjusting harness for a new vehicle the single most annoying task ever? LOL. It's driving me crazy!

Appy and I were both MUCH more comfortable in the Jerald, although I was concerned about the smaller wheels making it harder for him to pull me!
default_unsure.png
: He turned better and we both seemed to be better balanced!
That's really interesting.
default_yes.gif
: I'm not sure why that would be unless the Jerald is lighter or wider in the shafts than your other cart, but the horse knows a lot more than we can see in pictures. If he's happy then that is absolutely all that matters and you have the bonus of your fine-looking show cart also being the one your horse likes best! :aktion033: Woohoo!

We showed in Country Pleasure classes - we placed in all of them, even the stakes class... and we WON one of the Amateur classes!
I am bouncing up and down for you. :new_multi: That is so freakin' awesome!!! :risa8: :488: I am thrilled because it's a win for someone I consider a friend, for a horse I really like, and because you have your harness well adjusted, dared to use breeching, and showed a horse who is still learning without trying to force him to adopt a headset he's not quite ready for yet. And you won! :aktion033: That is just so great I can't even say.

This one's for Jane - checks are required in the shows, but this shot shows how loose it was - is this good? We were warming up and I was encouraging him to be "long and low"
307pcmhc-1.jpg
I love it.
default_wub.png
: You guys look so cool! He really is stretching into the bit there and using himself quite nicely. From that will come the higher headset and fancier movement that everyone likes to see.

We tried to use the britching, but it wasn't really working and we couldn't figure out how to hook it up on the cart (no footman loops?) so we took it off after this class.
Without footman's loops it's awfully tough. I think some people wrap it around the trace carrier loops on the shafts? In these classes the only use for it is on the backup as the deep dirt usually slows the cart enough for smooth downward transitions without it. Even I've given up and taken off the breeching for every class except obstacle driving, and that's only because I'm using a cart that's heavier than your usual show cart and it won't roll backwards well from just the saddle.

...I guess I need to quit talking to Appy so he isn't always flicking his ears back to listen to me - most of the time they're forward unless I'm talking!
Well don't nag him, but don't be afraid to talk to him if he needs reassurance or discipline! :new_shocked: Any judge worth their salt knows the difference between sour unhappy ears and listening ears.

Are his blinders in the right place? Sometimes I think they should be higher, but when I try it, they look too high...
You could put them up a notch and it wouldn't hurt, but they're okay.

I agree on sitting up straighter and leaning back, it will help your balance and your overall picture.

I finally figured out a few weeks ago why I do the same thing sometimes- I'm a rider first, driver second. When I wanted my horse to give me some speed on the trail it was proper to lean forward and get my weight off his back so he could give it to me. I also hunched my shoulders forward to lower my wind resistance as I leaned in close to the horse's neck. The same instincts hit me in the cart but it's exactly the wrong thing to do there as leaning forward puts weight onto their backs via the shafts and makes it difficult for them to round up. Sit up straight, pull your shoulders back, and keep your elbows elastic. I don't agree with the rationale of "lightening their forehand" by pulling them up off it with the wrap straps, but leaning back will take the weight off their backs and help them rock back onto their haunches which will accomplish the same thing.

Great job Karen!! I love my Appy-fixes and hope you'll keep them coming.

Leia

I know nothing about driving, but I do know you guys look GREAT together! Your suit is beautiful and it goes perfectly with your little guy!

Keep it up! :aktion033:

I think you are looking good, all round.

Even I agree with taking the breeching off, not because it is not needed or because you would stick out but because it is bothering you and you still have not got the hang of it- also the cart is not fixed up for it, so basically no breeching is better than unfixed, incorrectly adjusted breeching and both you and Appy have better things to worry about than stupid bits of harness!!

Now, on to you- you are looking GOOD now all you have to do is believe it!!

Sit up and SMILE, BODY LANGUAGE, my love, believe in yourself, have confidence, ENJOY YOURSELF!!!!!!

If it ain't fun it ain't worth doing- who said that??
default_smile.png

You need to put your shoulders back, not hunch them up, you need to be strong (in body language- I love the softness of your hands, do not change that) and IMO the cart could go just a smidgen lower on the shafts- maybe one hole on the tugs??

I would also put the collar one hole, probably no more, lower as well, but that is up to you as you know how it is all balanced- I can only go by what I see in one a still picture.

You know that no way, EVER would I suggest using a check rein, at any time, to get his head higher or "set" better- a horse has what it has and it should only be asked to work within the parameters of what it can give naturally.

You also know I would chuck the martingale in the bin!!
default_yes.gif
:

But I think I can see a change from the last set of pictures- you are getting there, just keep on doing what you are doing!!

Good work so far.

Love to see the pictures - now I want to see you SMILING!!!!
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great!

Get shaft stops (never can figure why they are never sold with these carts). This will elimate the need for the britchin. BEFORE drilling holes in your shafts hitch Appy to the cart and then make marks for the holes.

First you need to set the shafts back a bit. When hooking I always pull the tugs forward an inch or so forward before wrapping so when the cart gets pulled back when he moves the tugs straps will line up with your backpad. Ideally there should be straight lines (as in tugs line up with backpad, traces line up with shafts.

Pretty cart, pretty horse, pretty driver..nice picture! Keep up the great work!

Kim

PS I use french loops, however this pic shows the placement I am trying to explain..

2909b830.jpg

Here is a further away pic to show how things should be "in line" at a stand still (notice tugs look a little ahead..)

and here is a pic to demo the moving ..see how the tugs pull back in line with the backpad...

justbarbie.jpg

PSS Sorry the pics are so big..

SCOUT.jpg

Wow...the first thing that caught my eye was your beautiful outfit and how amazing you and your horse compliment each other! I love it! I won't reiterate what everyone has already said in the previous posts....you have gotten some great advice and kudos! Keep up the good work...relax and enjoy your ride and horse! You guys are really looking GOOD!!!!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks guys, this wouldn't be as much fun without all your help and encouragement! :aktion033:

Forgot to mention that another thing I'm doing to help Appy in driving is that since December (when I was diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes) I have lost 10 pounds and kept it off - and I'm working at losing another 60 or so. I'll have to buy all new outfits - but that'll be the fun part!
default_yes.gif
:

Leia said it VERY well! Nicely-conceived outfit; very suitable to a country pleasure turnout, IMO. Agree with those who've suggested sitting fully back on the seat, shoulders upright, not even the slightest 'lean' forward...you would be frankly amazed at how just leaning your upper body forward can change the balance of a two wheeled cart, putting too much weight onto the tug loops/your horse's back--that said, do NOT lean BACK-it looks stilted and ridiculous, will almost certainly lead to 'balancing' on the horse's MOUTH via the reins, and is patently unsafe, IMO, in these little carts w/ no seat back! Try not to extend your arms quite so much; the upper arm should basically be parallel to/slightly forward in relation to, the upper torso, then make a near-90 degree angle at the elbow, in relaxed manner. When you 'have it right', the shortening and lengthing of the reins in response to the horse's increase/decrease in stride('speed' is really only a secondary result of lengthening or shortening of stride), and/or change of gait, can be accomplished by the slightest movement 'forward or back' of the upper arm, w/o having to shorten the reins(easy to lengthen, by just allowing them to 'slide' through your hand, harder to shorten--so one wants to strive for being able to find that 'middle ground' where such is largely unnecessary! It comes more easily and naturally as the horse(and the driver!) progresses in training and experience!!)

Nice way the horse is learning to move! It's true that the check IS required, so it's use shouldn't be questioned-adjustment seems fine to allow the horse range of movement, yet not be flopping. I would leave off the running martingale; it basically contributes NOTHING.

Adding footman loops to a Jerald is VERY easy-' hardest' part is choosing the proper location on the shaft to mount them(you want them to be where they will allow a straight line of 'connection' and allow the proper adjustment of the breeching holdback straps' they should be UNDER the shaft.)I did it, and showed successfully In AMHA Country Pleasure for several years, w/ properly-adjusted breeching...it is my FERVENT hope that those who hold cards to judge Miniature shows will become better educated and recognize that it has a PERFECTLY proper place in Country Pleasure classes. (There are numerous accomplished pleasure ring drivers who would be astonished to be described as 'flaming novices' because they use breeching, BTW. Single pleasure-i.e., the 'fine harness' look/style--yes, done w/o breeching--but for a genuine country pleasure turnout???)

The horse's eye should be centered on the blinders. Remember that the upper adjustment on a driving bridle is basically for the height of the blinders, while the bottom one is basically for the overall 'length' of the headstall/where the bit will hang in the mouth.

You look to be coming along VERY nicely; congratulations on your successes at the show, keep up the good work, and ENJOY, ENJOY!!

Margo

Karen (and all other diabetics)

I don't know if this is as true for type II diabetics, or whether you use insulin, but as a type I diabetic, I've learned that the show ring almost guarantees a big drop in blood sugar, and always have emergency food in my pockets...better to be safe than get shaky out there!

Back