Appaloosa Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherylsminis

Reaction score
Till what age is an appaloosa considered to be colored out as much as they are going to?

I don't think there's a set age! Some appies will keep changing until the day they die! And some may not change at all! I know of an appaloosa colt that was born in 2002, was solid black with just the characteristics (mottled skin and sclera) by the time he shed his first coat he had white hairs coming through, his yearling shed he had a lacey blanket, the following year he didn't change much, but his 3 year old yea he had a white blanket clear to his withers and right now he still has the big blanket to the withers and white coming in on his face.. I've seen another solid appy go from solid to a full fledge leopard in just two shedding seasons1 My appy stallion is coming onto his 6 year old year and everytime he sheds out he has more and more spots, granted I think he will remain a near leopard, but I think he'll continue to get spots for several more years to come!

Till what age is an appaloosa considered to be colored out as much as they are going to?

I have had some color out till 6 years old. And some will continue to change, like add another spot here or there. I had a solid bay appy filly, started to color out at a yearling, and to this day going on 4 years, still getting more white spots.

we raise appaloosas (ApHC) and they change color constantly. Okapi has also been changing since I got him. they can change color their entire lives! that is what is fun about appys.

that is what is fun about appys
I couldn't agree more! That's why we chose to raise appies and pintaloosas! I've seen solid born foals out of the loudest appy parents and loud colored foals out of solid parents! Guess they go along with the saying "like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get!" hehehe
default_wink.png
: :bgrin
default_yes.gif
:

Hey NVsOkapi do share pics with your big guys/gals.. I'm a true appy fan no matter what size!
default_wub.png
:

Ditto! It took my Mini mare Melody about 5 to 6 years to finish coloring out and has not changed much since. Nutmeg is six this year and still changing some. We had a full sized Appy that did not color out til she was six, but it was not gradual- it was all over one winter. Our neighbors had one that did not color til she was 13! (full sized)

Yep, love em! They are the 'box of chocolates' in that you never know what you are going to get and every year is Xmas! LOL

I agree and I am an Appy fanatic.....LOVE 'em all shapes, sizes and colors! Love the constant change of colors and shocked everytime a baby is born! :aktion033: :aktion033:

Last edited by a moderator:
:aktion033: Thanks sooooo much for all of the replys! I have recently purchased 2 appy mares and an appy stud. I agree that they are" like a box of chocolate". I am excited to see what they throw.

Thanks again,

Cheryl :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back