Appaloosa Coloring Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquestraDreams

Reaction score
Is it common for a solid looking horse to produce an appaloosa?

I bred my AMHR/ASPC pinto stallion to my true gray mare (born black and turned gray) and got what looked like a solid bay foal with striped hooves. At about 8 months he started developing mottling and when I clipped him out as a yearling he turned out to be a snowflake appaloosa. I know my stallion can not be carrying any appaloosa genetics, so it is obviously the mare, but she doesn't appear to have any characteristics. The mares sire is listed as a "tri color pinto" (he eventually went completely gray) and her dam listed as sorrel. How weird is that?

Appaloosa pattern can "hide" pretty well at times. It can be something as small as a bit of mottling between the udder, a "dot" on the anus, or vulva, and many times the white scelara is not noticed in a blue eyed horse. Silvers can hide appy characteristics amazingly well, as they too, can have light mottling and striped hooves.

If you check your horses background, I bet you will find several "roans" back there...many of which were very likely appy roans, rather than the true roan.

Are you sure its the appy gene and not grey? Grey gene can mimic some of the appy traits. I have a grey mare out here and if you looked and her mouth and private areas she would look appy to anybody but I know she isnt.

I have a grey mare out here and if you looked and her mouth and private areas she would look appy to anybody but I know she isnt.
Is your mare a true grey, or is she a silver, possibly a silver gone grey? I have not seen a true grey horse show "appy characteristics" unless it is an appy...going/gone grey. (Not to say it cannot happen, but I would wonder if there wasn't appy in there somewhere.)

Latest posts

Back