AOTE Classes in AMHA

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keri

Reaction score
I'm just getting into showing AMHA. I've toyed with it on and off for a few years, but plan to hit some bigger shows this year. My question is on the AOTE classes. Someone told me I had to nominate my horse at the beginning of the year in order to show in these classes. But I was just on the AMHA site and I can't find a form like this. Can someone point me in the right direction or straighten me out???
default_wacko.png

I just called AMHA and spoke to someone regarding that as I had herd this rumor once before. Melody(from the show committe) is not in, but the two people that I spoke to never heard of it either.

It would be rather dumb to require that as most of us have no idea at this point what horses we are going to show, especially those of us who live in a very cold climate. Our weanlings that just became yearlings, are just to hairy to know for sure who we are going to show.

There is a rule that anyone showing AOTE must have the horses they plan on showing in their name or leased to them by December 31st.

There is no form to designate your horse AOTE. The horse is designated AOTE when it enters its first AOTE class of the year. Here is what the rule book says.

d. A horse will be declared an AOTE horse when it enters its first AOTE class of the calendar year. Prior to

being declared, the AOTE horse must abide by the AOTE rules starting on January 1st. The AOTE horse

must be shown under the AOTE guidelines for one calendar year starting on January 1st regardless of the

class entered (including open division classes).

There is an AOTE OPT-OUT form if you sell the horse during the year or put the horse with a trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I've always just entered my horses in AOTE classes and never got booted out. But I wanted to do it right this year.
default_saludando.gif
Guess I already was.
default_laugh.png

Yep, AOTE is amatuer, owned, trained, exibited (which I do all my own training and showing on my horses).

Here are the requirements for AOTE:

You must own or have a current lease as of January 1st of the year you plan to show. In other words, if you buy a horse in February, they are NOT eligible for AOTE for that year, you have to wait for the following year.

No horse may enter AOTE if there is a professional trainer in the household.

Anyone may hold your horse and pet your horse, but only owners or leasees or members of the household may groom, train, condition and show the horse.

In the event that an Amateur qualifies 2 horses in a championship class, ONLY another amateur may show the horse.

All other Amateur rules apply as well.

Anyone may hold your horse and pet your horse,
I love that they had to actually add this verbiage. The year I was showing Baubles AOTE, some people had gotten so nasty about it AOTE people were afraid to let pros even PET their horses (apparently this constituted grooming), or even be seen with their AOTE horse within 20 yards of a pro (this constituted coaching) or in many cases, have a pro ship their horses, even if the ammie showed up to load and unload them! People even started to worry about barn hands (paid help) turning horses out or feeding them.

I took no chances and made David come to Nationals to be around to hold Baubles for me. Not that my dear husband knows anything more about a horse then what end bites and what end poops, or that he was a good choice to hold a naughty yearling filly but I had NO other safe options. I just handed him the leadrope and said "DO NOT LET GO." LOL

A couple of really petty people made it such circus, and that verbiage is the reminder of a just how silly things got.

Last edited by a moderator:
I showed AOTE one year and ran into an issue because of a young friend who wanted some show experience. Because she was not a family member, she could not show the horse, even in youth or novice classes. It isn't just trainers that can't show the horse - unless or until they change the rule, only a family member can show that horse.

What if you bought the horse in December of 2008 but didn't send your paperwork until January 2009? Does that preclude you from showing AOTE?

What if you bought the horse in December of 2008 but didn't send your paperwork until January 2009? Does that preclude you from showing AOTE?
Yes, all paperwork had to be completed before the 31st of December. Even if you sent your paperwork in by the 31st, if it was not in the office and completed, the horse is not eligible for AOTE for 2009.

I had a buyer who wanted to show AOTE and they did not have the paperwork done by the 27th of December, so I gave them a lease that they could fax to the office before the 31st deadline.

Yes, all paperwork had to be completed before the 31st of December. Even if you sent your paperwork in by the 31st, if it was not in the office and completed, the horse is not eligible for AOTE for 2009.

I had a buyer who wanted to show AOTE and they did not have the paperwork done by the 27th of December, so I gave them a lease that they could fax to the office before the 31st deadline.
Thanks for answering Riverdance. This is what I figured but wanted to double check.

I know it is the exhibitor's responsibility to know the rules, but the word AMATEUR says a lot here. Many amateurs are new to showing and are not always aware of all the rules. Experienced people at shows, such as those accepting registrations in those classes, might make an extra effort to be sure amateurs are aware of all the rules.

I purchased a new horse on the 27th of Dec. and had to overnight and expedite his paperwork, but we got er done!! It is possible. AMHA was great.

I have a colt born January 2, 2009. I own both his parents and they were bred on our farm to produce this colt. Do I have to wait until 2010 to show him in AOTE?

I have a colt born January 2, 2009. I own both his parents and they were bred on our farm to produce this colt. Do I have to wait until 2010 to show him in AOTE?
No, you can show him right away since you've owned him since birth. The Jan. 1 date applies to newly purchased horses only, not weanlings.

Back