Anyone want to play a color genetics guessing game?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am too late to guess and would have been wrong anyway because I would thought at least heterozygous for tobiano. So as far as the coronets on the legs what testing factor relates to them if any?

Here is a link to Animal Genetics: http://www.animalgen...s.us/Equine.asp

and here is a guide to the test results:

Result Guide:

Tobiano

TT

Homozygous. Horse carries two copies of the Tobiano gene. This horse will always produce Tobiano offspring.

nT

Heterozygous. Horse carries one copy of the Tobiano gene.

nn

Negative for Tobiano.

LWO

OO

Homozygous. Lethal White Foal. Horse was born with a lethal genetic intestinal disorder.

nO

Heterozygous. Horse carries one copy of the LWO gene. Horse will usually exhibit the frame overo pattern.

nn

Negative for Frame Overo (LWO).

Red/Black Factor

ee

Homozygous Red. Horse carries two copies of the Red gene. Horse has a red base pigment.

Ee

Heterozygous. Horse is Black based but carries a recessive copy of the Red gene.

EE

Homozygous for Black Factor. Horse carries two copies of the Black gene. Horse is Black based.

Cream

CrCr

Homozygous. Double dilute. Horse carries two copies of the Cream Dilution gene.

nCr

Heterozygous. Single dilute. Horse carries one copy of the Cream Dilution gene.

nn

Negative for Cream Dilution.
Thanks Teresa that really helped me to understand what you guys are talking about. I printed it off so I had it for quick reference.

PS I love Ribbon. I wish I lived in the States.

I would have guessed homoz. for black for sure.

Glad you are happy with 1/2 of the results.
default_rolleyes.gif

I would have guessed homoz. for black for sure.

Glad you are happy with 1/2 of the results.
default_rolleyes.gif
Actually, I'm happy with all the results. I know what she carries. I just would have been happier if she were homozygous Black and carried Tobiano.

I want to EMPHASIZE to everyone that the only one of these tests that is really important is LWO. The rest is just for curriosity.

this is interesting Freeland! I'm not surprised that her white comes from splash, but I was hooping you'd get some tobi in there too. LOL

We seem to have an odd thing here in that from certian breedings we get homozygous black one year and the following year the same breeding gets us homozygous tobi. Hardly ever the two together.

Charlotte

this is interesting Freeland! I'm not surprised that her white comes from splash, but I was hooping you'd get some tobi in there too. LOL

We seem to have an odd thing here in that from certian breedings we get homozygous black one year and the following year the same breeding gets us homozygous tobi. Hardly ever the two together.

Charlotte
The people who study this genetics stuff in great detail (and make me feel like a kindergartener in it) tell me that Black suppresses (not block) white markings. Thus, a minimal Black Tobiano is more likely than a minimal Red Tobiano. Still, there are exceptions to every rule. Interesting though.

Latest posts

Back