Anyone want to play a color genetics guessing game?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Songcatcher

Reaction score
Valliant, OK 74764 near Texas and Arkansas
I have a little filly that I have just recently sent hair samples in to have tested and I thought it might be interesting if some of you wanted to make some guesses on her genetics. I wish I had pictures of her parents to share, but I don't, although I have personally seen both parents.

Her sire is Bear Farms Gentleman And A Scholar, untested (to the best of my knowledge) but prooven by his get to be a Smokey Black. He has one short white sock and no other markings. He was sired by a minimally marked Black Pinto and out of a Palomino mare.

Her dam is Bear Farms Bright Side, who is solid White except for one brownish colored ear. She was sired by a loud Black and White, blue-eyed stallion and out of a mare listed as Sorrel Pinto.

Here is the filly, Bear Farms Scholars Bright Side. Any one care to guess? Keep in mind these are not the best conformation shots, but hopefully will show her markings.

IMG_6182.jpg

IMG_6165.jpg

IMG_6173.jpg

IMG_6180.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

Tests run for Tobiano, LWO, Red Factor, and Cream.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to guess tobi and splashed for patterns and whether she's LWO and cream - I guess you'll find out soon enough!
default_wink.png

Identical facial markings to my yearling Black/Bay Splash Overo colt. SO I say smokey black splash PLUS tobiano with those socks. Heterozygous Black? Guess that one is up in the air since sire and dam should both be heterozygous for black.

Looks very similar to my yearling gelding. He tested no cream, silver or agouti and has that same blonde look to his mane and tail. Plus he has a black dorsal stripe (?) down his back into his tail. His foal coat looked like he could be buckskin but no cream. He also has both eyes partial blue.

I am very curious to your filly's results!

Marsha

black tobi + splash.
default_biggrin.png

Actually, could be homozygous for tobi. We have one little mare with feet marked just about like that and she is homozygous for tobiano. Our mare has no other white on her though and the splash could be making white feet on your mare.

this is fun!

When do you expect the results?

Charlotte

This is fun......

I'm throwing a different suggestion...... Liver Chestnut PINTO. (I'm leaving the TYPE of pinto open.) LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to guess! Smoky black. Her mane looks just like the mane on my smoky black mare. No guesses on the pinto though.

Now you can tell us, lol!

Can I add, that she probably has Sabino working on her? But I doubt that shows up on the test.

Okay......I am VERY curious about her color test!
default_impatient.jpg

OK, I have the results.

First of all, what I was HOPING for: I was hoping for homozygous Black (and thought it MIGHT be a possibility since the dam has had a Black Pinto foal from a Sorrel Pinto stallion. I was hoping for Tobiano, and thought it was a possibility since I have some other Bear Farms horses that have tested positive for Tobiano and are similarly marked. I was hoping for NO Cream as I am not a big fan of dilutes. I was also hoping for LWO negative as I would like to possibly breed her to my Frame stallion in the future.

What I THOUGHT I would get: Since I am not noted for being lucky, I figured she would be heterozygous Red/Black. I thought she would be heterozygous for Tobiano, since Bear Farms has produced so many minimally marked horses that look so similar to her, but test positive for Tobiano. I really doubted she would be Homozygous for Tobiano because I really couldn't see it in the sire with only one very short sock. Again, with my lack of luck, I expected her to be a Smokey Black, like her sire. I didn't really expect her to be positive for LWO as none of my Bear Farms horses have tested positive for it, BUT I STILL TEST.

TEST RESULTS:

Red Factor - Ee

Tobiano - nn

Cream - nn

LWO - nn

So, I guess I got half of what I hoped for and half of what I expected.

I think Splash is a given with the blue eye and crooked blaze (I do wish they would get a test for it developed though and proove me right). :HB I did not test for Sabino, as I feel probably 90% of horses have some form of Sabino and most of them will not be positive for SB1. I also felt Agouti was a waste of money as she is TOO Black to carry it.

Thanks for posting the results but where do I go to be able to tell what they say. Sorry I dont know what any of the letters mean.

Here is a link to Animal Genetics: http://www.animalgenetics.us/Equine.asp

and here is a guide to the test results:

Result Guide:

Tobiano

TT

Homozygous. Horse carries two copies of the Tobiano gene. This horse will always produce Tobiano offspring.

nT

Heterozygous. Horse carries one copy of the Tobiano gene.

nn

Negative for Tobiano.

LWO

OO

Homozygous. Lethal White Foal. Horse was born with a lethal genetic intestinal disorder.

nO

Heterozygous. Horse carries one copy of the LWO gene. Horse will usually exhibit the frame overo pattern.

nn

Negative for Frame Overo (LWO).

Red/Black Factor

ee

Homozygous Red. Horse carries two copies of the Red gene. Horse has a red base pigment.

Ee

Heterozygous. Horse is Black based but carries a recessive copy of the Red gene.

EE

Homozygous for Black Factor. Horse carries two copies of the Black gene. Horse is Black based.

Cream

CrCr

Homozygous. Double dilute. Horse carries two copies of the Cream Dilution gene.

nCr

Heterozygous. Single dilute. Horse carries one copy of the Cream Dilution gene.

nn

Negative for Cream Dilution.

Back