Anyone know anything about Bamboo?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KanoasDestiny

Reaction score
I have bamboo in my yard and I love it!!! In fact, I want more of it! But I am having a really hard time locating it at nurseries because I don't know the name of it. I've tried finding it online and haven't had any luck. A lot of my neighbors have it (but they aren't willing to part with theirs
default_laugh.png
) but none of them know the name of it either. It grows really well with very little water, and every now and then, we can find it in the river bottom. I read that there are two types of bamboo - clumping and running. I'm not sure what kind this is because it spreads easily, but it's in a clump. Haha, big help, I know. Our's is about 8-10 feet high.

Anyone have this kind or know what it's called?

4-3.jpg

3-4.jpg

2-5.jpg

You can find it on ebay, I have seen it being sold, live plants 2 to 3 feet tall. Just seach bamboo in the gardning. I was looking for bamboo fence to put up around my pool & seen the live plants, I am going to get some next year.

It might be Golden Bamboo. We have it and it stays in clumps. I love it.

Not to be a downer, but bamboo is pretty, but unless you keep it cut back it will take over your whole yard. We had it at our last house and since we moved from NY to NC, we thought cool, but after about three years and trying to keep it at bay. It finally won. The roots will take over all the other trees and things around it. JMO

We were told the best way to get rid of the bamboo was to move!
default_yes.gif
We did

Give it time - you will have plenty
default_gaah.gif

Oh yes bamboo will take over! we have lots and lots of it, probley over 10ft tall too. A few years ago we dug most of it up, left a small patch which I have to try and cut back all the time. Good thing though the horses love the fresh stalks when they pop from the ground and they love the bamboo leaves. So makes for a nice treat in the winter.

It depends on the bamboo, many will not take over the garden at all. In fact I have some clumping bamboo I was hoping was going to spread more that it has....still waiting. Kind of hard to harvest bamboo poles for the garden this the thing does spread and grow at least a little.

There are 1,000's of varities and all with a different growing pattern.

Anyway.. you might want to ask these folks to what varity of Bamboo you have.

http://www.americanbamboo.org/

Our Golden Bamboo has been in the same place for about 13 years and it has not spread. I have seen a couple of other patches around here and they have not spread either, we have been here for 18 years.

Thank you for your replies...it seems like the world is split between those who like bamboo and those who don't. Haha. We have had this bamboo for over eight years, and while it does grow pretty good (when watered daily), it doesn't spread as much as I'd like. With luck, we'll be buying a home in the near future and I'd like to take this bamboo with us (and get more) to put around our acreage as a privacy wall. So the more it grows, the better. Haha.

I'm finding that the nurseries I've contacted don't seem to share my enthusiasm for this type of bamboo. One place never contacted me back, and then I received this from another one today...

"If you want your yard to look a little more spiffy... I'd suggest real bamboo. I see what you have there in rural neighborhoods and river bottoms. If you want that, I suppose I could locate some but it wouldn't be "rooted in", it would freshly dug up. It's always better to buy plants that have had a chance to come back from the shock of transplanting and are beginning to show signs of good health. It wouldn't be bamboo and wouldn't have the status attached with real bamboo. Bamboo is found in the nicer yards and gardens. Bamboo is something you find in yards where people have begun to explore beyond the usual.... You'll find bamboo lovers to be the more intelligent, refined crowd having had the spark to think outside the box. Bamboo is a nice contrast and compliment to other plants. It looks nice mixed in with palms and cycads. Do you need palms and cycads too? If you get real bamboo it will look nicer for one. AND you can select the RIGHT bamboo for your needs and desires. It comes in many colors, black, brown, blue, green, yellow to name a few, with stripes, no stripes, thorns, no thorns, small leaves, big leaves, big stalks or "culms", medium sized culms, or smaller culms. It also comes in a variety of heights from dwarf bamboo which is ground cover to massive 40+ feet tall. Feel free to call me so we can get you some of this fake bamboo or some real bamboo....
default_smile.png
Thanks!"

Not sure if I should be offended by that response? Maybe I'm not intelligent or refined enough to want "real" bamboo.
default_laugh.png

Sounds like the person that told you that... doesn't know what they are talking about.

Contact the American Bamboo Society, they will let you know what kind you have.

The type of bamboo we had in our yard years ago was the take charge kind LOL, you could literally sit and watch it grow on a good day! We had it along one side of a big back yard and it quickly became a thicket. I had to work to keep it from taking over the entire yard. Pretty and makes a great border but very agressive. I would love to have bamboo again if it were controlled.

Jan

Jan, get "Clumping" bamboo... it doesn't go anyway....even when you would like it to.

Latest posts

Back