Anyone here own Doves?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
I absolutely love doves. I used to own and breed ringneck doves, specializing in the colors "pink", "tangerine", and "orange pearled" and I absolutely loved working with the silkies! (feathers naturally fray apart to look "fluffy"). I miss them dearly, I got out of them when I went into mini's. It would be so neat to hear if anyone here has any doves, and i'd love to hear about them and see pictures! I have to laugh because while my friends and family thought the males cooing was annoying, I loved their music =) Doves are so gentle by nature, never peck, not aggressive, and when you get a mated pair the love between the two is just beautiful to see how committed they are to each other
default_wub.png

Here was the love of my life until he passed, Peaches (yes I know it's a girly name lol):

backyard.jpg

Peachesfirstbath.jpg

Peachesback.jpg

Ok lets see any of your doves!

Beauitful!

I have always wanted to have doves....just have never had the money to make a house and outside flight run for them. Maybe some day.

We used to have Doves and I loved them also. But they are the Ugliest chicks!! We had the ringnecks, and we also had pigeons - rollers and fantails.

We have wild doves around the house and I really enjoy them

Peaches is a dollbaby! I've never owned any but have to say we have an abundance of them here in the wild. I love to hear them coo......beautiful, gentle birds.

Yep....used to have doves years ago....(and just about everyother kind of pet) different breeds of doves..really enjoyed them. Liked the photos.
default_smile.png

Shari - you don't need to have an outside aviary for doves, well unless you plan to own and breed a LOT lol! I usually kept one pair, inside in a large 3 level cat condo cage and hung a planter in there with the coconut hair base and they LOVED that as their home and nest! I twisted fake rubber vines and leaves on top of the cage and taught my pair and their babies how to fly out from their cage door up onto the vines as perches. You would never believe how trainable doves are, they have small simple brains but they can learn! I taught mine to stay up on the vines...they were allowed to go for flights around the house as long as they didn't land anywhere else (and poop!) and always came back to land on the vines. They loved it! I also bought those bird diapers with leashes and brought a few outside now and then (usually the silkies because they can't fly) and to the local pet stores. I loved my doves, I sure do miss them to pieces!

ruffian - how cool, I too used to also breed and show indian fantails (I assume you had the regular fantails?), homers, and my favorite were the rare black white-bar german trumpeters =) Those were very hard to track down...and very easy to sell when I got out of them!

I am glad to hear doves are a joy to others! They are such peaceful creatures. Yes the babies are ugly lol...but they turn cute quick! And literally, every one has it's own personality!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here were a few of my indian fantails:

Grizzle_Kite_YH.jpg

DSCN6790.jpg

these were my two that I let free roam, they returned to their cage every night and were let out every morning almost like homers! (please excuse the horse poo!)

DSCN6777.jpg

and here were a couple of my black white-bar german trumpeters:

DSCN6799.jpg

the young ones were born with copper bars that would shed out to white bars:

DSCN6803.jpg

I miss all my birds...I am the "bird lady" of this town lol! Well not anymore but...I sure did like working with them all!

Latest posts

Back