Anyone here a Real Estate Agent?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHoofBeats

Reaction score
It dawned on me...i've always contemplated seeking out becoming a real estate agent for my career but never thought I would be able to, I thought it would be too expensive to start out. But I can't stop thinking about it...it sounds like an awesome job to me, having flexible hours, great pay, you get to meet new people and be social, you get to get out of the house/office to tour home after home (I love to search through homes!).

Is anyone here a real estate agent? How did you get started? What did it cost you? How do you feel about the job?

Hello!

I'm not an agent myself, but I did look into it! I've always liked the idea of buying and selling houses. The first thing I did was contact some real estate agents. There were some VERY nice ones in my town. I would contact one and see if you can find someone to tag along with! That is a very good experience and will give you a better idea if you like this career.

I would love to tag along with one, that is how I learn best is by one on one interactive learning =) I do have a real estate agent I am working with right now trying to find a home, I wonder if maybe she'd be willing to let me learn with her? But first dont I have to be hired? lol...

You Have a PM
default_yes.gif
:

I've known many RE agents and was thinking of becoming one myself one day, too. Know that in some areas, your competition consists of retired/independantly wealthy individuals who are just looking for something to do. They have connections, as well as lots of time and money. You have absolutely got to know your area (so much more than just the layout) as well as have information on surrounding cities. Income is not immediate, so you do have to have enough money to drive around all day showing houses, having luncheons, etc., as well as enough money to eat on and pay your bills with between sales. You've got to be a positive type of person and be able to handle the emotions involved when people are making what is usually the biggest investment of their lives.

I'd suggest you look into working in a RE office to get a feel for what you'd be getting into. Going through school for this is relatively cheap, but the job itself is all about who and what you know, lots of time spent showing homes, researching and schmoozing, image and luck. Don't fool yourself that you get to set your own hours, as you will drop everything on a call that someone wants to go look at so-and-such house again that is all the way across town RIGHT NOW. Don't be fooled by the glamour of it all, including the fancy houses, new cars, jewelry and nice suits many RE agents will flaunt. They will smile big and tell you how great they're doing, how excellent the market is, etc. even though there's little interest in their market, they haven't sold anything in months and they just applied for a loan to buy groceries.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep your day job and start out part time . The market is very bad now and you would not be able to be dependant commission only income in this market. I would wait till the market picks up which could be a year or two. We are in this business and when you are used to a weekly paycheck it is not the same.

Which I am, used to a weekly paycheck that is...a part time start isn't a bad idea, nor is starting out in an office position at a real estate company that's not a bad idea either....something to start, to get to learn and know about the business instead of jumping in 2 feet first to dark waters!

Thanks! :aktion033:

Most of you know I went to school since may to be a realtor
default_smile.png
Now in Ohio you have to attend classes you cannot do classes online so its much more expensive here but I feel that I learned much more then I would have if I had taken them online. Here are my fees to date

Classes including books 1500.00

MLS Fees 100.00 per month (for 2 counties because i live right smack by two)

Board fees 400.00 per year

Cards 100.00

Desk fees to broker average anywhere from 100-800.00 per month.

Web site 12.00 per month

Remax corporate yearly fee 390.00

It is having your own business! You do have fees to pay every month just as if you had your own business.

I have to disagree though with people who keep saying the market is bad. It really isnt especially not in the county I live in. Home sales in licking county are UP over last year and the year before. Especially homes in the 150,000.00 and under range are selling like hotcakes. My office sold 8 homes in the last 12 days.

Being a new realtor is hard. The more people you know in your area the easier it is to get started.

It is not the get rich thing some people think. For example here is what I would make if I brought a buyer for a home. Lets say it sold for 120,000.00. The going rate here (which is always negotiable) is 6 percent.

x 6 percent

Equals $7200.00

Now that gets split with whoever listed the house soooo

7200.00 divided by 2 equals

$3600.00

Now I have to give my broker their share (this percentage varies from 50-100)

3600.00 x 50 percent equals

I probably spent some gas money and most likely bought the buyers lunch at some point so lets just say it cost me 50.00 to find them the right home

1750.00 is what I made.

But I have to say I love it and it is a lot of fun!!

Last edited:
Ditto on everything everyone else said. I had my RE license and worked for a top agent. I realized that as much as I love houses and all that, it wasn't the right career for me, but I'm glad I gave it a whirl. Starting part-time is a great idea and will allow you to get your feet wet. Even if the market isn't great right now where you live (not sure if it is or isn't), it WILL pick up at some point. If you start now, even part-time, then you will be ready when it does pick up and will already have experience over those who will want to jump in just because the market heats up.

You'll never know until you try. If you can keep your day job and learn RE, too, then you'll know whether it's for you.

Good luck, MiniHoofBeats! (And remember..."If you think you can do a thing or think you can't do a thing, you're right."--Henry Ford
default_yes.gif
: )

Back