Anyone have room?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indy's mom

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
default_saludando.gif

As many of you know I helped to rescue 1 of 30 mares that were bought up by a kill buyer at auction back in Dec.

Brought her to my backyard to quarantine her for a month and then planned to move her over to the farm where I keep my other 3 mini's. The mare, whom we named Freedom, turned out to be in foal! Had no clue when she was due, just knew that we could easily feel the foal moving around in there! Decided to keep her in my backyard until she foaled so that I could keep a close eye on her day and night! I missed 2 family weddings and one baby shower, not to mention numerous school field trips with my kids, so that I wouldn't miss the foaling! I've gone above and beyond to make sure this mare and foal would be healthy!

Ok, fast forward to now, GORGEOUS colt is now 6 weeks old. All he does is mount his momma!! Sorry to be graffic but....full erection and dripping when he's done!!!! Eeeek! The mare does absolutely nothing to show him who's boss! She's very laid back and just keeps eating! lol

I can now finally handle him quite easily. I can halter him, brush him all over, pick up his feet etc. Still working on leading.

Anyway, the farm where I keep my others and where these two were supposed to go, is a public farm where people buy produce and garden supplies. They also can visit with the horses.

There is no way I can move them over there with the colt breeding his momma!!! The visitors would be horrified!!! lol

I have asked my vet if she would geld him now but first she said no because of it being fly season. When I called again to beg and tell her of my perdicament she said that what he really needs is a bigger area to run and other foals to beat him up! She feels his mounting is strictly dominance NOT hormonal! (I don't totally agree)

SO, my begging question is this....is there anyone out there (close to Massachusetts) that has any room for me to temporarily "board" these two? Maybe you have a foal or two (or twelve) that could give him a run for his money????

I am looking for a place that has experience with this type of thing!

I can't afford to pay much but certainly can pay for his upkeep! I REALLY would like to be able to keep at least the colt but I also want what is best for him so I would consider other options!
default_sad.png

Thanks a Bunch!

~Tammy

365607308.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't help you as I live in OK, but I just wanted to say WOW!!! What a beautiful mare and foal!!!! I'm sure somebody will help come up with a solution for you.

I have colts that do the same thing, but right now I'm having 'bred' mares breeding my in heat mares. That is even more embarassing as it's going on all day out in the pasture. Worse than my stallions. I don't know what my neighbors are thinking!
default_rolleyes.gif

It is very natural for young colts to mount their dams. I would not be afraid to have the horses where the public can see them, it is all part of nature.

In the fall, I wopuld get the colt gelded. He will not be fertile for at least a year.

Latest posts

Back