Anyone have pics of Silver Sorrels?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallin4minis

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out whether my little guy is Silver Sorrel or Silver Bay. I was so happy to see the

posting of Silver Bay photos but would really appreciate a look at some Silver Sorrels to compare. He is a son of Sweet Revenge (by General Patton ) and Rebel's Gold Card (daughter of Sid's Rebel). He is 8 months old now but during the summer he clipped out kind of dappled gray which was a shock since he looked like a dark palomino before clipping. I don't have a digital camera to post a picture so I'm hoping some of you wouldn't mind posting your photos for me.

Thank you for your time!

Fran

As far as I know, genetically, there are no silver sorrels. The silver gene does not show in sorrel/chestnut colored horses. If your horse has black points (especially black lower legs), it should be silver bay, if not, then I assume it is a sorrel horse with flaxen mane and tail.

I'm afraid that was not much of a help
default_sad.png
Maybe some of the true color experts can help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well perhaps I am wrong but I have always considered my "Abby" as a silver sorrel and her foal is a silver sorrel pinto. I see the silver gene working in their tail and mane hairs.

This gene is unique because it only acts upon black pigment and leaves red pigment unchanged. Or in other words Black and Bay horses will be physically changed by this gene but Chestnut horses will not. Chestnut based horses do not have black areas so the Silver gene has no effect on them. This allows the gene to be carried with no physical evidence.
http://www.equinecolor.com/silver.html
Above is a quote from www.equinecolor.com, a page that I consider generally a very realiable source when it comes to color genetics.

This mare is a sorrel carrying silver. I know this b/c she gave birth to a silver colt by a black stallion. I KNOW that since the silver does affect the black, that it did not come from HIM, and so she has it. She has also given me a silver buckskin by a buckskin (no silver) stallion:

cb6-97.jpg

As a one-month old foal. Unclipped/unshed

cherrypose.jpg

Yearling mare, clipped. Not the best pic, but there is absolutely no smuttiness to this girl's coat that a silver bay would show b/c she is sorrel (sire was sorrel and dam was palomino carrying the silver gene, I'm sure), particularly around the legs.

cherdrive.jpg

Fuzzy mature mare. I have more photos of her fuzzy, but you can see she looks like an average sorrel w/flaxen, so you can't really tell from looking on the sorrels, when they carry silver.

They do have a test for silver, now. Would be cool to test her even though I know.

This is a pic of her third foal by a black stallion. No doubt about the silver:

mouseboringb.jpg

Here is the sire of that above colt, just so you can see, no silver:

gtob1.jpg

Can you post pics of your girl? Also pics of sire and dam would help.
default_smile.png

Liz M.

As said there are geneticSilver Sorrels but not visual ones.

Silver does not show on Red, only Black.

Yes silver does not show on red, I´m glad the new silver test can now help for identification.

The most silver chestnuts (proven by breeding) I have seen so far actually have red mane and tail.

This stallon is proven silver chestnut (pinto) by breeding, he sired silvers out of black mares.

Challenger01.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics- I now believe I do in fact have a Silver Bay! :aktion033: When I got him as a weanling, he was described as silver sorrel but the coloring on his legs and how he looked when I clipped him had me thinking he was silver bay. He definately has the darker silvery underlying color on his legs, (even now that he's fuzzy) along with purely flaxen mane and tail(and 'blonde'eyelashes with the big, dark eyes...such a cutie) Either way, he's a beauty
default_yes.gif
: I'll post pics to share as soon as I can get my hands on a digital camera. Thanks again!

Fran

Latest posts

Back