anyone have older horses?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 22 year old arab who still thinks he is about three. The only things we've noticed as he has gotten older is that he has a little more trouble staying warm in the winter, so he gets a blanket if it is going to be cold, and he really appreciates it! Besides that, he is pretty easy. He is on omelene senior feed and a hoof supplement, and otherwise gets no special attention. If I had the time, I'd still be eventing him, but he is in "retirement" just because I don't have the time and he is my trail horse now.

[SIZE=14pt]Heres my 19 YO mare..... She gets nothing special unless she has a foal on her. They tend to drag her down a bit so she needs extra. She has had a cracked tooth pulled and flaoted but other then that she is out with the herd. She is low man in the pecking order but does fine.[/SIZE]

Char706.JPG

April

Our oldest is 30 this year, and he's generally on the same program as everyone else, except we watch him closely and up his feed anytime we even suspect he's losing weight. This winter he's become good buddies with a coming three year old gelding, the two are inseperable and the old boy is acting like a youngester!

donnertrot.jpg

Found this of him last year this time!

Last edited by a moderator:
:DOH! Call this geriatric acres!! These minis have been with me a long time, for the most part.....and have earned any retirement needs they decide to develop
default_biggrin.png
default_wub.png

Birthdays between now & April '08.......mare 21, 23, 24, 25, stallions 21 & 24. Plus mares 1-18, 2-17.

Those nine are part of a herd of 40. Except for the stallions being fenced by but not in with the mares, these horses are all with the others & in great health. I am like the rest, you watch them closely for teeth, weight, etc. But they eat along with the others....soft hay, pelleted feeds. I do use BP for all mine and have heated tubs for all. Everyone has shelter to use or not as they desire and I'm in a milder climate (coastal VA).

They are all cycling regularly it seems -- even the 25 yr old! Only bred 2 mares last year for '08 foals. The heat & drought was a factor as the mares (young & old) did not cycle &/or erratically. In past few years I have only bred a couple mares each year by choice -- don't need or want to get back to heavy foaling right now.

Uhhhh, I turned "sr" this yr, tooo ....still very healthy, all my teeth, running daily
default_whistling.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back