Anyone feed Nutrena Safechoice??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
I just picked up my first 2 bags and wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with it? Love it? Hate it?

Thanks so much! :saludando:

Krista

I have never fed a food I loved so much. I have been feeding it a couple of months and the results are amazing. I feed less of it then I did omelene or Jr or anything else and the horses look amazing. I am feeding it along with Empower.

My aged T/B who is a very hard keeper is now not only fat actually fat enough to surprise my vet but he is getting half the grain he used ot and I am even cutting back on his beet pulp now as well- my minis look so good I really couldnt be more pleased with a feed.

I've heard a lot of good things about the product, but I think the question is what are you looking for in your feed? The BIG problem that I have with this product is that Nutrena promotes it as a low carb, low starch feed.

The analysis on Safe Choice is 28% NSC (12% sugar, 16% starch), which is not even close to other low carb, low starch diets (for example LMF Lo Carb Complete is 11%). All of my horses have feed that is under 15% NSC.

So yes, I think it's a good product, but no, I do not think it comes even close to qualifying as a low carb, low starch feed. Again, it depends what you are looking for.

Liz R.

We just switched a few of ours over to this grain. They haven't been on it long enough yet to see a difference, but they seem to think it tastes really good :aktion033: I LOVE Nutrena, so I am sure we will be pleased with this grain

Jen

I've heard a lot of good things about the product, but I think the question is what are you looking for in your feed? The BIG problem that I have with this product is that Nutrena promotes it as a low carb, low starch feed.

The analysis on Safe Choice is 28% NSC (12% sugar, 16% starch), which is not even close to other low carb, low starch diets (for example LMF Lo Carb Complete is 11%). All of my horses have feed that is under 15% NSC.

So yes, I think it's a good product, but no, I do not think it comes even close to qualifying as a low carb, low starch feed. Again, it depends what you are looking for.

Liz R.
Well, I wasn't impressed with it, but since I'm trying to watch NSC levels in my feed (I have one that has to have very low carb feed, so all are on the same basic diet for simplicity), it wasn't the one for me.

I feed Progressive Nutrition ProAdvantage grass formula and grass hay (long-stem hay and pellets).

Last edited by a moderator:
It's awesome! I just switched my QH halter horses over to it and they've never looked better. If I still had the minis they would be on it as well.

My mini is on the stuff and I've got mixed feelings about it. On the plus side it did what I wanted and filled in the hollows behind his withers that just weren't going away on straight grass hay and clean oats. He's healthy, shiny, happy, and looks good. On the other hand he'd probably be that way on any complete feed and I'm not fond of the texture of the Safe Choice pellets. They are dusty and crumble easily and smell sort of like licorice. The Nutrena Senior Feed my older Arab is on by contrast is clean and smooth and smells very good, and in general looks more like horse chow than dog chow. But what the heck, the mini grew to like the Safe Choice pretty quickly and he does well on it so why mess with success?

Leia

I've been feeding it for over a year. I really like it. It meets the needs of all the different types of horses I have here. The coats are extremely shiney, healthy looking, the horses have lots of energy, the foals enjoy it.......

I am cutting it back a little now as all of mine are looking "too healthy"
default_rolleyes.gif
: .

It really simplified my feeding. Everyone gets a measured amount of the Safe Choice then alfalfa/grass mixture.

Have used it for over a year now and love it. Not one case of colic, and they all like the taste. Mine are all too fat now, but that's most likely due to the added Beet pulp and B.O.S.S. which we now cut out.

When it gets cold again during Winter we will again increase, but for now just give the Safe Choice and good hay.

Yes we like it, if it's not broken, don't fix it :bgrin

Maxine

Woohoo , thanks everybody, sounds like a winner. Ill be keeping a close eye on how they do on it.

Thanks again.

Hi, we use it and so love it. We have less colic's in our barn. Our horses love it.

Their coats shine, and all seem to do good on it. We have been on it about a year

now. And will continue.

Vicky

Latest posts

Back