Anyone ever get kicked?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coco, the best way to avoid being kicked is to use horse sense. Be careful where you place yourself when working with horses. Like Maryann said, stand close. Stand at their side at the flank. Watch body language, you usually see it coming.

Have I been kicked, oh yeah, I really have never been hurt bad by it however.

I actually have been hurt the worst by foals, LOL! Those little feet can go 90+ miles and hour I swear. It is like being pelted with a machine gun when they get going. My farrier and I have some pretty good laughs over the foals when they decide to do this.

new_shocked.gif

Been kicked? Heck yes, more times than I can count. It goes with the job of being a farrier. When my husband first started shoeing he got kicked right in the chest and had a perfect horseshoe for quite a while. We take as many precautions as we can but you can't figure on stupidity of green horsepeople or outside factors. Trust me, safety is a HUGE issue with us, but it can still happen cause we are dealing with different horses every day. Yes, a mini can break a bone thats why my chestnut gelding is a gelding. I got kicked in the back by a horse that I had been doing for a long time. Believe me she just hauled off and kicked me so fast that there was NO TIME to prevent it. She smashed me up against a telephone pole but I was on my feet and out of the way so fast the owner couldn't believe it. I had to go back and shoe her. If I didn't I probably would never shoe a horse again. When we work around horses we are well aware of the kicking striking range. If you dwell on it all the time though it affects how you deal with the horse. We just do it automatically. Like the old cowboy says you ride without thinking about the fall. Same thing dealing with horses on the ground. Linda B
wub.gif

Too many times to count! I just got kicked in the knee tonight by a 32" foal -HARD . Broke skin and I now have a hoof-shaped bruse. My own stupid fault (it usually is!)

But nothing worth doing is without its risks!

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesnt kick .....i've only seen him kick on purpose one time and that was a poor kitty. He was kicking flys and my 12 week old kitten was behind him. Coco didnt kill his little friend. I clean his feet daily and walk behind him so he is use to it. But im around allot of race horses which are my brothers and freinds mini's.
laugh.gif

I've just noticed lately that when i go to brush him and i tie him to his stall since we dont have a double tie (we are getting one soon enouph). He will get up beside his stall wall and i will try to push him away from the wall and he wont try to kick me but i can feel it coming like reading his mind 'if i kick her ...i get rid of her and her stupid brushes'. lol
wub.gif

I got kicked my my brothers race horse one time actually but i wouldnt really consider it a kick. It just skimmed my thigh. The farier was cleaning a back hoof and he moved in time but i was watching and it got me. It was bad but just stung. I was 14 back then.
rolleyes.gif

I noticed my little Joe kicks my Knick alot. My husband and I were in the pasture and the colts tag along with us often. The other day Joe kicked Knick so hard in the chest it cracked real loud but my Knick who is much larger did not fight back, he never does. I was wondering, will Joe start kicking at me like that. So far he has not. I wonder why my beautiful Knick don't defend himself? Joe is 25" and Knick is close to 30" now and only 3 weeks apart in age. Thank for asking this question and I really enjoyed reading your answers you got from everyone. FLFlyingW

Lets see......first time I was kicked I was about 10 my shetland got a fly up his butt and yanked the lead I fell as his hind feet flew and made contact with my head
rolleyes.gif
knocked me pretty stupid and I had a lovely crescent hoof on my forehead..

years later I got nailed by a shetland/welsh who did not approve of his shots hind foot to back of my calf dang lucky he didn't break my leg that was a heck of a charly horse

the next time it was my stupid self in the wrong place and a peruvian/hackney mare got me instead of the horse she was bickering with...again in the back of the calf
new_shocked.gif

I have been kicked tromped and stomped by mini horses it all feels lousy....I watched a 33 inch mare kick a vet between the eyes and knock him out cold
new_shocked.gif

yep they can definately hurt you

One of the mares got me this past spring; my own fault--this mare is very protective of her foals and will charge & kick anyone that approaches her new baby. Usually we leave her alone for the first week or so, but this year we were catching her & handling the foal, changing her blankets & such. The one night, after dark, the mare was eating hay & I walked up & was petting the foal, and that was okay. The next night, same situation, I was squatted down petting the foal, a little distance from the mare, and all of a sudden she charged me. I was feeling too complacent after she'd tolerated me the previous night, and wasn't in position to get out of the way fast. I hauled off & belted her one on the nose to stop her charge--that worked, but then she turned & let fly with both hind feet. She nailed me in the lower part of the ribs. Fortunately she took the foal & left, rather than take another kick at me.

That kick did not sting, it HURT. It felt like my whole ribcage had been caved in, and it left me on the ground gasping for breath. I was sure at first she must have cracked some ribs, but no, I was 'only' bruised. I realized afterward that the night before I'd been dressed in dark clothing--my usual dark colored sweatshirt & pants, so she likely didn't pay much attention to my being near the foal. On this night when she kicked me, I was wearing a bright white T-shirt--not my usual barn attire, and I guess it made me more obvious.

YES

I got kicked in the crotch by Peanut one time. I thought I would die. The world went black. He was simply feeling himself. It was the bone that he connected with and lets just say thank GOD I am not a guy!

I have been kicked in the head by a foal, that didn't feel to good!

Kicked in the shin by a stud, although the story behind that one is great. This stud and I have NEVER liked each other openly, but we do love each other. Well I was mucking his stall and petting him. I said your not so bad, and not a split second later, he kicked me!

I have also been knocked in the jaw so hard it popped out of place by a shetland pony. THAT ONE HURT!

The riskiest situation to be in is putting yourself between horses. I've had a few kick my direction, both large and small, but the only one that has really connected was a mini mare kicking at another mare...just happened to connect with my kneecap. And yes, it sure hurt! I also got nailed between horses when feeding. Bent over to grab a flake of hay just as one mare ran at another. The intended victim swung her head away and connected with my head just over my eye, full force. Just about knocked me out, and gave me a memorable shiner LOL.

I have had foals kick out and catch me, they are quick but I've escaped that without much damage.
smile.gif

Jan

Co' just about got dad in the crotch today. It was right after i got done giving coco a bath and turned him loose out in the pasture. For some reason after a bath he goes insane and actually walking him to the pasture is hard enouph. Dad was walking through the pasture from the horse barn to the cow barn (pasture between them) and coco came running infront of coco and almost got dad w/ both feet right where his manhood is. Im pretty sure coco is out to get my dad this week.

i got kicked by a horse once.... he was gunna kicck me no matter what cause he was hungry. and it was right below the kneecap and it gave methe nasties bruise and knocked me down when he did it.he is famous round the ranch for kicking people. a freind, nother freind, and a five year old to name a few.

I've been kicked by stallions a few times, mistaken identity and me being in the wrong place (mostly my fault!).

But the worst kick I got was from a weanling colt. He got me right in the mouth w/his back hoof while I was clipping his lower leg.

I stuck my tonge there to feel what had happened and it went right through my lower lip and then the blood just poured.

I had 7 stitches and luckily little other damage. It hurt pretty good and it WAS like OMG, get me to the Emergency Room! *LOL*

The kicks in the leg from the stallions were not that bad, though...nothing like getting kicked in the face!

Liz M.

Annette has an excellent point.....watch their body language and stand to their flank. She also mentions -- it's the FOALS that you need to watch!

Yep, it's the foals with those tiny sharp hooves that can do it to you. Probably because your guard is down and you're all feeling "huggy kissy" and then....WHAM.

Frankly, I've rarely been kicked. It's the BITES to worry about.....(Should we start another thread????)
laugh.gif

MA

It is a common misconception that a mini cant hurt you. TO be honest I have seen more ill mannered minis then I have large horses and I think for this very reason. Many think it is cute and dont see the danger till it is to late.

My horses are treated as if they were 18 hands.. i wouldnt allow a large horse to walk ahead of me, drag me , not stand still, bite or nip or kick or anything else so I sure dont allow it in my minis. To be honest... I would prefer to work with a bad large horse then a bad mini. A large horse is much easier to stay out of there way usually by staying very close to them so you can get the job done and not get hurt a mini tends to rear much more as a general statement and then get in some lippazan moves. they are much harder to predict in kicking biting rearing movement then a large horse. and yes those foals can leave you bruised and battered
smile.gif

all of that said. I have been riding horses since I was 2 had my first pony at 5 and never not worked on a farm or at a riding stable or owned my own horses so 38 years and I have been kicked, bit, struck fallen off(wont say thrown they didnt throw me except maybe thrown off guard. I fell off for not being ready)
rolleyes.gif

I have seen many "freak" accidents and injuries and lots of illnesses I am in a odd way very grateful for all of it as every bump and bruise and heartbreak has taught me alot and.. with each day I know i have so much more to learn.
yes.gif

Last edited:
I just now read this thread and have to say it's shocking to me, a real eye opener. I've been around horses most of my life, which is alot of yrs, big horses until recent yrs, little horses, I've never been kicked, I've never been thrown while riding, never fell off. I've been bite a few times by these little mini babies when they caught me off gaurd but I'm just amazed as to how many people have been kicked!

I have been kicked by big and small.

One time a big horse yearling colt kicked me right in the chest area! Never saw it coming!
sad.gif
I thought it was going to fall off!
wacko.gif
I also thought I was going to die!
sad.gif
Left a big back and blue mark!
crybaby.gif

Then with these minis I have been kicked in the shins and thats not a good feeling and then my yearling I am training reared up and hoofed me in my breast bone. Now that hurt!

But no matter where or how you get kicked...yep... its hurts!!!
yes.gif

Joyce

I have been kicked to many times, I can't count on my fingers! It really depends how hard they hit you.. I am sure they don't hurt as much as a big horse, but I would be lying if I said it didnt hurt at all! I have gotten black and blue bruises, and once I got kicked in the gut, and boy did it HURT to go to school
thumbdown.gif
)

But, I just wouldn't worry about it, because horses can sense fear. And if your scared, it gives them a reason to be too!
yes.gif

Got kicked by a horse when I was 14. I was sitting on my pony and the mare my sister was riding had her buttocks near to my horses head. She kicked and hit me with the FULL force of her kick. She got me right in the knee. My knee was so swollen my pants had to be cut off. I went to the hospital, we were relieved it was not broken BUT I was on crutches for some time. We thought all was well. I still have arthritis in that knee and it is painful in damp weather.

I never liked that mare anyway!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been trampled, kicked, bitten etc other times but it only amounted to pain and bruises!

I have seen the damage caused by a woman who was kicked in the face by a horse, it was horrendous. I am always aware of what a horse could do, I think it is a good idea never to forget this!

I hope you never experience it!

I've not been kicked by a mini--mostly cause they either knew better or I stepped out of the 'danger' zone....wait, foals, yes I have. But they don't know better when they're real little anyway.

But big horses...Ref's mother, Mazda, kicked me in the thigh when I was younger(8-10?)--my fault too. We were out in the pasture and the herd took off and she was bucking and kicking all over the place. Ref's turned her butt to me and crow hopped(when I'm mad at her over something or other in the pasture), but never connected....well out of range of ME, she knows better than that.

Now, you want to say scary? I was driving the new tandem and Fascination, in front, must've been asleep or something. We were in the middle of driving past a sign on the ground(you know, a road sign that wasn't on a post or something similiar), when she all of a sudden SAW it(it was already by her flank). She jumped off the ground with all fours and FIRED with the hind foot closest--she was going to kill that horse eating thing. If that hoof had connected with poor Elvis' head(the wheeler, and her hoof was that high!), I think I wouldn't have a horse to put in the wheel anymore! Soon as the monster was dead, she kept right on trotting, quiet and normal. Elvis never saw it--he was ALL confused over what she was fussing about. That was pretty scary; she put a LOT of force into that kick.
new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I was kicked by a filly who was protecting her feed from another horse. Before I could get away she had kicked my twice but she was after the other horse. I just happened to be too close when she let fly. I hobbled away and she kicked at me again. This time my husband whooped her on the behind and she has never offered to kicked either of us again.

I have been kicked by my husband's horse twice and it was a sideways kick not from the back. They hurt but nothing was broken.

The only bone that has been broken by a horse is my ankle. We were trimming hooves and the the mare(who had been abused previously) kicked sideways and caught my ankle just right and broke it. That one really hurt.

Latest posts

Back