Anyone else get an email from Martha Hickham

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karin - NaKar Miniatures

Reaction score
I just received an email from Martha Hickham concerning a letter written by Ed Sisk. I can't seem to copy it so that I can post it here.

"This letter was sent to me, with the request that it be passed on to as many concerned AMHA members as possible. After reading this letter, should you feel it necessary to pass it on to other members, please do so.

Thanks,

Martha Hickham

El Rancho Loco "

Did anyone else get this email? Maybe someone with more computer knowledge than me can post it.

I got it. It appears to be a fax image and you have to have a fax print capability.
default_smile.png

I got it a while back....I just tested copy & paste, and it worked.

Should I post it here?

Sue

edited to add: It's one thing to get it in a e-mail and be told to send it to everyone, it's another to post it on a public board. Don't want to ruffle any feathers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if the letter is supposed to be passed on to as many AMHA members as possible I don't see why it can't be pasted here. Have at it. There are enough "feathers" flying around as it is. A few more won't hurt!
default_laugh.png

If it isn't "appropriate" we can always remove it......

This is the letter I received:

Dear AMHA Members,

It is sad that we have to start a common letter of interest with a disclosure but here we go. The following statement and thoughts are strictly my opinion and as I see things that are happening in the AMHA today.

As many of you know, I am a big advocate on measuring our horses correctly. Our existence in the equine world is based on being known as a breed of horse that measures 34" and under. If you read our rule book and the articles of incorporation, it is plain to see that the forefathers of this association declared that an AMERICAN MINIATURE HORSE is 34" and under. This is what sets us apart from other registries and helps produce a market for legitimate Miniature Horses. It also helps to ensure higher prices when it come to supply and demand. We all know that a smaller supply creates a larger demand and that is what forces a thriving market. Our official rule book outlines very clearly the procedure on how each horse is to be measured. It is not rocket science nor is it brain surgery. It is called common sense, integrity and most of all, morality.

If you were at the 2007 world show, you had the chance to witness the rape and pillage of AMHA rules and the total disrespect of our association and its honest members. Measuring, not only at this world show, and many before it has gone totally to a criminal level. I, myself protested three horses that I new were in violation of the measuring rule. Two of the horses were entered in the 32" and under class and I knew that they both were past champions in the 32"- 34" class in previous years. One of the horses is listed at 33" on his permanent papers which you can view on the AMHA stud book When they were remeasured by the protest committee, one was 33 1/2" and the other was 33 3/4" and I repeat, they were both entered and measured in the 32 and under class.

. Lets now stop and look at where the problem is. Everyone’s first thoughts are that it is the handler that is cheating the horses into the wrong class, darn them trainers. Well, that is part of the equation, but it is not the most important one. This falls back on our, and I stress the point OUR association. It starts with the leadership, the management and the person doing the measuring. They are allowing this to go on. It all boils down to money and numbers! The more illegitimate horses that show, the more money the association makes. The bigger number of horses that show, keeps us in the contest with the AMHR. What our leadership is not looking at is, by letting these oversize horses illegally compete at our World Show, we are ticking off our legitimate breeder / exhibitor and they are not coming back until this issue is solved. We can look back over the past years and count the number of oversized horses that are representing our breed as champions. They are imposters, They should never have had the honor to show at the World show. By allowing these horses to show, they just cheated a legitimate horse and his owner, out of maybe one of the greatest moments in their horse experience. It is criminal, immoral and bratizes the integrity of OUR AMHA! If the person in charge of measuring our horses at the World show is off by 1 3/4", then that person has no right to measure at all. A blind person could get closer than that. I do not know if this person was instructed to be lenient and not to measure any horse out or if she thinks she is doing everyone a favor by letting them all show. This method is totally destructive to the future of our association and it has to stop!

It is up to us, as members to insist that the measuring of our horses be done by the book and that it doesn’t matter who you are, we will all be treated equal. As it is right now, there are some of our board members that are the biggest violators. They are using their high position to get favors, I think that is illegal. If not, it should be. They are suppose to lead by example. They are to be the ones that we respect for their knowledge and praise for donating their time to make a better AMHA for all of us. I’m not sure how they sleep at night, but it is hard to force someone to have a conscience. Its hard to swallow knowing that a person holding a board position can be a deciding factor in suspending a member for breaking a rule when the board member is just as guilty. Go figure that one out! We need leaders that are held to a higher standard and can be counted on to do the right thing. We have board members that are measuring horses for hardship registration that are either blind or corrupt. They should be held accountable for their actions along with others. It is time to stop hardship in the AMHA. Our supply is now greater than the demand and we know what that does to our market.

Here is another example, I protested a horse that I knew was over 34". I followed the protest procedure and posted my $50.00. The owner and his horse were instructed to appear for measuring by the protest committee. The owner had gotten wind earlier that his horse was going to be protested and told the protest committee that the horse had mysteriously become ill and it was no longer on the grounds and it had been taken home. It is of my knowledge, that the horse never left the grounds other than to be put in a trailer in the camp grounds. Shame on them and shame on the management for not checking to see if the horse truly was sick. What should have happened is that if the horse was not presented for measuring, his papers should have been revoked until he was measured..He wasn’t sick when they measured him at 34" the day before. Again, the system has been cheated and our leadership has allowed it to happen. NEWS FLASH!!!! There was another so called high profile controversial horse that the owner and trainer left unmeasured standing in the stall. I wonder why? Does the word guilty sound familiar. If the shoe fits, wear it.

In the near future you will be hearing about a group of people that are trying to overturn a new rule that has already been voted on and passed by the membership. The new rule states that a horse may be protested at any time up to 2 hours after the show. Our management states that this rule will cause havoc with the show and that it may be abused just to avenge rather than to make things right. I say to our leadership, If you measure our horses correctly the first time, then you will have no problem. The problem is we are not doing it right and that is causing the problem. This new rule is designed to get people to put their horses in the right class and if they are to big, then they should leave them home. The board is going to try and overturn this rule. I have bad news for them, they set a presidence with the futurity committee when they wanted to enhance the futurity with some good ideas. Our legal council advised that what ever the membership has voted for is how it has to be. This rule went through all of the correct channels, it was voted on, passed and now will come into effect on Jan 1 of 08. A large number of people that are against this rule are the violators, there again, go figure.

We should all be for the betterment of our association and it is time to put the violators on notice. As of Jan 1 /08, every show manager should be held liable to measure the horses correctly. They should be held accountable along with our leadership and management. Please help to put us back on a constructive track to better our association. Before long, none of us will be proud of the outcome if we don’t act soon.

Yours respectively

Ed Sisk

AMHA Member 23 years

edited to add the part at the top saying I received this letter.

This is something i've been saying for a while now. The measures and the registry in general should be held accountable legally not just a slap on the wrist. I read the mishap about the horse at Worlds. I dont' know which way to go since i don't know the horse BUT obviously that horse had been shown all year to qualify at worlds. He was measured.

Now i'm not really a sue happy person but sometimes a law suit will go a long ways! Quite frankly if the registry and each individual measurer was sued for malpractice when horses are measured wrong i think you'd see the registries changed and the registry imposing large fines for those found not measuring correctly. Right now there is no real consequences for those that do not measure correctly.... and i believe it's a trick down right from the top echelons of the registries.

Now weather the trainers are trying to sneak horses in or not I do not know, BUT when a horse has been hardshipped into the AMHA/AMHR it is measured by an OFFICIAL. When the horse has been shown for a year or more and was measured before each show.. that was measured by an OFFICIAL. that official should be held responsible if it's found that horse is over later on down the line, as well as each measurer that said "yep that horse is under". to ME that is blatant malpractice..no matter WHY they are doing it (favors or whatnot).

People obviously aren't fed up enough because as far as i know nothing has been done LEGALLY to try to get this problem changed.

I agree that a horse over 34"should not have it's papers. When we hardshipped our mare and had her measured As we were on our way to my house from the show grounds the person doing the measuring inspection said to me "Now she isn't a glorified 34" is she?" I told him no she was dead on 34" not over at all. He was very diligent in the measuring. At that show which was a Regional show, I saw some of the measuring. Someone was trying to get their horse into a smaller class than the horse actually was. The horse was 1/4" over. They would take the horse away and I guess take as much as they could off the feet. But at the end of it all the horse was over and not allowed to show in the smaller class. I was impressed by the honesty of the person doing the measuring. Now mind you, I did not watch all of the measuring. I don't know for a fact a friend wasn't let through. But, I don't think so. I do believe what was mentioned in the letter does happen and it shouldn't.

As someone who has seen this happening for YEARS now at Nationals and otherwise, and getting worse and worse(meaning that taller and taller horses were being allowed to show, and 'official' measurements being further and further off-meaning shorter and shorter--my supreme disgust was a BIG reason why I quit going to Nationals---I have to say GLORY HALLELUJAH!!!!!

Margo

WITHERS??????????????????? Has anyone ever heard of those??? WAY LESS SUBJECTIVE.

A possible solution to the measuring problem might be to have an outside company do the measuring.Their officials would have to be trained how Miniatures are measured. Have the owner or trainer bring the horse to an official, hand it off and be measured by the designated measuring official and photo or video recorded, record the measurement and return horse to owmer or trainer.owner or trainer must not be present.sort of like going in the voting booth alone.Just a thought-maybe somebody can come up with something better.

Well, if these Miniature "Horses" were measured like HORSES (at the withers)...
default_rolleyes.gif

I'd like to know HOW the AMHA is going to hold people accountable? What about subjective things such as a bit of mane clipped too far up, a bit of hoof left on, the horse standing this way or that? What about horses who are measured into a smaller class? Can anyone actually see this going to court?
default_wacko.png

Regarding that certain high profile stallion, considering the circumstances surrounding that horse being measured, I believe it to be quite brash to simply say, "Guilty," especially when the horse has measured in previously.

i agree rob.. measuring at the withers would be a good start..BUT no matter where they measure i still think if they aren't held responsible (and something that will HURT not just some public upset) for their measurements. why SHOULDN'T they take favors and stuff?? it's just a LITTLE unethical.... why not nothing is going to happen to them and they will get lucky in some way! I truly think the registries actually in alot of ways condone this by never taking steps to make it very wrong for a measurer to measure incorrectly (heck for all i know the registries tell them to measure incorrectly..don't know).

honestly YES i could see it going to court and i think there could be a legitimate excuse of malpractice (though i'm certainly not a lawyer). if enough people were upset and pushed the matter. Look at all the other memberships of registries that have changed things in their registry by sueing them or standing up somehow and making it change. It's also not about the minor differnces that sometimes occur. many of these measurements are WAY off not just little.

Granted there IS a bit of subjectiveness the way we measure using the mane. that's why i think it should be changed but even if it's not it would be OBVIOUS with 1.5" differnce in the horses normal measuring. I'm sorry but that's hard to achieve without major shaving or hoof trimming and then i think it's almost impossible. I'm sorry but i can usually tell where a horses mane has been clipped off too unless it's just litterally the last few hairs...

they should be keeping track of measurement cards when situations like this come up. If a horse has been measuring either all over the board.. or consistently at one spot then changes.. warning bells should go off. why else do they bother having measurement cards if they don't keep them on file? a horse that showed last year at 34" shouldn't jump down to 32.

My personal opinion is it is not soley (sp) on the shoulders of the Registries and the Measurers. Measuring is so subjective. How about the OWNERS taking a little responsibility when the horse has shown in a certain height group ALL year, is even on the Honor Roll in that height group.....and them magically shrinks an inch at Nationals/World and measures into a smaller height? How about doing the RIGHT thing and leaving the horse where it belongs....in the taller height class?

Just a thought.

Sue
default_smile.png

I agree but.. throwing out here as a devils advocate.. why NOT show another division..?? as it stands now the registry allows it and never questions it.... so why not? All parties should be held accountable but i don't see how things are ever going to clean up if the registry itself doens't take steps to clean up it's measurers and question measurements that change drastically.

to me yes i know some horses are right on the boarder and could go either way for certain heights..but we are talking about obviously large changes in heights not just a 1/2-1/4 of an inch. I do NOT think measuring is all that subjective...

Bravo ED!!!

Since now the measuring is being videotaped and stretching is being called, I noticed a "new" phenomenon. I saw numerous horses being measured while at the World that were with their front legs spred so wide that it was a wonder they could stand. It doesn't show on camera, but I guarantee that a person would NEVER set up the horse in the ring like that. One I saw had almost eighteen inches between his front legs, and it WASN'T because of a big broad chest! It was because a cheater was at the lead.

well they are only able to cheat in that circumstance BECAUSE someone along the line has allowed it. why didn't the measurer ask them to please stand their horse up correctly? the measurer i'm SURE could probably see that if everyone else did. basically it's allowed and almost encouraged to find new ways to make horses smaller or larger (depending on the circumstances apparently).

Well that sounds blatantly wrong, Tony. Did you file a protest?

The only thing I take issue with is this statement

This is what sets us apart from other registries and helps produce a market for legitimate Miniature Horses.
I respectfully say that all my Miniature Horses are legitimate wether they be 34 and under or 34-38.

But I have to say this problem was a big reason why I stopped being an AMHA member and will no longer buy AMHA only horses. You simply cannot have a registry that says anything over 34" is not a TRUE Miniature Horse and then name National Champions that are clearly over 34"

Measuring is a huge problem with both registries. I just dont think it will ever be solved

I have seen measurements way off several times. I've always wondered what qualifications do the measurers have and if remeasured and found out to be wrong who is held accountable? The second or third show I went to (I wasn't showing yet), I was asked to watch the person measuring to make sure he did it correctly. How could I correct when I didn't know a thing about measuring rules? Do you think that is why I was asked?

One of my friends was in a show this year and she has pictures of a horse that was clearly 2" taller than her horses who fell within the measurement requirements.

I believe that this is a huge problem and hurts the integrity of our associations.

I got this letter via email as well........and while I don't show AMHA I've always wondering (or thought it quite silly) for you to have a protest a horse BEFORE it enters the ring.

Are you suppose to go protroll around and see if you see horses that are tall, or what?

AMHR pretty sure you have to have a horse IN the class to protest, makes sense right? You see the horse, out with other horses (some of which you may "personally" know the height of) see one that towers over, bingo if you want, file a protest.

But AMHA you have to protest before it ever sets foot into the public eye
default_wacko.png

Latest posts

Back