Anybody ELSE have this happen?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sue_C.

Reaction score
So Okay...I expected to have an "oversize" foal now and then, so I double registered both the sire and dam with AMHR just to "hedge my bets" so to speak. But holy smokes...this gelding takes the cake...he has NOW outgrown his AMHR papers as a five year old.
default_new_shocked.gif
to make it stranger; all of his full siblings have remained under 33".
default_wacko.png
default_wacko.png

This guy has legs up to his ears, and looks more like a morgan/warmblood cross than any mini. How sad though, as nice as he is, he is now "just a cheap pony", and I cannot compete with him. That is such a shame...as last year, in his first year in harness, he did very well for himself.
default_wub.png
default_sad.png

Long Shots Texas Tornado

029.jpg

IMG_2198-1.jpg

I don't *think* I've had any foals go over 38" *YIKES*, but I've certainly had a few go over 34". But, like you, they are all double registered so there is a place for them. Breeding for horses that are 34" and under, it can be really frustrating when some of them just keep growing!

The yearling I purchased this year grew like a weed the first 6 months . Hopefully she will stop now. All siblings , mother and father are all under 33, and she is well over ...outgrew her AMHA status real quick
default_no.gif
I am glad we have some room to grow in the next height group of AMHR.

He can get ASPR papers since he has a registered AMHR parent. He would also look fantastic in ADS!! That is a lovely horse! I had one colt go over 40"--mom is 36", dad was 31". Showed to lots of wins as a yearling, got to Nationals and he measured out. Never did get to show AMHR again, but his family shows him in 4H.

Sue, I've never had that happen...but wanted to chime in and say what beautiful boy he is! He'd make an awesome CDE horse. I really love the biggies. 35 and up is right up my alley for driving. Don't get me wrong I love the little guys too...my Junior is 32.5 and I love this little boy....but thank goodness for the 35 and over too!
default_yes.gif

It hasn't happened to me but it has happened to my friend. She went through the lineage like crazy and still couldn't find a throwback anywhere near that tall. She finally did a DNA test of one of the grandparents she also happened to own and low and behold there was a problem. UGH!

Sue, that is not a cheap pony.....that is a gorgeous looking boy you have there!

He appears to be a VERY handsome fellow! I'd LOVE to have one like him---but that said, it should be remembered that for competition as a VSE in ADS CDEs, he would be measured AT THE TOP OF THE WITHERS, and that measurement must not exceed 99 cm. One cm=2.54", and the 'official' VSE height limit for ADS is 99 cm(at the top of the withers), which is basically, 39"(2.54 x 39=99.06). If he measured over that, he'd have to compete as a Small Pony, and would be required to carry a groom/navigator on board during all phases of the competition. Because of this, many people want to ensure that a horse will measure a solid 39" or less, to stay a VSE(who can compete as a single W/O the extra weight of a groom/navigator), or, go on up to a larger pony, of, say, 11.2-12.2 hands, because it is a lot to ask of a 10 hands-or-so pony to pull two people through all the elements of a CDE.

Margo

I have. Bought a AMHA only filly, put her in AMHR just in case- she she went over 38"! Sold as a pet. We had another horse get so close to 38" we sold him, too. People knew he was close and still wanted him.

Both horses were from the same farm, too. Bought as weanlings and didn't have a height guarantee. Oh, well- live and learn!

Lucy

edited to add: your boy is GORGEOUS! He can come live with me. There's more to live than arena showing!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, another reason to do CDE AND raise Pintos. I think once they are a Pinto (PtHA registered) they can just move up to B minis or ponies. Never tried it, but I think it would work. And if they lose their color by going gray, they are still considered colored pintos.

Thanks so much for the compliments. I have watched him grow all these years with excitement, hoping that he would be tall...I just didn't want him THIS tall.
default_sad.png

The problem is, we don't have any CDEs here, really. There have been two beginner/trial combined driving shows in the past two years...so they are coming. But it is hardly worth keeping him for one show a year, when I have three other mini-miniatures to drive and show.

Hmmm, I had better measure him at the withers then...he might be over VSE size, although if he is 38.50, his withers are not over two inches higher, as his mane ends high on his withers. I would hope so...it would be hard for him to take two people in all portions of a CDE. Darn...why didn't they "measure in" VSE's as 40 inches.
default_rolleyes.gif

Too bad some of you aren't closer...you could take him home with you.
default_wink.png

For the first time, we have a 2009 colt that will probably reach.........or go over 38 inches!! He is out of under 34 inch sire and dam.....AMHA/AMHR. This colt's cannon bones measure 9 inches! He's perfect in every way with a nice head, long neck, straight legs, and good bite! I'm just sad to think he may even outgrow his AMHR papers. I affectionately call him "Pony Boy" or "Spiderman."

By the way, your boy is gorgeous!

Pam C.

From my original breeding pair I got a 33" mare ,another 33"mare, a 41" mare, a 30" stallion and a 33" mare. I have bred several times from the 33" mares which I still have and none have gone over 35".The problem many times is that the very old papers were not always true regarding size or colors or even ancestors.Nice looking horse.I am sure somebody will appreciate his good looks.

Latest posts

Back