Anybody else have a CLIMBER?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
Trystan LOVES to climb piles of stuff. Loose he jumped into a 4 FOOT high pile of brush. Yesterday he tried to climb the sawdust pile 6' HIGH in the middle of my barn. What a GOOF!

Whitney, I have several. We have a seperate sawdust bin and its getting a gate. If my weanlings are up in the yard they are all over it. What really ticks me off is that they like to climb to the top of the sawdust and poop. I commend their "hygiene" but it really stinks after I've picked all my stalls to have to pick out the sawdust going in.

I thought I'd beat them at their game and I tarped the sawdust (really it was to keep it dry during the rains), but the little snots still climbed it and pooped all over the tarp. They stay in their paddock now.

One dangerous thing that happened was, my husband built a plywood divider for the trailer. This past summer we picked up horses and hay in Indiana and this divider was to keep the horses and the hay seperate. When we took it out of the trailer I didn't even think about it, we just propped it up against the fence temporarily. It became a ramp. About the time I realized what they were doing, it was too late, one went thru. She wasn't hurt, but it was still scary. It didn't deter her any. She will still climb anything she can.

At times i think a few of mine are part goat...kidding of course, but ive had a few climbers...

Gelding i use to have would climb and stand on everything he possibly could in his stall, he would stand on his door (there was a little ledge on the bottom that he could get his hooves on just enough to put him up about 12 inches).

Then, there is Twister who about two weeks ago figured out how to climb up the roundpen...was up to about the 4th bar or so until i noticed and went over and (gently) pushed him off before he slipped.

Narko is a climber too, he will stand on anything you put infront of him..he is really funny..

I have a climber...only he doesn't climb piles...he climbs CATTLE PANELLING! AGGHHHHHH!!!! He ended up with another stallion and his mares one summer and I could not figure out how he did it. Then one day I caught him in the act. He CLIMBED it. Craziest thing I have ever seen. And of course I didn't want the little booger to get hurt so he has special fencing now
default_rolleyes.gif

[SIZE=10pt] I have a filly that gets into, onto and goes through EVERYTHING!!! There is a pile of lumber and tin in the yatd. I let them out in the yard to eat and she will be in the big middle of it. Then I had a box van that I keep hay in ... I left the door open and within 2 minutes she was IN it helping herself.... now she has gotten to where she will ealk through my barb wire every chance she gets.. She landed herself into horsey prison tonight in the yard and electric fence.[/SIZE]

April

I have a filly who not only climbs fences, she CRAWLS under them! She was seen belly crawling to get under the fence so she could go graze. She can't be kept in cattle panels (she climbs them), nor can she be kept in regular panels (she crawls under them). So I had to send her back to our family farm, which is fenced in 4 foot predator fence (welded wire horse fence). So far so good, no climbing on that fence! Which is good, because we had two barbed wire lines run above it, as we've had issues with dogs getting into our pastures before. The combination seems to have worked, our only issues now is people climbing over the fence to cut across our pasture. We've even had the kids next door cut part of it. And those two days someone opened our gates (once letting the mares out almost onto the road, and the other letting the colts in with the girls... oh JOY! 2 possible fall births).

This is my little climber Gracie. We were unloading hay when I noticed her sneaking it. She was quite disappointed when I put boards up so she couldn't have free choice hay. I've also caught her climbing her stall gate.

Carol

344570088.jpg

Latest posts

Back