Any of you have or breed Papillon dogs

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narrow Way Farm

Reaction score
I am looking to get more information on the dog breed Papillon... Any of you have them or breed them? How are their temperments? Are they good with kids, do they shed alot? Do they have any kind of breed specific problems? Do they have a hard time delivering when bred? Pics are always great too.. Thanks so much.

Try www.pixiedustpapillions.com

Good luck in your search!
default_wub.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]Lois here known as Mountain waif breeds them here in Virginia.[/SIZE]

Lyn

The only thing I can say about the breed is from pet sitting experience.

One lady that I pet sit for has Papillons and the first time I sat for them they seemed a bit shy at first but didn’t take to long to warm up to me. They seemed like sweet little dogs. Didn’t like going out and getting their feet wet that I remembered, their was 4 of them and it was hard to get them all outside at once.

They didn’t seem to be a very yappy breed either, at least hers didn’t. The same lady also has 2 shepherd type dogs can’t remember what they are called started with an m. also 1 miniature poodle and a Borzoi, so the Papillons must get along with other dogs. Again this is only from my pet sitting experience.

All in all I think they are sweet.

[SIZE=18pt]Thanks so much for the info...[/SIZE]

lyn, I have tried to email mountain_waif and she must be really busy, haven't heard back from here, unless I am in her junk mail,but I had remembered that she had them from awhile back

Thanks to everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
My business partners have 2 Papillons - they are the sweetest dogs in the world! Very good tempered, good natured and GREAT with kids! They do have a lot of energy, but are very smart and learn quickly. Wonderful breed!

Liz R.

One of my clients has Papillons - www.paradisewing.com

They are very neat dogs, very intelligent.

My neighbors used to own a papillion (she moved to alaska). Zoey was just the sweetest little dog! Never snipped or growled. And boy was she just the cutest! GREAT with kids! If I ever get a little dog, I will definetly get a papillion.

:aktion033: I live with a pap. He's very nice. Gets along well with the ct and the basset and all the kids around here from toddler to 13 years. He's not adv. though because he was a rescue. Or rather he was a tip on a pizza delivery. We'll most likly ge another later.

I have a male papillon, about 1-1/2 years old. Never thought I would enjoy little dogs, having had big dogs all my life, but this guy certainly changed my mind in a hurry. He is just precious and I can't imagine not having him around. He goes to the AMHA horse shows with us and is a big social "butterfly", literally. He loves everybody and life in general. He can be kind of wimpy at times and could never be called aggressive, but he does think he is a big boy guard dog when in the house or truck (read that as: barks a lot). I haven't noticed any significant shedding -- no where near what my 12 cats can put out as far as fur --but then he isn't as full coated as a lot of the paps you see in photos. He is smart for sure, probably too smart and leads us on a merry chase whenever he makes up his mind to do things his own way. Fetching is his special talent as is playing with the cats, especially his one special kitten he grew up with. Since we take him with us frequently on clipping/photo appointments and to the horse shows, we were able to see which dogs he liked to play with. His favorite, for reasons known only to Bijoux, was min-pins. It just so happens my very good friends are min-pin breeders who were kind enough to present Bijoux (and me) with one of their pet quality puppies. Bijoux and Fancy Anne are now great friends, though I think sometimes he feels like a hen-pecked husband (without the perks of marriage as both dogs are fixed!
default_wink.png
: ). Life would certainly be a lot more boring without these little critters around, and had the min-pin not come into my life, I would not have hesitated to get another Papillon.

Good luck and I hope you find that special dog!

Robin C

I am looking to get one for my daughter, she is 25, just bought a house in New York if any one has suggestions as where to look.

Papers not important, will look at any. Thanks

Frankie... try www.pixeidustpapillions.com

A known background should be important to you, as should health testing. You may not want a "show" dog, but even a kennel that breeds for them will have pet puppies more often than not. There are just so many things that the parent stock should be tested for that could be passed on to the pups and become devastating problems for the new owners. Of course there is always rescue and www.petfinder.com just might have what you're looking for...

Latest posts

Back