Any fellow Sheltie owners out there? :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKC

Reaction score
A little while ago I posted about Boston Terriers. After spending a lot of time with my brothers Boston.... I think we will have to rethink that plan. My children are young my oldest son(3 1/2) is scared of her size and energy level. She's very sweet, but she was in their face a lot which is not something my oldest son is fond of. Right now is not the right time for a small dog. I did like that she would come to every person that was around her to see if they were ok. I think I will get my Boston fix when I can see her which is pretty often.
default_smile.png

We do have a Sheltie that we all love. She is so good with our kids. She's going to be 9 this year. Abby is such a good girl. We've thought of getting another Sheltie.. not sure if we are ready for a puppy right yet. Even thought of getting a young adult. Really want a blue merle. We will see. Abby was not happy with the Boston. She was just too much energy for her. Shelties seem like the best fit for our family.

Just thought it would be fun to see who else has a Sheltie.

Kim

When I was showing obedience with my Yorkie alot of our competition was shelties. They are also on my short list for a barn dog. Blue Merle or Tri for me.

If you get a blue merle sheltie, we'll have to get pictures of your dog with my Kelsey (blue merle collie)
default_wub.png
That would be so cute
default_biggrin.png

I don't have one, but I grew up hearing stories of my mother's Sheltie. Seems he was quite the family dog- to the point of sleeping under my sister's crib when she was a baby. He was gone by the time I was born, or when I was very little- sad to say I don't have ANY memories of Campy at all.

I'll admit, I'm interested in the little guys too. Are they like Aussies- really need a lot of "busy" work, or are they content to curl up and just hang out??

YES!!! We have three and LOVE them
default_wub.png
I myself have miniature dachshunds, but mom/dad/sister have the shelties, and when I move out I am definitely going to have at least a sheltie along with my doxies
default_yes.gif
They're smart dogs, can be yappy at times
default_rolleyes.gif
, ours definitely let us know when someone is at the door (and sometimes when there isn't! :DOH! ) My mom babysits all ages of kids and the shelties get along great with them, compared to my dachshunds who'd rather be left alone..

This is our newest, sable boy Ace: He's still full of puppy (I believe he's 8 months now), entertains himself by chasing his tail, or he'll pick up a ball and toss it in the air to himself and catch it again lol

Pup

203_0499.jpg

More current:

100_1009.jpg

My mom's sheltie Fury: This dog is such a riot, is ball crazy, could play fetch all day, and can 'play' basketball
default_biggrin.png

100_0747.jpg

My dad's sheltie Blaze, my dad had a male sheltie at our old house named Chip, who unfortunately was hit and killed on the road
default_no.gif
Dad swore he'd never get another cause he couldn't replace Chip.. I came up with the idea of finding him one for Father's Day, siblings and mom agreed and I found this beauty, and we surprised him with her.. She's one of the prettiest shelties I've seen, beautiful face, body and coat, of course I may be biast (spelling?)
default_wub.png

100_1002.jpg

100_1010.jpg

The gang:

100_0744.jpg

awww.... they are so cute and pretty!

Pictures of my Abby.

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

DSC00439.jpg

We've worked with Abby since the very first day she came home. She has never been a bad yapper. She will bark when she doesn't know you and of course, when she thinks someone is at the door..... Oh and when the horses are acting up. She isn't allowed in with them, but she knows most of their names and if you tell one of them to knock it off she knows which one you are talking about. She keeps her eyes on everybody.. great with the kids.... she stays right with us no matter where we are. Once she's in the house she's laaazy.
default_smile.png
Which I love.

I did just buy one of those chuckit toys. Man.... those are the best! She plays for a while with that. Wears her out(and me).

I have found a breeder that is a miniature horse owner as well that is close to me. She has a blue bred to a tri.. .who knows maybe we will have a new addition sometime this year.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Once she's in the house she's laaazy
OURS TOO! lol Especially Blaze lol We don't allow ours out with the horses either, don't think either would hurt one another, but don't want to take the risk of a wrong-placed playful kick
default_unsure.png

Abby is beautiful
default_yes.gif
She's got the same coat color as our Fury, but she's got the pretty head like our Blaze
default_wub.png

Your all's shelties are so pretty!!!

I can't resist showing off my "Mamoth Sheltie" (a/k/a collie). She is very smart and a great watch dog. Her name is Kesley and she will be three years old this June... weighs in just over 70#
default_wub.png

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20034.jpg
Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20059.jpg

Kelsey%20--%2007062006%20--%20047.jpg

When our boys were 8 and 10 they each got a Sheltie puppy for their birthdays. They were the best choice for active kids. They are smart and loyal and just a joy. They do shed, but hey that is their only downside. They were with us for 14 years and passed away within a couple months of each other. I love Shelties and think they are beautiful inside and out!

Wow, Jill... it's been 3 years already? Time sure flies! I remember when you first got her. She is so pretty.

I actually like the shedding that shelties seem to do compared to some other dogs... all I find is little balls of fur. My brother has a Jack Russell. I think I would go bonkers if I had to clean up that short little hard to pick up hair his dog sheds. It's everywhere. Keeping the Shelties coats groomed is a chore with all the layers of hair. I just got Abby groomed a couple weeks ago. She looks so good and smells good too.

I had a sheltie when I was a teenager. My mom picked him up off the fast lane on the freeway. I had him for 3 years until he passed away from liver failure. He was a fun dog. Very hyper. That's why my husband won't let me get another. We lived by the railroad tracks. So everytime a train (or airplane, lawn mower, etc.) went by, he would run a circle around the yard. Pretty soon we had a race track from his constant running. :DOH! But he was fun. Rode 4-wheelers with us and went horseback riding. Very loyal.
default_smile.png

OK

I can't help myself, I love all the herding breeds, I have shared my life/home with Aus Cattle dogs, Aussies, and now Naked Collies. I absolutely adore my naked Collies, no burrs little mud easy to hose off, little brushing only when shedding, and I can shed them out in 1 day (80%) by a warm bath and blow dry while brushing when they start to blow coat. And if barn dog means they sleep in the barn, mine must be bed dogs....
default_biggrin.png

They are loyal, devoted and have a great "off" button but they always know what is going on around the farm, and alert me to a horse colicing, fox in the duck pen, or umm skunk at the door....

and they adore kids

Hallewantsdinner.jpg

HPIM0472.jpg

Amy

I love Shelties and have had them in the past - they are for the most part wonderful family dogs -- however, they do have a hair issue to deal with and a lot of them are very "barky" -- also, remember that these dogs were bred to herd and as such can by "busy" -- so it is important to make sure that you meet the mom & dad and see just how "hyper" they are and then work with the breeder to help you pick out a pup that is most suited to your specific needs - in every litter there will be a variety of dogs and some will have a "busier" attitude than others even tho it is hard to see in little puppies. If your child is a bit overcome by the antics and energy of a Boston, it would really pay off to start with a Sheltie that is a bit on the milder side.

Oh yes love Shelties...

Have had tri colors, and sables over the years and showed obedience. Purchased my first biblue about 9 months ago.... I don't have recent photos but do have this one...

Wonderful dogs, extremely smart, want to please, are known to bark a lot but mine does not. They do definately shed and have a lot of energy. Perfect country dog in my mind. Forgot to add that they can be "shy" but we socialized ours a LOT he absolutely LOVES people and other animals. He goes to all of the horse shows with us and enjoys himself very much.

This is our Sheltie "Tracker"

If you are interested in a blue pm me I can give you the website of a well known reputable breeder where I purchased mine from. She raises blues.

Mollybiblumal7wk0001.jpg

Shelties are my favorite breed! We have a few
default_wub.png
We spent about a year researching different breeds to see what would be best for us and we chose shelties. The downside is they are yappy! Sometimes I think that is where they got the idea of lassie talking to people because they love to talk to you! They do shed a lot twice a year and you need to keep them brushed thoroughly. You will also need to watch for fox tails that might get in between there toes.

The upside is they are very smart, they are nonaggressive, so don't expect them to defend you or your property. They will most likely hide till you get the situation under control. Once it is safe though they will charge out to announce the victory. :DOH! They are very loving and it will end your chances of ever going into another room or even the bathroom by yourself!

They don't fetch. if you throw a ball or something they will look at you as if to say "You threw it! You go get it!" They are Leary of strangers and usually won't go near anyone they don't know. For some reason, some will not come to you when called so you cannot let them out without a fence. Our most spoiled one is like that. She wants to sleep on your lap or around your neck, but if you call her she stops and waits for you to come and pick her up. They come in different sizes. The standard is 13 to 16 inches tall, but you will find them both under and over. Blue merles are my favorite too! I really like the color headed whites! I like the sable and the tris too! :DOH! So I guess I love them all.

With a young child I would suggest an adult dog because any puppy might be just a bit to energetic.

Shelia B.

Ours is excellent at playing fetch.....
default_smile.png

I have had about 6 shelties over the course of 30 years and all of them loved to fetch. They all were lap dogs HOWEVER are energetic and need something to do....our dogs loves children too and is so gentle.
default_smile.png

Oh Sheila you are right about going to the bathroom....dog has to sit at my feet when I'm well... you know.....LOL

Oh yes love Shelties...

Have had tri colors, and sables over the years and showed obedience. Purchased my first biblue about 9 months ago.... I don't have recent photos but do have this one...

Wonderful dogs, extremely smart, want to please, are known to bark a lot but mine does not. They do definately shed and have a lot of energy. Perfect country dog in my mind. Forgot to add that they can be "shy" but we socialized ours a LOT he absolutely LOVES people and other animals. He goes to all of the horse shows with us and enjoys himself very much.

This is our Sheltie "Tracker"

If you are interested in a blue pm me I can give you the website of a well known reputable breeder where I purchased mine from. She raises blues.

Mollybiblumal7wk0001.jpg

His color is amazing. I have never seen that color.

Kim

Shelties are the best! Beautiful, smart and loving!

I got my first sheltie 15 years ago. I showed for many

years in conformation and obedience, but now my dogs

are all old timers. Here are a few pictures of my shetland

sheepdogs.

Kelly.jpg

Mindynewchampion.jpg

halley.jpg

theshelties.jpg

Here's our boy...I was over to visit Lea Dill one day admiring all of her beautiful shelties that she breeds and ended up heading home with a puppy of my own!
default_biggrin.png
This is Teddy...

TeddyJune2006-1.jpg

This is out little guy. He is part Sheltie and part Corgi and let me tell you he just "keeps going and going and going" I am going to introduce him to the Energizer Bunny because I think Casey can keep up. I had no idea that these dogs had so much energy. All of my dogs in the past have been big with the smallest being our Dalmation and he weighed in at 65 pounds so to have a little one under foot after 20+ years of big dogs was quite a shock to us, but we love him so much and have spent hours just laughing at the antics from this little guy. Anyway here he is, Casey the Doodle Bug.

IMG_2529a.jpg

This photo was taken in October and believe it or not he did grow into those ears. He is now about 20 pounds and I think that he is done with the growing now.

Latest posts

Back