Any Dye Experts out there?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazee bout Kasspur

Reaction score
Hello....

Anyone have any experience with dying canvas? My red canvas buggy top got old, faded and torn so I replaced it with a brand new one this past Spring.

It has ALREADY faded to a blah yucky PINK. It's apparently lesser quality than the previous one and has a "sat out in the sun" look even though it's been stored under a carport and folded under.
default_no.gif

I thought maybe a dye-job would restore some of the color and get it back to looking new.

Any ideas? It's the canvas canopy that is used over tractors.

Thanks!

Lori

I'm not going to be much help here but I had a thought you might call a auto restorer (body shop) and see if they have any ideas. They might have something they use on convertible tops. Good luck

My husband (automotive technician) said there is a spray on dye made for car interiors...not the fabric part, but the vinyl or canvas in older car interiors. Try one of the automotive stores... Good luck!

I would go to your local hobby store and look for fabric dye. "Rit" comes to mind. I would try dying it red again , if that doesnt work then I would just go over it in black. You can do this in your washingmachine , but I would recomend doing this in a bucket on the driveway with gloves.

Good luck..... ask if there is a fabric sealer spray you can spray it with when you get the color you want, They make such sprays for oil and acrilic paintings so the sun wont ruin the painting.

I've dyed a lot of things in the past year...... One item I had laying in the car I noticed yesterday had faded where it was exposed to the sun. This item was dyed using rit dye. You can keep redying but using rit dye does fade out in light or sun.....I think they have a product that sets the color better but I don't know how much longer the color would last... You could redye if you don't mind doing it over................... You could also check into painting it . There are products that you buy to mix with paint colors to apply to fabric. Check at a craft store. Not sure how this would hold up on something that moves (cracking?). Google painting fabric and see what you can find. I saw on TV years ago how to paint a couch.

Latest posts

Back