Tell us about your screen name and/or avatar!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagalong

Reaction score
This is usually a fun and interesting thread on other forums - no matter what the topic of the forum itself is. Many of us have an unusual screen name - let's share how we chose it... or if your SN (screen name) is obviously you - tell us a story about your avatar or horses!

Along the way we can have some smiles... maybe some tears... and hopefully some hugs.

I'll start. Warning - this will be long-winded!

[SIZE=24pt]tagalong[/SIZE]

I picked Tag out of a litter of smooth fox terrier puppies born on the hunter/jumper/dressage farm where I used to work almost 18 years ago now... I laid her on a large envelope on the kitchen table and traced around her as her fat little week-old body wiggled and squirmed. I traced her outline and detailed her markings - so everyone else would know that this little girl was mine. My Tagalong.

She was by my side day & night. My best friend. My confidant. I cried on her. I told her all my secrets.. my fears... my worries... my hopes... my joys. She sat with me in the foaling stalls when we moved on to B.C. and an Arabian/mini farm on the slopes of the Rocky Mountains. She often helped the new moms with their newborns... staying in the corner of the stall On Guard and occasionally licking the baby on the nose. I worried about that at first but the mares trusted her. Tag loved the foals and kept watch over all of them - both Arabians and minis. She became a therapy dog. An agility champion. She raised her "little" sister, Folli the borzoi. They went everywhere together. We were a family.

This is Tag... on the agility course.

JUBHD-img005.jpg

And Tag with Folli...

XYWMK-Scans0001.jpg

She was really more of a Labrador in a terrier skin. She loved to swim - and would head out into the river just to swim against the current and try to catch sticks floating by. She had many memorable adventures - including trying to make friends with a very young grizzly bear cub whose mom used the creek pasture as her pathway down to the river.

Tag did not understand why I was less than excited about that little jaunt.
default_wacko.png

After many adventures in B.C., we were delighted to be able to move here to Washington for a while - for new adventures and new friends. Tag & Folli sat quietly in the waiting area at the immigration office while all the necessary paperwork was gone over. Well, it was far too hot to leave them in the truck - and everyone in that stressful environment enjoyed the peace they brought them...
default_wink.png

And then... the Dark Day came. Folli was snoozing in the sun with the other farm dogs. Tag was dancing in the barn aisle playing with a stick as I worked. Every so often I would throw it for her... and she would happily fetch it and come bouncing back. At one point I turned around and noticed the stick laying on the floor. No Tag. Odd. I called her. All the other dogs came in - but no Tag. I could feel the panic rising... I called up to our other barn on the hill to see if she had been naughty and snuck under the fence to run up there for a visit - as she had done a few times. They had not seen her. Now the panic set in.

I spent hours looking. I called and called until my voice was gone. I crawled through the rain forest of the watershed that borders the farm - over massive fallen cedar trees, through swampy gullies - calling and calling, begging, pleading. Folli struggled along in my wake, carefully weaving her skinny legs through the underbrush. She was designed for open spaces and speed - not bushwhacking! I could hear some of our boarders calling up and down the road and checking the ditches. I remember sitting on the tail gate of my truck up at the other barn, crying as it grew dark... and asking the boarders to please help find her - please.

Where was she?!!

It rained like a monsoon that night. I left the porch light on to guide her home. I prayed. Every hour or so I walked up to the gate and back, calling and calling. At one point, coyotes whooped in the distance and I wondered what they were so excited about... what had they found. I knew she was out there Somewhere... hurt - or else she would have come home. Injured, scared, wet and cold... holed up Somewhere waitng for me to find her and help her - hadn't I always?

The porch light stayed on. I spent my days searching - the shelters, the ditches - everywhere - and my nights doing my farm work. I made laminated posters with pictures of Tag on them... asking for any sightings... any help at all. A couple of psychic ladies called after they saw the posters and offered their help. None of that led to any clues. I spent hundreds of dollars on ads, gas and yet more posters.

But nothing.

It was as if she never existed - except in my heart. And Folli's. Days turned into weeks... then months. I never found her. I will always feel that I let her down. It was my job - my duty - to keep her safe - and I failed her when she needed me the most. She waited for me to come... and I never did.

It still hurts. The not knowing. Not knowing how scared she was. Not knowing if she suffered. Not knowing...
default_no.gif

Did a coyote ambush her? Did she get hit by a truck on our little road and crawl off to wait for help - help that never came? Did someone pick her up - and then decide they did not want her after all - and let her loose in an area she did not know? Did she try to come home - and something happened along the way?

Not knowing.
default_unsure.png

In time we brought a new little fox terrier into our lives. Folli loved her... and raised her... and little Fig followed her everywhere...

EJLRG-img001.jpg

PWKHB-Scans0002.jpg

Fig & I lost sweet, gentle Folli to cancer... and Tug the border terrier came into our lives. Not as a replacement for Folli - that would be impossible - but as his own little self. I love(d) all of them... but there will always be a hole in my heart where Tag used to live. She was The One.

Bored yet? Anyway... ever since I started wandering around the internet - I have always been tagalong. Unless - like at eBay - someone else had the gall to be tagalong first.
default_wink.png

From the day I first joined the LB forum in its original incarnation - I have been tagalong. And after I lost her - it was even more meaningful.

The porch light is still on at night. For Tag.

Lori

Next story...
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=24pt]Tapestry Minis[/SIZE]

This is our ranch name. I chose it for a few reasons. I am of English/Irish heritage and my husband is of English/Scottish heritage. I also LOVE wall tapestries and all kinds of old english textiles. Following along the lines of a tapestry they are woven of high quality materials and of many colors. Quality with Color....This also being our goal with our horses.

My Avatar is of Reeces Phantom Hawk our multi Supreme "A" Top Ten Honor Roll boy, just love him to pieces
default_wub.png

Tag...I felt the hole in your heart reading your story of Tagalong. The pic of Folli walking down the snow covered drive is beautiful...bittersweet. Yes... you brought tears to my eyes.

My screen name I had to shorten because when I first registered back in '98, someone had taken "Sterling Silver". Sterling Silver was a horse I knew at a barn I used to board at. He was such a beautifully unusual color. He was black framed and the "inside" of his body was black and white frosted...very pretty! Aside from the fact that I like sterling silver and white gold jewelry, that's how I chose my screen name. I tried some others too, but they did'nt go thru...other people had them or I had to tweak them and they just did'nt suit me. So Sterling it was.

In my avatar I have Hershee my tobiano driving boy, little Manny my creampuff sorrel with flaxen mane and tail...and the love of my life, my canine soul mate Lakota Iron Wolf, my Cane Corso. You can read all about her on my website if you'd like.
default_biggrin.png

Tag (Lori) --

That really made me cry! I am so sorry about the end, but she and you were lucky to have each other and share so much. I have a dog who's my best friend, too. He's a lazy boy and your Tagalong would think him very boring, but he is my heart. I love the name you gave her so much, too. I never knew that your screen name was for your dog, and that's the perfect name for a dog like her (choking up again)!

My screen name isn't anything mysterious. It's the name I've always been called. My middle name. Both my mom and sister also have always gone by their middle names.

In my avatar, all of my horses are shown. Mini, pony and biggie. They are each pictured once. It crossed my mind it could bring bad luck to one of them if I didn't include them each so every one of my hoofed wonders appears. Yes, I am that much of a superstitious goober.

Jill

Well mine is my name...in my avatar is my classic gelding Debut which is one of my most recent faverite photos
default_wub.png

Tag I loved reading that. What a fun thread. I get asked a lot why my name is kaykay.

This has been my nickname from childhood. My entire family calls me this and so does my husband. I was named after my aunt kay so to avoid confusion they called me kaykay. But actually it was always spelled K-K. But most forums wont let you do that.

In my avatar are Baxters Silver Sensation, Baxters Just Teasin Ya, Baxters Gossip Girl, Wauk A Way Feature Attraction.

Lori, those are beautiful photos to go along with your story. You made my eyes leak.

Your anguish is still so strong in your words. Funny how we so love all our critters but

some just have that ever lasting link to our soul. I'm so very sure your little Tagalong

never once doubted the depth of your love.

I am Equusize. It is my chosen form of exercise. I have friends that run, jog, go to the

gym....for their forms of exercise. I choose to clean my pony bedrooms within a inch of

their lives.....I choose to play with my ponies, keep them as clean they they'll allow before

running to the dirtiest spot in the pasture to roll the 'clean' off....I choose to dote on them.

That's my kind of exercise.

In my avatar is our pretty girl, Lady....she came to live with us this past February.

She fit into our lives like a glove.

Tagalong, that is a heart wrenching story.....and the pictures are awesome!!
default_wub.png
:wub

anoki is the name of my big horse....it was very bittersweet getting him. I traded my 'perfect' first horse for him. The only thing unperfect about my first horse was she was not sound in the mind (in other words too hot under saddle for me to deal with)! So Anoki came and turned out to be a much better dressage horse than my coaches and I thought!!
default_biggrin.png

In my avatar is a picture of Anoki (the paint), a winter scene of my herd of little horses, and of course Princess Moxie....who is pretty much the light of my life right now
default_wub.png

~kathryn

Tagalong... after having to let our very long time pet Heidi go.... your story brought tears to my eyes. Is so very hard lossing a pet for any reason. <hugs>

Me... just use my first name and avatar is Maggie, my mini mare I have had for for a long while.

Babygoose is my draft cross mares nickname and my avatar is my oversized mini mare Maggie Mae.

There is no story behind my choice of name; Mine is a combination of "my" two breeds....Mini and Morgan = Minimor

The red colt currently in my avatar is one of the two babies we bought this year--a BOB grandson we are calling Spirit.

Tagalong....I know how that hurts.

My name is my nickname because I raise miniature mules. My avatar is my logo that I designed for my farm.

What a great thread, over the years I have wondered where some of the names came from.

Lori - you have such a gift with words. I am so sorry what happened to your Tag, it brought tears to my eyes. Your photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures with us.

I used my name for my screen name, wasn't very creative when I signed up - my dad was watching a movie with Gena Rollins in it and is how he came up with my name Gena. I am also known as Stable Lane Design because of the miniature horse websites I design/host/maintain.

My avator is a picture of the button I made for LB. The photo I used for the button is a colt we had, Legacy, out of my favorite mare. I grew up with quarter horses in the Colorado mountains and eventually discovered miniatures after I was married, we had two quarter horses for us so we thought a mini would be fun for our kids. My hubby grew up showing in 4H, his dad was a 4H Extension Leader in Colorado for many years. Little did we realize how much the minis would become a part of our life. We had 16 horses at one point. We share so many wonderful memories as a family, it was a great way for our kids to grow up! We have met so many wonderful people because of the miniature horses!

As many know we had to find good homes for our herd a few years ago and sell our home because of my husbands job. Its because of wonderful LB and our horse friends we are surviving without horses. I have faith we will have miniature horses again.

Tagalong, I had a kitty when I was younger that the same thing happened to....it was devastating.

My screen name is pretty self-explanatory...

My avatar is Fascination, my primary competition horse. She's done pretty much everything, and has competed to the highest level (for minis) in Combined Driving. This was taken at a Pleasure Driving show in June of this year. The up close of this picture is fantastic!! She has a ridiculous trot, which we use to full advantage whenever we can.

Tag I have always enjoyed reading your posts and enjoying your opinions- I am so sorry for your loss, your post also moved me.

My name is pretty simple, but I will be changing it shortly, as it's no longer really 'me'-

When I first got into minis, I was really drawn to the App's as they won't win in the hunter ring, but I could still have Mini spots running around my pasture!

My first mini was a little Appy gelding, and I love him still-

The horse pictured in my avatar is my favorite mini mare-

Chantilly Acres Ice Storm. She is a Fire and Ice daughter, and my spoiled rotten brat- everyone else cannot stand her snotty ways asides myself, but I love her all the more for them. She has produced 3 stunning fillies for me, and a Stunner of a colt this year. She is homozygous for the black gene, and is a fantastic producer.

She's the first to greet me, first to everything, and I adore her. She also happens to be quite the looker. ;)

Awww Tag that is heart breaking.

Well Marty is my nick name, always has been since I was a kid there are too many of us in my family with my "real" first name

The avatar of course is My Archangel Michael.
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_hypocrite.gif

I can't even say his name without crying.

Tag-a-long

I felt your pain reading your post. We had the same thing happen with my girl Nellie my black cocker spaniel but with better results miraculously she re appeared two days later and we still have no idea where she was.We think someone in the neighborhood had let her in and got frightened when they realized everyone was looking for her but she is and has been here 5 years since then. Anyway my screen name is the one I have also always used for all forums on the Web. I live in the backwoods of Maine and am nanny to 6 beautiful grand children. Well truthfully nanny only to 1 and nana to the rest. I always said before I had grandchildren that I wanted to be grammy when I had grandchildren but the first one changed that and when he learned to talk I was na na so then I said well Ok the only thing I would object to would be to be called nanny like a nanny goat Well, grand child 1-3 called me nana but when #4 arrived he called me Na ne a cross between nana and grammy and still today and he is 15 I am HIS nanny but nana to the rest. Hence the name backwoodsnanny.

Wow Tag way to start us all off crying.. I loved your story , very sweet and touching...

My name is Missy and I sell Longaberger Baskets, so I became Basketmiss, a combinatoin of Basket and Missy..

My avatar Jill made me(thanks again Jill) It is pix of my Biggee-Suman, my Daughter, my Family, my Mini-Giddy, my Chow Chow -Bryson, and our old Chow Chow -Madison who died 2 years ago (age 14) - totally ripped my heart right out when I had to have Madison put down (making me cry again)

Thanks for starting this Tag, it is a great thread...

I'm not very creative...mine is my name. I've had 3 screen names here over the years...

my first name was Brutus- the name of the black lab in my avatar...I changed it because everyone thought I was a man...not that it mattered much, but I'm not. So I changed it to Fordney Farms...again not very creative, that's what I called my hobby farm...the name of the road we live on. When I sold all my animals I changed my name again to just my first name.

((hugs)) Tag, what a sad story, my heart aches for you.

That story brought tears to my eyes.
default_sad.png

Years ago, I was reading an Iris Johansen book and it had the name "Kanoa" in it. According to the book, Kanoa meant "The Free One" in Hawaiian. I loved the name as soon as I read it and the meaning also. Then when I signed up online, I wanted something original, and I've always been intrigued with magical, mystical things, and Destiny is along those lines. I put the two together and got KanoasDestiny. So basically, my screen name is "The free one's destiny", which is an oxy-moron.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back