Anxiously awaiting my first mini foal!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katie

Reaction score
I did all my research prior to breeding last spring, so I am aware and prepared for all the risks involved in the "mini" world of foaling. We have been breeding hunter ponies for about 20 years so we at least have "foaling out" experience. My first mare has started bagging up so I did a little more reading and to be honest it has me a little nervous! When I entered the miniature horse show ring I found everyone to be so kind, helpful, and most of all supportive, so I am reaching out again for a little support. Any advice, concerns, and words of encouragement are GREATLY appreciated!!! Thank you all... and happy foaling!

Hi, Katie --

It is really good you already have foaling experience. That is sure to come in handy.

The most important advice when it comes to mini foaling is you have got to be there. Often times, the foals are unable to get ouf of the sack by themselves (too thick for as little as they are) and they can smoother.

We use an inexpensive wireless camera system (Swann Nighthawk) and a halter buzzer that will make a steady buzz when the mare lays in the foaling position. The cameras carry sound. It makes it easy to make sure we are out to the barn in time to help if need be.

Good luck!

Jill

default_saludando.gif
WELCOME Katie! Minis are a wonderful new world of Equine!!!! Glad you have previous foaling experience...it will come in handy when the time comes!!!

I agree with Jill that the most important thing is to be there!!! I also have the Swann Night Hawk wireless camera with a foal buzzer...the buzzer was a life saver for my little filly as it woke me up just in time to get out to the barn. I had to rip the sac as it was too tough and didn't break open when mom got up. Trixie would have smothered if I didn't get her out and message the fluid from her nose.

GOOD LUCK and Healthy foaling vibes!!!!!
default_aktion033.gif

My advice is, expect the unexpected and know what to do for the different possible dystocias. There have been many instances in my experience when a foal's leg was back or over it's head, or presented as a red bag, and it's imperative in most cases that you are at least somewhat familiar with what to do, because waiting for a vet may be too late for the foal. With your foaling experience, I'm sure that you are.
default_smile.png

If you make every effort to be present for the birth, chances are you will be rewarded with a live, active foal, which is a great blessing. Good luck!

Where did you guys get your cameras and foal buzzers?? I actually think we have cameras somewhere we just hadnt set them up since renovating the house. I can actually see about 80% of the foaling stall from my bedroom window which is a huge help. Of course she usually likes to sleep in the 20% that I cannot see! Last night she had me up for about an hour watching her... she was super restless and tossing straw around and kept sitting on the wall. So I finally went down there to see what was up and it turns out she was super itchy from the rain and trying to find any crumb of hay she could find! She was very confused as to why I was in the barn at 2 o'clock in the morning and in my pjs- little stinker. Anyways so far she is just as happy as can be and as wide as she is tall, I just want to squeeze her every time I see her! Thanks for responding!!!!

Latest posts

Back