Another training question....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut

Reaction score
This will be my second year of showing with our club. I have set small goals for myself again this year. They're reasonable and achievable, but I'm already starting to over think it all which leads to being anxious. Blech.
wacko.gif

To keep this short, how long should it take the "average" horse owner to train their horse to "stand" like you'd want in a halter class? I've been re-reading some older posts on the subject and have picked up on some ideas on how to improve upon what we've been doing, but now I need a realistic idea on how long it should take so I know if we're progressing appropriately or needing to start back at square one. I realize there are a ton of potential variables, so I'll keep that in mind as I read your answers.

One thing I know we need to work on is keeping her focus on me and what we're doing. My husband pointed that out to me tonight. She was definitely distracted and her attention was on practically everything but me. I don't expect we'll be perfect in the ring any time soon, but I'd like to not make a complete fool out of either of us. And as the human in the equation, I guess I mean just me.
laugh.gif

Clear as mud? I hope so!
smile.gif

As I think you expected to hear...it depends.
default_biggrin.png
Are you talking "stand for halter" as in set all four feet and then not move? That takes awhile to train. If you just mean to stand still and not move, that can be done with a few minutes of training every day and just depends on the horse's attention span and willingness to learn it. I've never kept track of how long it took to teach, I only look for the horse to make a little progress with each session and I'm happy.

Leia

I will probably get flamed but it takes me anywhere from a couple days to about a week. If the horse already knows walk, trot, whoa it takes about 2-3 days. If I am starting from scratch about a week.

I do not like to over train for halter.

I posted a video on here a couple years ago of training a shetland and she got it the very first time we tried to set her up. People thought I was joking and that she had already been trained. Nope it was her first time lol.

I was just practicing with Feature Saturday and he was distracted by the smells of mares in heat. One good pop from the lead rope and I had his full attention.

The good news is that she leads well. Stops well when I stop while walking her. She just moves around a lot after that. I've seen her stand well out in the paddock, so I know she can physically do it...LOL!

I think we just need to focus on this one aspect for a while until we're both in a good place with it. Whether that takes a week or a month? I'll just have to keep at it and see.

Thanks!

I had a hard time understanding how to teach the stand when just reading about it. But at recent shows I had someone SHOW me how to teach it. Now I get it and have found my colt is picking it up pretty quickly. We still have some kinks to work out since he is a thinker and will try new things to avoid doing what I want.

The good news is that she leads well. Stops well when I stop while walking her. She just moves around a lot after that. I've seen her stand well out in the paddock, so I know she can physically do it...LOL!

I think we just need to focus on this one aspect for a while until we're both in a good place with it. Whether that takes a week or a month? I'll just have to keep at it and see.

Thanks!
The only advice I can give is patience - which is another thing you didn't need to hear. Since she leads walk her forward (don't look at her; keep your eyes looking where you are headed; think in your head stop [and maybe 1,2] combine this with whoa). Work with her to time this so when you stop she stops and yes it's linked to her focusing on you. Step in front of her and if she moves either position her back again or start from the beginning. EVERY time she moves before you release her "attention". Some horses "get it" quicker than others. Yes, it is easier for an experienced person than someone who is just guessing at what they are doing. You then have to slowly build the time she will stand without moving.

A trainer got my 2 yr stallion to square and stand and give neck in just about 5 minutes. (3 trips up and down the aisle) It took me another 2 years of showing before he would act like that with me. He's now 8 and my daughter (44) is just beginning to get him to listen to her after a year of showing him. A lot depends on the person handling. You need to get comfortable with what your asking her to do. You need to work out in your head what you will do and get it so you do it the same each and every time.

Do you feed her treats? I'm not saying give loads of treats by hand but it will get her attention and when she does what you want, it's a reward as well as the praise you give her. Just read a study in Equus mag. about how horses learn quicker ( or at least they pay more attention to) from the person using food to reinforce possitive behavior.

Sandee: I read that same article (love that magazine!). I had up to now avoided treats in training but I considering using them, in moderation.

We have a show on Sunday and I am hoping to ask a couple of my friends (who have been doing this far longer than I ) if they can give me a pointer or two. I would like to go back to work with my trainer but the $$ aren't there right now.

Not many people seemed to comment when I posted about it the first time, but I wrote an article for a new online magazine regarding successfully and safely using treats in your training program. You might want to check it out now. http://smallequineonline.com/SEOLMag.html

I recommend you read the article Click mini mentions. It is a thoroughly well written piece with lots of really useful info on how to feed treats without it becoming a problem.
default_smile.png

When training our horses for halter class I use a lot of aids, voice, treats and most important body language. When walking or trotting forward, look forward, when I stop my horse should stop, reward, use voice commands for walk, trot whoa, lots of praise, when they have that down treat. When teaching to stand up, set them up from the side, walk to the front, shoulders to the horse, say stand, even if they only stand one second, praise, treat, keep it up until they get the idea that they need to stand square when your shoulders are square facing them. Minis learn fast, pretty soon you won't need the voice commands, just the body language. They learn so fast sometimes when you stop they will set themself up, looking for praise or a treat. Once they learn to stand squared up you can work on getting neck. That is harder as some will want to walk towards you, each time they take a step go back to the stand lesson, then with treat in hand continue to see if you can get them to stretch the neck with out moving their feet. It takes patience. You can try putting a peppermint in your mouth, get it good and wet and let your horse smell it, then put it back in you mouth, it will help to teach him to focus on your face, then put it in your hand to teach him to follow your hand. when he does what you want give it to him as a reward. Don't forget to give him space and to stay out of yours. Stallions are bad for keeping focused and paying attention, so you may need to snap the halter to get them back onto you. Getting ears! OMG there is no one way to do this you just need to practice with your horse and see what works, plastic, coins in you glove, hitting your belt buckle with a ring what ever, when you find it, be sure to reward him for giving ears, practice, practice, practice.

Clickmini: I saved that link for further reading and then promptly forgot about it! Thanks for the reminder.

Riverrose28: More great information. Thank you!!!

Latest posts

Back