Another new Mini and Another color question..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangoMango

Reaction score
Just got this guy Friday, Im pretty sure he is a pintaloosa, but what type of paint and appy patterns does everyone see? Oh, and he has one blue eye.

Thanks for looking,.

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

IMG_1828.jpg

IMG_1825.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
With the roaning on his face I'd say he carries the appy varnish roan, the couple spots are probably spotted blanket, possibly leopard.. Since he has one blue eye he either carries LWO and/or splash, and judging by the amount of white on him *I* would lean more toward splash than LWO (but best to test anyway if a breeding stallion) and could possibly be carrying tobiano..

I don't see much pinto in him....looks appy to me!
default_biggrin.png
Congrats on your new guy.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

He Sedah, Its hard to see from the pics,. but he has grey coloring on both flanks and his head is all grey too.

Im either going to have to learn color traits or stop buying these odd colored horses.. LOL

He is technically "pintaloosa", he's obviously appy no question there, and he FOR SURE carries frame or splash, the ONLY two ways to get blue eyes.. With some pintaloosas the appy is expressed heavier than the pinto, masking the pinto patterns depending on how they "lay", and vice versa, some pintaloosas are born looking pinto and do not exhibit appaloosa until a few years down the road..

Well, let's not go overboard here....we have no actually proof that LWO and Splash are the only ways to get blue eyes, we just strongly believe them to be!

I would say Splash/ Sabino and possibly Tobiano, as he has a technically solid head with a blaze.

How big is he??

Do you know his breeding??

What are your intentions for him??

He is 37". I bought him with no papers. Im thinking keeping him a stud to see what he will throw.

Thanks for the help.. Looks like sending out for some testing on him.

Just curious, but were no papers available?

I am having a hard time seeing him as a stud without papers.

He is 37". I bought him with no papers. Im thinking keeping him a stud to see what he will throw. Thanks for the help.. Looks like sending out for some testing on him.
Congratulations on your new boy, I am sure he'll have a good home where he'll be loved.

There are so many registered minis studs with great comformation, pedigrees, and yes, some even have great color to boot, too, leave the breeding to them.

I say geld him and enjoy him.

If it were me, with as many minis as there are in the world, I would not breed for unregistered foals. Just my opinion.

Kind face...probably same temperament. I'm with Carolyn, he would be a fun gelding.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and the advice.

As for breeding him, those are my plans. He has nothing glaringly wrong with him. And he is better quality than a lot of registered horses I have seen. I figure he should mature close to 40" and Im looking to breed him to larger mares, for a larger "mini" I think 46-50" is a nice size and you cant register them as a mini anyway.

And not everyone wants to pay $2000 for a show quality mini.

Pet quality are still in demand here, A LOT of people just want a "mini" for a companion or for a little driving. With the full sized horse prices in the toilet, the mini prices here have stayed steady.

While I'm not a mini breeder but a breeder in the dog world (re: Great Danes) in all honesty a comment like that makes me cringe.

With the economy the way it is there are horses of all sorts including minis who are in need of homes and the production of pets just created for pets sake is sad.

Pets are common produce from even the grandious of breedings.

And since minis are minis due to height (like some dog breeds that may be under or over standard) I bet alot of them go oversize as it is.

Just my own thoughts here.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and the advice.As for breeding him, those are my plans. He has nothing glaringly wrong with him. And he is better quality than a lot of registered horses I have seen. I figure he should mature close to 40" and Im looking to breed him to larger mares, for a larger "mini" I think 46-50" is a nice size and you cant register them as a mini anyway.

Pet quality are still in demand here, A LOT of people just want a "mini" for a companion or for a little driving. With the full sized horse prices in the toilet, the mini prices here have stayed steady.
You didn't come here for a critique, obviously you have your mind made up. All I can say is research, research , research and more research.

There are pet quality minis produced from show quality minis, it is not intentional, but it happens. I just can't justify intentially breeding for pet quality, putting my mares and myself through that stress......One vet bill for a minor issue can easily consume any monetary value that mini may generate for you. A foal check and an IGg test along with the vet call charge runs about $150-200. Vaccines for a foal, even giving the series yourself, will run about $125 for the 3 month series of shots and boosters. Hoof care, unless you do it yourself, will run anywhere from $15-$35, depending on what part of the country you live in, that isn't even counting feed, hay,wormer, and suppliments.

This all costs the same wether it is a pet quality or show quality mini. Providing proper care isn't something that should only be done for the show horses, they all deserve it. I don't see how you can break even breeding pet quality and giving them the care they need and deserve until you can place them in a responsable home.

I lost a foal earlier this year, one trip to the animal hospital to try to save him, he was there 4 hours, then the decision was made to put him down....$1000, worth every penny knowing I did what I could to give him a fighting chance. It takes nerves of steel at times, a ton of patience, and money to get a healthy foal on the ground, and even more nerves of steel, patience and money to keep them healthy and problem free once they are on the ground.

I need to put my soapbox away now, I am sure others will want to use it.

The 46"-50" isn't a mini it is a grade pony, maybe the topic should be moved to the pony talk forum.........

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and the advice.As for breeding him, those are my plans. He has nothing glaringly wrong with him. And he is better quality than a lot of registered horses I have seen. I figure he should mature close to 40" and Im looking to breed him to larger mares, for a larger "mini" I think 46-50" is a nice size and you cant register them as a mini anyway.

With the economy the way it is, there are lots of AMHA/AMHR quality stock (pet & show) much cheaper than $2,000. I hope you think long & hard before you choose to breed more pet quality unregistered oversize miniatures (which in all honesty are pony's you are breeding for at a 46-50" range). There are lots of oversize miniatures from registered stock or ones that have outgrown their papers that you can buy all day long for $300-$500. I just bought two gorgeous, very well bred AMHA/AMHR registered mares for $500 each. I also bought a stunning AMHA/AMHR mare in foal at the Hoosier sale for $600. These girls are all between 32"-33.5" tall.

I also just received notice from a humane society about the rescue of 15 miniature horses here in California. What once were well bred and of quality minis, were over-bred and the owners could not sell them or find homes for them. So the humane society stepped in to try and find homes for these mini's. They are available for whatever you want to donate. This is what happens when people are not breeding to "improve" the breed and just breeding for fun pets.

I am not trying to criticize as much as open your eyes to whats at stake. If you are going to breed, why not breed to breed standard? It costs the same to raise a good one as it does to raise a pet or lesser quality.

My thought, just because it has testicles does not mean it should be bred....

To add to what others have already so eloquently stated, I would like to ask you to take a step back, really look at this animal, evaluate the quality of this animal, and educate yourself. I highly recommend getting yourself a couple of good conformation reference books. I can recommend a few excellent references on the subject. He isn't horrible, be he leaves a lot to be desired of a breeding animal (of any height range) and I am not even taking into consideration the fact that he does not have a registration certificate. You did not ask for a critique of his conformation and I will not provide one, but when you post a topic (especially that includes a picture) others are free to comment.

If he were mine he would already be seperated from his testicles and he would be introduced to a harness!

regardless of breeding him or not - I'm glad he's going to a good home that can properly care for him. He has a kind eye, and nice color.

Carolyn, Im sorry to hear about the foal you lost.

Im not new to breeding, I bred registered Percherons , AMHA AND AMHR for years. I can guarantee I know how to properly care for foals.

As for breeding him , if his first foal or 2 didnt turn out like what I was hoping , I would have gelded him anyway, with no "urging" needed. Im looking to breed ONE mare to him as a test breed to see what they will throw. I think he and this mare would make a very nice cart pony.

Thanks Ruffian, I expect with some proper feed and care , he will look very different in the spring.

Personally, I would like to evaluate him once he is properly conditioned, fed and clipped down/cleaned up. I have seen MANY registered horses that I cringed at in pasture condition but drooled over once dolled up. Im not saying it will correct any bad conformational features but it will make him more appealing to the eye! This guy could be a real shiner underneath it all. 

As far as breeding registered vs unregistered - it all depends on what YOU want to do. I hate to see people getting bashed over stuff like this. Some of the most gorgeous horses I've ever seen were grade horses - miniature or not. Papers are papers and you don't judge a horse by his papers. I would much rather buy a beautiful grade horse than an ugly registered one.

TangoMango: I think he has some unique coloring on him and I would like to see pictures of him properly posed, cleaned up, clipped, and after he's been under your feed regimine as I would LOVE to see how much he changes. 

Latest posts

Back