Another hardship question. . . name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaprikorn

Reaction score
Well, we are all into the hardship. . . Here is my quandry

I am planning on hardshipping my AMHR stallion, Scottie, and need you thoughts.

Since I am going into AMHA. . .is it ok to change his name ? or would most of you leave it alone? Would it be impolite to rename him for AMHA? DO not want to offend breeder. . .but just wondering.

He has won a National title in AMHR and will be shown in both this year.

Thanks

Name him whatever you want. Personally, I don't like farm names on a horse's registered name, so if I hardship then I just leave the farm name off. If the breeder wanted their farm name on the horse, they could have registered in the other registry.

Andrea

Really, its up to you what you want to name him. If you want to keep the name the same to keep records simple; then you might need the breeders permission to use their prefix/suffix, if they registered it with the registry. The registries don't really care what their name is with another registry.

I totally agree with Disney Horse - it's your horse and your money so you can name it whatever you want.
default_yes.gif
Neither association cares what name you put on the horse. All of my horses are double registered, so whenever I buy a horse that is only registered in one association I always hardship it into the other association. Since I'm the one paying all the money, then I put MY farm name on the horse. In my opionion, if the breeder wanted their farm name on the horse then THEY should have paid all the money to hardship the horse.
default_yes.gif

First, congratulations on your National win. I actually remember you stallion from Nationals.

Personally, I find it annoying when a horse has 2 different names, especially stallions. And from a publicity standpoint, if his foals are going to be both AMHA and AMHR registered, name recognition is going to be easier to obtain if your horse has only 1 name.

Aside from that, while it is your right to give the horse any name you want, my personal opinion is that it is discourteous to the breeder to not at least offer to keep the name the breeder chose. After all, a prefix usually (obviously, not always) is taken as a claim that I bred the horse, which I did not.

Of course, that assumes that the prefix on your horse is the breeder's prefix to begin with!

I've hardshipped quite a few horses from AMHA to AMHR and from ASPC to AMHR and have registered some with PtHA and I have always worked with the breeder to get the necessary permission to use their prefix so that I can give the horse the same name with both registries. The only time I would not do this is if the name chosen by the breeder was offensive.

If you are concerned about offending the breeder, ask them what their opinion is. Some will not care. Others will have strong opinions about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it is very disrespectful to the breeder to change a horse's name. I would never do it, as it feels like taking credit for something I didnt do. As said above it also makes it very confusing when they have 2 different names.

My opinion is not for or against the breeder, but I just find it rather annoying when purchasing a horse if it has two names. Something to consider if some day far far away you decide you should have to place him in a new home.

If I payed the kind of money it takes to hardship a stallion into AMHA, it will have the name I want it to have. I am the one taking the time, trouble and money to get the horse registered, not the breeder. Plus if the breeder has their prefix registered with AMHA, you can't use it unless you get their permission first. Give him the name you want him to have.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're the one writing the check for the hardship fee and doing the leg work. It's totally up to you in my opinion. Keeping the original name may not even be an option without special permission if the prefix is owned by another. You should do what you think will make you the happiest years down the road
default_yes.gif

I have hard-shipped several horses in to AMHA and AMHR. I prefer registering so that all their papers read the same in each registry. It makes the paperworkd a lot easier. Also,AMHA will put unknown on their papers, at least you can go to the AMHR or ASPC registry studbooks and look the horse up to see the background of the horse.

Years ago when people were registering horses into AMHA many of the horses were registered with totally different names. It kind of gave the impression that people were trying to hide the parentage of the horse.

Just my two cents.

I don't like a horse having two different names, but we have hardshipped in several horses over the years and for the money and time we spent doing that, you bet I put our farm name on that horse in that registry.

I know for a fact that one mare we own already had papers in one registry and when I went to register her foal in that registry, I was told I could not use that name, so I had to hardship her in under a different name. I did so at great cost, putting her under my farm name. Lo and behold, several years later, I was contacted by the breeder of that same mare and told she did have papers in the registry under her old name. To boot, the registry had made a mistake and listed my mare's dam as deceased-but the breeder still had her at age 22 and going strong. She was still able to breed but the breeder did not breed her because the registry refused to reinstate her in their records as being "alive" and therefore her foals could not be registered. Seems that someone had written the registry, told them the horse had died and they pulled her records. I am not sure that they could do that but that was the story I got. Anyway, I did contact the registry, told them my mare was listed in the registry twice under two names-same horse. They did pull the old records and told me they could not "combine" them. When I asked why they had just not pulled her old records years before when I was told I had to hardship her in, no one could explain it. This happened several years ago and the dam of my mare is most likely gone now, since my mare is well over 20 now, but it does cause problems occasionally when you have to re-name the horse.

I think it is very disrespectful to the breeder to change a horse's name. I would never do it, as it feels like taking credit for something I didnt do. As said above it also makes it very confusing when they have 2 different names.
Thats just how I feel , it seems underhanded somehow

Personally, I would make his name the same in both registries. You can confuse some people when you go to sell the horse and it has two names. Some people (non-horse savy) may think you are trying to pull something and may try to say the papers belong to two different horses.

Also,AMHA will put unknown on their papers, at least you can go to the AMHR or ASPC registry studbooks and look the horse up to see the background of the horse.
That's a good point. I have had a hard time tracking down ancestors for some horses when the name has changed from one registry to the other.

We put our own name on horses that we hardship because most of the time now the breeders have it so you can't use their prefix. I'd prefer to just knock of the prefix entirely, but my grandparents don't see my side on that one and since they provide the moola, I don't argue with the calls they make. I DO however make sure I always advertise the horse using the original name with the breeders prefix. I kind of agree with others who say it's like taking credit for something they didn't do, BUT think about when you breed a mare and then sell her in foal. The person who owns the mare at the time of foaling did not do the breeding, but kind of gets to take the credit, right? Because they were the ones that owned the foal at the time of registering? Yep, kind of like hardshipping. The person hardshipping is now the person owning the horse and if they're putting out that kind of money, well then I think they're entitled to choose whatever name they want.

So I see both sides
default_smile.png

I can see both sides in that you are paying for the registration and you'd like to have it with your name. If that were the only thing to consider, I'd like all my horses "re-registered" (if it was possible) because I'm the one showing them and it seems like free advertising for the breeders. I believe that up to 50% of the placings depends on who's handling the horse so I don't feel the argument about disrespecting the breeder holds any water.

However, I really dislike the fact that one horse has to go by different names in each registry. It's confusing when trying to look up ancestry and show records. I have one that because Pinto limited the characters I had to put only letters instead of the breeders name but it's still close.

I can't imagine a breeder not wanting his name on the horse in a second registry. After I bought one of mine, we (the breeder and I) found out that the dam had double papers that hadn't been kept up. So we put in a late registry and AMHR didn't want to use their name. The breeder stepped into the "discussion" I was having with the registry and wal-la the registry changed their tune.

I vote on the side of keeping the same name in all registries if possible.

We put our own name on horses that we hardship because most of the time now the breeders have it so you can't use their prefix. I'd prefer to just knock of the prefix entirely, but my grandparents don't see my side on that one and since they provide the moola, I don't argue with the calls they make. I DO however make sure I always advertise the horse using the original name with the breeders prefix. I kind of agree with others who say it's like taking credit for something they didn't do, BUT think about when you breed a mare and then sell her in foal. The person who owns the mare at the time of foaling did not do the breeding, but kind of gets to take the credit, right? Because they were the ones that owned the foal at the time of registering? Yep, kind of like hardshipping. The person hardshipping is now the person owning the horse and if they're putting out that kind of money, well then I think they're entitled to choose whatever name they want.

So I see both sides
default_smile.png
In Ireland and the UK the person who owns the mare at the time of covering is the person whos prefix goes on the resulting foal whether the mare is sold or not , 99% of people here stick by that too because you would be really frowned upon if you didnt

When I did all our horses AMHA to AMHR I left the same name, for my own convenience of having the same names. But if I have to hardship a horse now with the associated fees, I'll name it what I want! The breeder didn't want to spend the $$, for whatever reason, which is their choice. The pedigree will be unknown/unknown regardless.

It's a personal decision and you should make the call it's your wallet!

The breeder didn't want to spend the $$, for whatever reason, which is their choice.
That is not always true. Many of us sell them before they are at the age to hardship, so cannot hardship them.

If you buy a pregnant mare you are not listed as the breeder even though you put your farm name on the foal. Which is as it should be.

Kay

Then what do you do if the breeder isn't the person that put the farm name on the horse in the first place, who's name should be on the horse.

Example: Little Horse Molly Belle is being hardshipped into AMHA. Little Horse farm is who sold you the horse but the actual breeder is Tiny Horse Farm. Little Horse bought the mare in foal and while not the breeder, they put their farm name on Molly Belle. So should I put Tiny Horse Molly Belle because that is giving the breeder their credit? And what do you do if the prefix is reserved and the farm is no longer in minis so you can get in contact with them for permission to use the name or they just don't answer or they don't allow it.

I'm sorry, there is just to much trouble on top of the money, the time and getting the horse inspected and measured. Name the horse what you want to, its your $1200 + in the end that makes him an AMHA horse, not the breeder.

Back