Another hardship question. . . name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well when you put it like that I can see why you would put your own name on it lol

Name the horse what you want to, its your $1200 + in the end that makes him an AMHA horse, not the breeder.
Minimom you know I luv ya
default_smile.png
Just didnt want this coming off personally.

Doesnt really matter what registry the horse is hardshipping into, but I have to say if one of mine hardships into AMHA (and I have 2 that I sold that might) I hope they chose to keep the name I gave I put on them when I registered them.

Its not an accident when they mature nice enough (and lets face it small enough) to hardship into AMHA. Or nice enough to spend hardshipping ASPC to AMHR. Its years of planning the right breedings etc.

I totally get that its the owners money and they can do what they want. I guess with so much hardshipping going on it will probably start being written into contracts. Ill will probably now start writing it into my own contracts
default_smile.png

Just a short story. Wauk A Way farm sold a stunning overo stallion a few years ago. He ended up winning at Pinto Nationals, but with a different name (hardshipped to pinto) I tried and tried to explain to Wauk a Way how it happened but to this day I dont think they understood how a horse with their name and breeding got a new name in a different registry. To them it was just a horrible thing to do.

Oh Kaykay, you know I luv you too and I don't take anything personally. I think everyone has a reason for thinking they way they do. And a good debate has to have two opposing sides. So I still like you even if I sometimes don't agree with you.

So even if you have it in your contract, you give signed permission to use your prefix, two years later they hardship the horse and don't use your prefix. What can you do? You won't find out unless someone tells you because you won't be looking for a different name. Or say they sell the horse and that buyer hardships the horse and doesn't use your prefix. They didn't sign the contract so there is no recourse. There is just to much out there to keep up with to be able to police this too.

I understand both sides. If you go through all the expense and trouble to hardship, and want to use your own farm name... but then again, you weren't the breeder. I guess it's a personal choice what to do.

In my own experience... 29 years ago we bought our stallion, Jet as a foal, we also bought his half sister. The breeder sold them both on application and we put our farm name on them both. At the time i felt that if i am paying to register them, i might as well put my own farm name on them.

But over the years, i kind of wish i hadn't. I probably should have left a pre fix off altogether.

So, now 2 years ago, I bought another stallion. He was only AMHA reg. So I hardshipped him into AMHR.. I just dropped the farm prefix, and kept the rest of his name. I just feel better about doing it this way.

Latest posts

Back